The Official Boxing Thread IV - Golovkin vs Alvarez

J-ALL-DAY

11 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

was Stiverne a deserving opponent?

that was ridiculous 

Deserving no? Only got the fight because his fight with Povetkin fell through due to the latter failing another drug test. Povetkin failed a drug test when he was supposed to fight Wilder in May 2015 as well.

So as for Wilder still doesn't know how to box? He's certainly reckless and always will be reckless when he has his opponent hurt, but his jab was razor sharp and the 1-2 that initially dropped Stiverne was textbook.

Joshua is the better boxer, but Wilder's athleticism advantage along with his power makes him live in that fight.

On 05/11/2017 at 6:47 PM, J-ALL-DAY said:

Deserving no? Only got the fight because his fight with Povetkin fell through due to the latter failing another drug test. Povetkin failed a drug test when he was supposed to fight Wilder in May 2015 as well.

So as for Wilder still doesn't know how to box? He's certainly reckless and always will be reckless when he has his opponent hurt, but his jab was razor sharp and the 1-2 that initially dropped Stiverne was textbook.

Joshua is the better boxer, but Wilder's athleticism advantage along with his power makes him live in that fight.

Do you think Wilder v Joshua happens next? I really don’t know whether Hearn will want to risk missing out on a Joshua v Fury PPV where both guys go in undefeated. It would literally be the biggest British boxing event ever.

That said, the longer Joshua goes undefeated, the bigger the fight against Fury becomes. So many possibilities.

Its funny to think how bad the heavyweight division was 10 years ago compared to now.

I don't think it happens next unfortunately. It should but it won't. 

As for Fury, he needs to first get his license back and get in shape. Sad to see the state he is in.

Here's an interview of him two days ago:

No way would he be ready for the top guns next year. Best bet is he gets a few tune up fights and gets back in the mix in 2019.

I just want Wilder/Joshua to happen before the latter goes to HBO. That's going to completely kill the fight. It needs to happen now. And if Hearn wants to build it up to being a PPV fight in the states, then how is that ever going to happen without Joshua ever fighting in the States? And if he wants the fight in Wembley in front of 90k, then that's fine, but obviously it won't be PPV here. 

On 05/11/2017 at 6:47 PM, J-ALL-DAY said:

Joshua fended off perhaps the greatest jab we've ever seen in HW boxing. 

If Wilder reverts to type and comes out with his hands down, windmilling, AJ will put him to sleep. 

Possibly, but we have seen Joshua dropped and hurt while also being put to sleep on numerous occasions in sparring. Wilder himself has been rocked on multiple occasions. Both guys are heavy punches capable of putting the lights out of each other. Wilder being that big of a puncher with his athleticism makes him dangerous even though Joshua is the more skilled boxer... As for beating Wlad? That was a great fight, but against a 41 year old that had been out for about year in a half. His stamina still isn't great and he's just not exactly all that fast. I'd make Joshua the favorite, but so many folks are acting like it is a sure thing he wins in a couple of rounds. 

If Joshua slims down (he was too big for the last fight) he can easily fend off Wilder's lunges. 

You write off Wlad quite easily, but at the same time seem eager not to knock Wilder. Dude has fought absolutely nobody, I mean can you name a single impressive opponent? 

Then if you look at Wilder and Joshua against Eric Molina, Joshua obliterated him in 3, whereas it took Wilder 9.

It will be Charles Martin all over again.

Hey if it's Charles Martin all over again, then great!!!! That would be one hell of a statement and would make Joshua even a bigger star. 

I'm not writing Wlad off at all. I just stated facts. Was he not 41 years old, coming off about an 18 month lay off, off a fight he lost almost every round to Fury? Those are facts... But he showed he still had plenty left in the tank and gave Joshua a great fight.. A fight that is going to help Joshua in the future. 

I don't know how many times I have to say it. Joshua IS the more skilled and better fighter. However, he's also very hittable and is fighting a guy who has GREAT power and is more athletic than him. If you want to write Wilder off as easily as you are, then be my guest. But the HW division more so than any other division will reward a less skilled heavy puncher. 

I have the fight about 60/40 Joshua now. 

I just don't see anything in Wilder's record, tape or arsenal that makes him a worthy champ. 

A 41 year old Wlad would have schooled Wilder. The Wlad that faced AJ this summer was probably the best he's been for sometime, Fury knocking him off his perch made a big difference.

Fury would school AJ technically right now (aside from weight and mental health issues), Joshua would have to rely on his fierce power.

Wilder is only being hyped because he's American and has a lot of fights under his belt. He's no better than Parker who is being laughed at as a HW champ. 

Only because he's American? L-O-L.....And if he's such easy pickings for Joshua, then Hearn jump all over this. It will give Joshua a great pay day and he won't have to break a sweat. Don't see any reason not to make it next if that is the case.

Wilder would beat Parker. 

The HWs that beat him or give him hell or are a pick-em with him are Ortiz/Povetkin/Joshua/Fury. And the first two he signed to fight but they failed their drug tests. I think Hughie would also be tough for Wilder, but he just doesn't throw enough to get the nod in any of these big fights.

Wlad looked better vs Pulev. Actually much better. That was a straight destruction. But he looked good vs Joshua. Looked very spry and was out boxing Joshua quite easily from the 6th to 9th round. He was making Joshua look very slow and just picking him off....until Joshua got his second wind and just ran through the old man in the 10th. That same Wlad would lose another one sided decision to Fury.

Hearn for some reason is hell bent on Wilder fighting Whyte for some reason. But he won't guarantee Joshua next...Which makes no sense at all. So why exactly would Wilder go to the UK to fight Whyte without getting a guarantee to fight Joshua next?

28 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Hearn for some reason is hell bent on Wilder fighting Whyte for some reason. But he won't guarantee Joshua next...Which makes no sense at all. So why exactly would Wilder go to the UK to fight Whyte without getting a guarantee to fight Joshua next?

I don't disagree Hearn is being exceptionally cautious, particularly given he threw AJ into the ring with an experienced pro like Wlad in only his 18th fight. 

I can only think he wants to build more hype, which is a bit silly because AJ is a superstar in the UK, so another stadium fight would be meaningless in that regard. If he can take Parker's belt then it makes sense, as the fight with Wilder will be huge. 

I think Wilder should fight someone like Whyte, or at least someone half decent, I actually think it would be better for him leading into a fight with AJ. If he goes into the ring with AJ with that stance he won't see the 5th. 

I also think Wilder would take Parker too, but Parker wants his payday against AJ.

In terms of his reputation, you can't disagree it's built on nothing but his mouth. He's steamrolling terrible boxers, in the UK you didn't see 100% investment into AJ until he beat Wlad. And yes Wlad controlled the fight from the 6th to the 9th, but a huge part of that was AJs inexperience, he thought he had him beat, he'd never faced someone who got back up. Wilder hasn't experienced anything like that yet, he hasnt been faced a boxer of Whytes calibre, as average at that may be. 

Dude, Joshua got 10000000000000000000000X more promotion and hype than Wilder ever has....BEFORE the Wlad fight. Joshua has been groomed to being a star since his debut. He was being put on UC of PPV fights from the beginning and started headlining his own cards against bums. With Wilder it has been a slow process and he's not 1/100th of the star Joshua is. 

And what caliber of a fighter is Whyte exactly? I would without a doubt pick Stiverne from 2015 to beat Whyte quite easily. This is a guy that went life and death with a OLD Chisora who isn't close to his best. That same Chisora lost 9 or 10 rounds to Pulev a fight prior. Lewison got beat easily by Joyce in his debut than Whyte did. And don't get me started of the putrid performance vs Helenius. Whyte is living off the one big punch he landed against Joshua in the 2nd round. 

Is it Wilder's fault that Ortiz/Povetkin failed their drug tests? Those guys are as dangerous high risk/low reward fighters you could fight at the HW division and he signed up to fight both of them, the former in Russia of all places....I shouldn't say low reward for Povetkin as Wilder was set to make like $5 million, but you get my point. 

No doubt that Wlad fight helped Joshua tremendously, I mentioned that earlier. That was a truth teller type of fight and Joshua passed the test. He found out he has the ability to dig deep and overcome adversity. 

I think there is a lot of pressure on Joshua's side with Wilder calling him out the way he is. Joshua isn't no punk and will want to get in there with Wilder soon. May not be next, but no reason why it can't happen next Summer. 

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think there is a lot of pressure on Joshua's side with Wilder calling him out the way he is. Joshua isn't no punk and will want to get in there with Wilder soon. May not be next, but no reason why it can't happen next Summer.

I think an early 2018 fight for both vs good opponents (Parker for AJ & any top 10 fighter for Wilder) would set up a good summer fight between the two. 

Hearn has certainly groomed AJ, but he now has the statement victory. Wilder doesn't. Heck even Haye beats Bellew, I wouldn't mind him taking on Wilder. 

13 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Is it Wilder's fault that Ortiz/Povetkin failed their drug tests? Those guys are as dangerous high risk/low reward fighters you could fight at the HW division and he signed up to fight both of them, the former in Russia of all places..

Not at all. And the regular failed tests is seriously concerning. But it doesn't change the fact he hasn't faced these dudes or anybody else of note. 

If Haye is healthy then maybe. But what is the probability of that? 

Joseph Parker's camp just turned down a fight with Wilder saying not enough money. Interesting. There are rumors he fights Lucas Browne next but if Joshua can't get him, he may get Big Baby Miller. And that could be his stateside debut. Joshua's fight vs Takam didn't do good numbers on SHO so Hearn may want to get him a fight here to build more hype for the Wilder show down. