2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

3 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

Does anyone think its possible Saiqon Barkley falls to the jets at #6? 

he's going to be special. #1 player on my board. Obj level talent/comittment but without the crazy. Elliot went #4, but someone's  gotta fall to six

1. Barkley

2. Rosen

3. Nelson

4. Fitzpatrick

5. Mayfield

6. Darnell

id be happy with whoever fell. 

If we address QB, C and OG I 100% want him to be our pick. Honestly the only team I see drafting him ahead of us in Cleveland at 4. I even think I want him even if we don’t address OG. I like Barkley more than Nelson. mainly bc he’s a difference maker and we have 0 of those.

24 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

If we address QB, C and OG I 100% want him to be our pick. Honestly the only team I see drafting him ahead of us in Cleveland at 4. I even think I want him even if we don’t address OG. I like Barkley more than Nelson. mainly bc he’s a difference maker and we have 0 of those.

i think Cleveland trades out of 4 or takes Nelson/Fitzpatrick there. Theyll take their choice of QB #1 tho.

Giants could take Barkley. They have an older Eli and may opt for that kinda talent and go for 1 more SB with him and a beast at RB. That D is 1 yr removed from being tops in the league.

53 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I would be happy also. there is a good chance one of those players could drop to us. The only difference is I would drop Nelson a spot or two on your list only because of what those people at ND told me, they said he is a good player but not the player you think he is. You report on all those Jets draft picks was excellent and very interesting. After I read it I wonder how the Steelers have been such a competitive team for so many years. Since 2000 the Steelers have had only one losing season and that was in 2003 when Tommy Maddox was their QB. What has really killed us is the inability of our second round draft to make the playing field for one reason or another except for Maye. With our two second round pick this year lets hope that changes.

10 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

100%.  Look at the Saints last year.  Lattimore, Ramczyk, Williams, Kamara.  I would kill for the 4 of them.  

This was an amazing draft but I'm not sure this is a consistent trend with the Saints. They've been pretty bad at drafting in recent years, they just struck gold this year.

10 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Fact is Macc hasn't drafted well. You're defending him on why he made the picks. But the facts are the facts of them being bad picks and it shows on the field. Hitting on 2/3 1st Rounders and a few mid Round picks isn't successful. We literally have like 5 contributing players on the roster from him in 3 drafts. And the worst part is that it's only 1 guy on offense (Shell who isn't penciled in as a starter) bc Robby was an UDFA and looks to be going down a troubled path. I just gave you several players that would have helped this team, yet you excused every single one.

Look around the league though, we fall in line with the status quo when it comes to drafting success. The real stingers are Hack and Smith because those 2 picks should be contributors on this team. 

Success based on round selected

Look at the percentages after the 1st two rounds, it drops dramatically to the point where more NFL starters were UDFAs compared to players who were 3rd round picks. If you land anything more than a role player between rounds 3-7 you are doing very well/lucky.

47 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

Look around the league though, we fall in line with the status quo when it comes to drafting success. The real stingers are Hack and Smith because those 2 picks should be contributors on this team. 

Look at the percentages after the 1st two rounds, it drops dramatically to the point where more NFL starters were UDFAs compared to players who were 3rd round picks. If you land anything more than a role player between rounds 3-7 you are doing very well/lucky.

That’s a general stat. It’s comparing teams drafting 30 picks apart at times on the same level as just a Round pick. But fact is the jets drafting at 6, 37, 70 should have way more success than say NE drafting 32, 64, 96.

2 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

This was an amazing draft but I'm not sure this is a consistent trend with the Saints. They've been pretty bad at drafting in recent years, they just struck gold this year.

They've hit on 7 guys with pro bowl potential over the past 3 years and some who can still hit (Vonn Bell for example).  A lot better than our 3. 

56 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

That’s a general stat. It’s comparing teams drafting 30 picks apart at times on the same level as just a Round pick. But fact is the jets drafting at 6, 37, 70 should have way more success than say NE drafting 32, 64, 96.

No team can beat the draft

paine-nfldraftefficientmarket-4.png?w=11

The blue line represents the "Draft Pick Value Chart" while the red line represents the actual difference in success based on pick across 20 years. In short there is not THAT big of a difference between selections outside of round 1.

