How The Lions Respond To The Loss of Aidan Hutchnson

Just Want A Title

10 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Apparently, the jets would have to give up a second round pick in 2026 if Hassan Reddick is traded to an NFC team.  Smart trade terms by the Eagles.

If Jets trade Haason Reddick to NFC team, they owe the Eagles a second-round pick (msn.com)

6 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Apparently, the jets would have to give up a second round pick in 2026 if Hassan Reddick is traded to an NFC team.  Smart trade terms by the Eagles.

If Jets trade Haason Reddick to NFC team, they owe the Eagles a second-round pick (msn.com)

If they're going to trade him, they'll have to accept a penny on the dollar. I don't think Detroit is necessarily desperate.

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

My bad, totally spaced on him also being on IR and likely done for the year.  Nowaske played solid in his place this past week and got a sack.  So he could be in that similar role.  Rodrigo is a little smaller and less of a blitzer but still can get some reps there as did JRM.  Either way that DL and three of our LBs or even two of them with a dime package is better than running most of these other DEs out there at this time.  Levi sort of can play DE anyways so I can see him moving there more for now even if we stick in a 4-3 front.  

I honestly haven’t heard anything about Barnes table of return. Cominsky, Davenport and Hutch seem done for the year. Heard iffy could be back soon. But I haven’t heard an update on Barnes. 

42 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Yea I don't see the trade working out for Reddick.

I'm also not sure if he's still good since he's had no training camp.

I also don't think he is a fit for our Defense.  He is an OLB that rushers the passer.  He isn't the kind of defender that will set the edge and dominate in the run game. Plus he has not had the camp or know the system.  If they want to trade him, it will have to be super cheap but again, there is little reason to do that if it bumps the pick up to a 2nd.  

George Kittle: "The crazy thing is, football's a lot different in December than it is in October. It's a long season, so if they can stay playing at that level for the rest of the season, goodness gracious. Watch out, everybody. We've experienced it before, too. You could be playing at a really high level and then you just lose a key player out of nowhere. Aidan Hutchinson, how horrible. Devastating. And he was leading the league in sacks, playing at a great level. When you lose a guy like that, you know, that happens."

"But you're not just losing him on the field. I'm pretty sure he's a team captain. He's in the locker room every single day. He's in the defensive line room every single day. You're losing his presence in the whole locker room. He'll be back in the building, it's just different. So when you have an injury like that, it's tough. They're going to be an amazing team, they still have a ton of their key players, all their stars. They still have it. But when you lose a key component like that, it's just different."

"I think Detroit's good enough and they have enough players to balance it out, but we'll just see how that happens."

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/deebo-samuel-george-kittle-lions-nfc

13 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

George Kittle: "The crazy thing is, football's a lot different in December than it is in October. It's a long season, so if they can stay playing at that level for the rest of the season, goodness gracious. Watch out, everybody. We've experienced it before, too. You could be playing at a really high level and then you just lose a key player out of nowhere. Aidan Hutchinson, how horrible. Devastating. And he was leading the league in sacks, playing at a great level. When you lose a guy like that, you know, that happens."

"But you're not just losing him on the field. I'm pretty sure he's a team captain. He's in the locker room every single day. He's in the defensive line room every single day. You're losing his presence in the whole locker room. He'll be back in the building, it's just different. So when you have an injury like that, it's tough. They're going to be an amazing team, they still have a ton of their key players, all their stars. They still have it. But when you lose a key component like that, it's just different."

"I think Detroit's good enough and they have enough players to balance it out, but we'll just see how that happens."

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/deebo-samuel-george-kittle-lions-nfc

The thing about the MCDC and the Lions is that he is always been focused on getting the Lions to play the best football late in the year.  You saw it when they surged late in 2022.  You saw it last year.  We have seen enough already this year to know that they are setting this team up to be playing good football late in the year.

• Like 2

Apparently Maxx Crosby was questioned about the Davante trade and he said something to the effect of "I want to win wherever I am. I'm not here for a rebuild". The Raiders are unlikely to make another huge trade right away. However, it's not out of the question that Crosby does demand a trade with the Lions being an obvious trade partner. 

According to OTC, if we were to acquire Crosby right now we would still have $4M in cap room and $53M in cap room next year. This is with guys like Saint and Alim already re-signed. 

It would impact our ability to bring back guys like Barnes and Iffy. We'd also be losing key picks to replace those guys

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Apparently Maxx Crosby was questioned about the Davante trade and he said something to the effect of "I want to win wherever I am. I'm not here for a rebuild". The Raiders are unlikely to make another huge trade right away. However, it's not out of the question that Crosby does demand a trade with the Lions being an obvious trade partner. 

According to OTC, if we were to acquire Crosby right now we would still have $4M in cap room and $53M in cap room next year. This is with guys like Saint and Alim already re-signed. 

It would impact our ability to bring back guys like Barnes and Iffy. We'd also be losing key picks to replace those guys

Most of those extensions have smaller numbers next year still and really kick in in 2026.  For instance, in 2025, Goff has a $32.6M hit, ARSB is $13.9M, and Sewell is 9.5M.  In 2026, Goff has a cap hit of $69.9M, ARSB is $33.1, and Sewell is $28M.  In 2027 Goff's comes back down to $54.6 and ARSB $29M but Sewell goes up to $32M.  2026 will either be Hutch's 5th year option or the first year if an extension.  Similarly with Gibbs and Campbell, they will be in their 5th year option or extension year in 2027.  Per Sportrac, however, we have plenty of space still both years but that doesn't include McNeil's extension yet nor does it include anything in 2026 for Hutch.  

Also, If we acquire Crosby now, there is a proration of his contract that we would pay.  According to the Sporting News, we would take on $16.8M this year for the remainder of the year and the future years carry relatively low hits of $23.1 and $19.7 for 2025 and 2026 that are not guaranteed.  Since he got the signing bonus money from the Raiders already, that accelerates on them when they move him so we are free of that and reduces future year hits for us.  That cap hit is insanely good for a player of Maxx's ability at least for next year and can deal with 2026 when we get there either by extending him or trading him then.  

To be honest, I don't see a downside to this if the Raiders make him available for anything less than 3 first round picks. 

• Like 1

I’m all for building through the draft, and we have. We also have our core locked up until ‘27/‘28. This is the perfect time to go “all in” while our window is open and there is an obvious need. I’m not worried about the picks. Brad Holmes never keeps original picks. He’ll go get the players he wants. This is the move that could take the team to the promised land. 

• Like 2