Gameday Thread: Week 3 Giants @ Browns

Shockwave

36 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Winning feels great. DJ still sucks, but Nabers is a god. Defense showed out. Deshaun Watson is garbage and I'm mad he was still standing at the end of the game. 

Winning feels great though!

I didn't watch the game. But DJs stat line looked pretty good against a good Cleveland defense. Would you say the numbers are misleading or he had a solid game?

1 minute ago, w4rrior723 said:

I didn't watch the game. But DJs stat line looked pretty good against a good Cleveland defense. Would you say the numbers are misleading or he had a solid game?

He didn't complete a single deep ball and all of his attempts were really far off. He also made a bone headed pass that he's insanely lucky wasn't picked, and he did throw an awful interception that was nullified by a roughing the passer penalty. Even his touchdown passes were off target and Nabers bailed him out. Definitely a misleading stateline. 

15 hours ago, minutemancl said:

He didn't complete a single deep ball and all of his attempts were really far off. He also made a bone headed pass that he's insanely lucky wasn't picked, and he did throw an awful interception that was nullified by a roughing the passer penalty. Even his touchdown passes were off target and Nabers bailed him out. Definitely a misleading stateline. 

Looking back, I may be just a bit too harsh. That "bone headed pass" was a play where his arm got hit, and according to Dabs in the postgame press conference, they actually did have a receiver open on the throwback, as was designed. And while the first TD pass was definitely too high, the second one was good recognition and was a good enough throw.

Still wasn't a great performance. And he won't have a great performance until/if he starts hitting these deep balls. That is when we will finally be able to really unlock Nabers. But it was good. The Browns defense is really, really good and Jones did a really good job avoiding pressure. He still didn't recognize free rushers on 2 plays, but he navigated the pocket really well.

Dexter Lawrence, of course, has the most sacks on the team. But he's tied up there with 3 alongside Jason Pinnock. Pinnock also has 3 TFLs and a PD. Bowen has been utilizing Pinnock's athleticism to great effect so far. Everyone got involved in the sack party yesterday, and we're going to need to keep that up if we want to have a chance on Thursday. Did you know we haven't sacked Dak since 2021? 

@Shockwave, create that next GDT!

Shockwave, you called it brudda. This win was something we needed desperately. With that being said, DJ did in the 1st half did what a 40M QB is supposed to do. Can't argue with the numbers. 178 yds passing, 2 TDS, 140.8 QB rating. That's what we wanna see from him or any QB for that matter. But the second half.. he became what were accustomed to seeing with him. As much as I wanna jump up and down and celebrate. This game was a nail biter with us hanging on for the win. 

The offense.. Malik Nabers.. I'm already running out of words for this kid. He is a human highlight reel of a player. The body control and his separation ability is unlike anything we've seen in a VERY long time. He makes dbs look stupid in coverage. This kid IMO has to be (at this point) ROY w/out question. Wan'dale put some critical catches in there. Looked very twitchy after the catch.  Motor had a decent game but he has to hang onto the ball better. Eric Gray?... Meet the bench. Dude is just an accident waiting to happen on the field. Tyrone Tracy i think will be getting alot more involved now sooner than later. Oline did a solid job. Overall, not a bad day from these guys. 

DJ.. Ok. Good game.  Good 1st half. Second half.. not so much. The leash is short gentlemen. He needs to finish a team off or he's done. We got the Cowboys thursday night and we all know what they did to us last year in game 1. You don't finish them if you have them down?.. your asking for a loss. We need to give them some payback. Jones has to show he can hang with that group. 

The defense in this one played its best overall game. 8 sacks is impressive. Dex just bowled over their olinemen and was relentless all game long. 2 sacks from an interior lineman is just insane. Spiderman's big play to cause that fumble from Watson was key in the remaining minute of the 1st half. And i gotta say.. Micah McFadden was balling out. I was almost ready to call him Micah McParsons the way he looked early on. Was an impressive game by him all around. 

The coaching staff got this one right. But Daboll and Co. have a long way to go at this moment in time to stay off the hot seat. I will give credit where credit is due and this was easily their best game so far in this young season. Im hoping we can carry some mojo from this one against Dallas this week. 

Daboll / Schoen hot seat watch meter ---- 78/100 (Lightish red..above hot.. a cool hot but hot)

• Like 2

If your expectation of Jones is greatness then yeah, he didn't have a very good game. But save for the INT called back for roughing and that would be INT that Nabers broke up, he looked very comfortable again, which is encouraging. The deep ball misses are annoying. He still hasn't figured it out and they all do not have enough air under them for the WR to adjust. But you see why it's worth taking shots. The risk of INT isn't all that high. Connecting on those would be huge. 

Overall he had a good game. Doesn't mean I'm confident moving forward but I don't expect him to be much better than he was today at this point.

According to Charlotte Carroll from The Athletic, Nabers orchestrated that first touchdown catch. He saw Martin Emerson had tendencies to jump routes on tape and brought up a play to Dabs that he thought they could use to take advantage of that. Dabs watched and agreed, the practiced it a bit, and that led to that acrobatic TD catch he had on Sunday.

Kind of insane that that came from a rookie 21 year old wide receiver. Nabers is actually currently the 5th youngest player in the entire NFL.