Just now, barnaby8787 said:

Brees has nothing to do with drafting two great tackles, a great DT, a great safety, a stud WR,  a pro bowl RB, and a pro bowl CB

Yes a QB will certainly help the OL, WR, and RB - let alone an all time great QB. Do you think those players are as good with McCown or Fitz? Probably not. 

Trust me I'm not knocking that team at all, they are my NFC team, but to say Brees has nothing to do with the production of offensive players is silly. There is a reason why QBs get paid so much while other positions are paid half that. I won't argue defense so much but I think our defense looks much worse because of how often they are on the field, a QB drastically changes the approach you can take on defense. 

I'm a fan of their drafting I'm just saying 14 picks in the top 3 rounds should translate to good players while also having the added benefit of having an all time great QB.

3 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

Yes a QB will certainly help the OL, WR, and RB - let alone an all time great QB. Do you think those players are as good with McCown or Fitz? Probably not. 

Trust me I'm not knocking that team at all, they are my NFC team, but to say Brees has nothing to do with the production of offensive players is silly. There is a reason why QBs get paid so much while other positions are paid half that. I won't argue defense so much but I think our defense looks much worse because of how often they are on the field, a QB drastically changes the approach you can take on defense. 

I'm a fan of their drafting I'm just saying 14 picks in the top 3 rounds should translate to good players while also having the added benefit of having an all time great QB.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying in terms of Brees.  In terms of 14 picks in the first 3 rounds, they hit on at least half.  The Jets had 9 and hit on 3. 

Just now, barnaby8787 said:

Oh sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying in terms of Brees.  In terms of 14 picks in the first 3 rounds, they hit on at least half.  The Jets had 9 and hit on 3. 

Again I think this has more to do with having a QB in place, we spent a 2nd rounder trying to fill that hole. The Saints took Grayson in the 3rd but they also had 5 picks in the top 3 rounds that year with the 5th selection coming 3 picks after Grayson. They were equipped to draft a QB to groom where we took one on the chin to find a starter.

I really think our drafts will look better if we have a QB + money like the Saints, we'll get a good read on our team this season since the biggest question mark should be answered.

1 hour ago, rdelaney89 said:

No team can beat the draft

paine-nfldraftefficientmarket-4.png?w=11

The blue line represents the "Draft Pick Value Chart" while the red line represents the actual difference in success based on pick across 20 years. In short there is not THAT big of a difference between selections outside of round 1.

I don't get the numbers in the chart.  Here are the average AV of the Jets last 3 draft picks: Williams (9), Lee (6), and Adams (7). So, is the chart suggestion that these players should be in the 30-40? Marshon Lattimore had a great season and his AV was 8 last year. 

Trying to make sense of the chart. Seems interesting and defends the Browns draft strategy.

Edit: It must not be an average but a sum of the AV for the first 5 years. I was reading up on the methodology and they used Marshall Faulk as an example. Marshall Faulk's AV totaled 68 in his first 5 years. 

24 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I don't get the numbers in the chart.  Here are the average AV of the Jets last 3 draft picks: Williams (9), Lee (6), and Adams (7). So, is the chart suggestion that these players should be in the 30-40? Marshon Lattimore had a great season and his AV was 8 last year. 

Trying to make sense of the chart. Seems interesting and defends the Browns draft strategy.

Edit: It must not be an average but a sum of the AV for the first 5 years. I was reading up on the methodology and they used Marshall Faulk as an example. Marshall Faulk's AV totaled 68 in his first 5 years. 

It was more-so meant to show that outside the first round there isn't much difference between how picks turn out.

Bobby didn't agree with this post:

4 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

Boddy said "That’s a general stat. It’s comparing teams drafting 30 picks apart at times on the same level as just a Round pick. But fact is the jets drafting at 6, 37, 70 should have way more success than say NE drafting 32, 64, 96."

I posted the graph because it shows that while there is a difference between an earlier pick vs a later pick their is little difference in the caliber of player; #37 vs #64 or #70 vs #96 does not really matter in the long run.

Archived