How The Lions Respond To The Loss of Aidan Hutchnson

Just Want A Title

10 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Za'Darius Smith was traded to Clevelenad with a 6th and 7th for two 5ths.  Assuming he is cheaper than that now that he is older, I would say two 6ths for two 7ths should be the cost.  I would do that in a heartbeat.  Ojulari is an expiring that has never been a great player.  he has got some sacks but he is really just James Houston IMO.  I think adding him would be fine but he is an undersized edge/OLB type more than a true DE.  Pasrt of Hutch's value is playing the run and pushing HB's into the other defenders and Ojulari is not a run defender at all. 

Smiths washed.

4 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2024/10/15/24270668/detroit-lions-planning-to-sign-de-off-bengals-practice-squad

I expect this won't be their only move but this is exactly what I was talking about. Unknown guy with high RAS score

Lions already had one open roster spot on the team. Once they put Hutch and Peko on IR, that opens two more roster spots. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2024/10/15/24270668/detroit-lions-planning-to-sign-de-off-bengals-practice-squad

I expect this won't be their only move but this is exactly what I was talking about. Unknown guy with high RAS score

He fits the profile of what they want in a DE/EDGE.  This might be a shrewd move because the Bengals have a bit of a logjam at DE.  Hopefully, Terrell Williams can turn him into a decent role player.

1 hour ago, Miblue said:

Smiths washed.

The Smith with three sacks this year, and 6 last year and had an 83 PFF grade, 60 pressures, and 18 stops last year?  He is older, but still producing much better than anyone on our D Line. 

For comparison, Josh Paschal has 3 career sacks and 34 pressures in three years with zero sacks and 6 pressures this year.  

The rest of our DE group has 96 snaps this year with 1 sack and 5 pressures.  

• Like 1

If the Lions were to make a trade for Myles Garrett (one of the names being tossed out right now), his current cap hit to us would be $1.2M (on a $20M cap hit). The Browns are in SO much trouble cap wise. If the Lions were to take on more of the financial burden we could probably reduce the compensation required. 

Cleveland currently has $46M in cap space in 2024 (awesome) but is - $10M right now in 2025 with a Garrett trade. Cutting Bill Cosby would just be mind numbingly crippling. 

Between age (29), contract (Lions take on some of his cap hit) and situation (future Browns rebuild) I feel like he could be had for something like a 3rd, 5th and a piece. James Houston doesn't hold a ton of value but could be used as something and gives him a chance in scenery as well. 

• Like 2

Garrett or Crosby are the two that fit the most, Both have that edge-setting size we covet, and both are all go no stop full-tilt studs, Both are young enough not just to help us this year but also set us up for the next few with a massively powerful DLine.  The thought of Garrett and Hutch coming off the line with their get-off and pressure rate is mind-boggling, McNeil in the middle with Reader, and this Dline becomes number one in the league by far

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Underwhelming but a body is a body. If games were won by RAS scores I guess 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MrLionzz said:

Garrett or Crosby are the two that fit the most, Both have that edge-setting size we covet, and both are all go no stop full-tilt studs, Both are young enough not just to help us this year but also set us up for the next few with a massively powerful DLine.  The thought of Garrett and Hutch coming off the line with their get-off and pressure rate is mind-boggling, McNeil in the middle with Reader, and this Dline becomes number one in the league by far

Unfortunately if we do get Crosby or Garrett, I don't think we would ever see them with Hutch and Alim.  Alim would likely be gone given the funds for that would be spent on the DE instead.  Although Garrett has a team friendly deal if he is moved but likely would need a new contract with the trade.  But I agree the thought of that easily makes it worth giving up some picks to have that D line next year.  

13 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

Underwhelming but a body is a body. If games were won by RAS scores I guess 

Seems like a solid pull for a free agent signing/PS guy at this point in the year.  You can't expect much more than an upside play or an aging vet at this point and I prefer the upside.  Not to say we won't make a move but obviously we aren't rushing to conclusions and are seeing what we can find and what we can do internally to adjust.  I wouldn't be totally shocked to see some 3-4 type fronts especially if Broderic Martin returns.  Or More so 3-3 given we would be in a nickel look most times anyways.  A front of Alim, Reader, and Levi with barnes, Campbell, and Anzalone out there with one of the LBs blitzing seems like the best immediate response IMO. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Seems like a solid pull for a free agent signing/PS guy at this point in the year.  You can't expect much more than an upside play or an aging vet at this point and I prefer the upside.  Not to say we won't make a move but obviously we aren't rushing to conclusions and are seeing what we can find and what we can do internally to adjust.  I wouldn't be totally shocked to see some 3-4 type fronts especially if Broderic Martin returns.  Or More so 3-3 given we would be in a nickel look most times anyways.  A front of Alim, Reader, and Levi with barnes, Campbell, and Anzalone out there with one of the LBs blitzing seems like the best immediate response IMO. 

Do we know when Barnes is expected back from IR? 

46 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Do we know when Barnes is expected back from IR? 

My bad, totally spaced on him also being on IR and likely done for the year.  Nowaske played solid in his place this past week and got a sack.  So he could be in that similar role.  Rodrigo is a little smaller and less of a blitzer but still can get some reps there as did JRM.  Either way that DL and three of our LBs or even two of them with a dime package is better than running most of these other DEs out there at this time.  Levi sort of can play DE anyways so I can see him moving there more for now even if we stick in a 4-3 front.  

• Like 2