Lions extend Alim McNeill to 4 yr extension

Louis Friend

Like anything else, the details in the numbers matter.  That being said, it is good to see him get rewarded for his hard work.  He has definitely out-performed his draft status.  In an age where GMs throw around big money in free agency it is pretty cool to see Brad Holmes and the Lions succeed mostly through the draft.  He does a lot of dirty work on the inside for the Lions.  This should eliminate any distractions for what is expected to be a deep playoff run.

Edited by Just Want A Title
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, detfan782004 said:

Detroit has Monopoly money it seems 

not sure about this one 

Had to be done, 24 years old and elevated his play last season into top 10 DT in the NFL. 

The problem is it's only a matter of time until the team is forced to make some tough decisions on who to sign and who to let go...Holmes has drafted so well it will be very hard to keep everyone around.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Had to be done, 24 years old and elevated his play last season into top 10 DT in the NFL. 

The problem is it's only a matter of time until the team is forced to make some tough decisions on who to sign and who to let go...Holmes has drafted so well it will be very hard to keep everyone around.

Eh I don't agree it has to be done. Pass rush more critical. It's nice to retain talent though. Just not sure I'm a huge fan of it 

18 hours ago, Superduperman said:

From the 2021 class, they have signed three to extensions and three more still have very good chances to be core members of the defense, though two are hurt right now. That was an all-timer draft.

Given in the 2020 draft, we had zero players get a second contract from us and the ones who got them elsewhere are struggling other than Swift. 2019 we re-signed Will Harris more so out of desperation than quality play and in 2018 we kept Ragnow and Tracy Walker.  2017 we had zero we kept although we did bring JRM back after a stint in Houston but as a special teams ace and backup LB.  So to have three guys we re-signed from one class and the other 3 still on the roster will either be re-signed for cheaper deals or signed to bigger deals elsewhere, that was an all time class.  Its still crazy to me that out of 4 draft classes, there are only 2 guys that are not on our roster.  Holmes has been amazing, even if the picks aren't turning out elite, they are productive which is more than we got most years.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

Eh I don't agree it has to be done. Pass rush more critical. It's nice to retain talent though. Just not sure I'm a huge fan of it 

Pass rush is critical but our run D was one of the best in the league last year and a big reason for that was Alim.  This year his pass rush grade is the highest it has been so if he kept that up, he would cost us significantly more in the offseason.  

This deal puts him as the 4th highest paid DT, which is solid to get a top free agent signed for less than the top (or second best given Chris Jones is way ahead) is currently signed for.  Its 3M a year less than what Wilkins got last year and I would much rather have McNeil than Wilkins.  Not to mention McNeil is 24 while the next youngest DT in the top 20 paid DTs is Christian Barmore at 25 and then Derrick Brown at 26.  The rest are all 27 or older.  So getting someone this young with more potential as shown this year for the price we did, I think is a very good deal.  

As for structure, I am hoping they give more of it up front this year and next to reduce the cap hit in future years.  I hope they dont do what many other teams are doing with multiple void years which will screw us over down the stretch.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Pass rush is critical but our run D was one of the best in the league last year and a big reason for that was Alim.  This year his pass rush grade is the highest it has been so if he kept that up, he would cost us significantly more in the offseason.  

This deal puts him as the 4th highest paid DT, which is solid to get a top free agent signed for less than the top (or second best given Chris Jones is way ahead) is currently signed for.  Its 3M a year less than what Wilkins got last year and I would much rather have McNeil than Wilkins.  Not to mention McNeil is 24 while the next youngest DT in the top 20 paid DTs is Christian Barmore at 25 and then Derrick Brown at 26.  The rest are all 27 or older.  So getting someone this young with more potential as shown this year for the price we did, I think is a very good deal.  

As for structure, I am hoping they give more of it up front this year and next to reduce the cap hit in future years.  I hope they dont do what many other teams are doing with multiple void years which will screw us over down the stretch.  

One thing about Brad Holmes is that he has taken some very young players.  I don't think that was an accident.  Penei Sewell was 20 when he was drafted.  Hutch was 21.  Alim McNeill was 21.  Kerby Joseph is 23 and in his third season.  Brian Branch is 22 and in his second season.  This gives his core players a long growth runway.

Update:  Terrion Arnold is 21 years old also.

Edited by Just Want A Title
  • Like 2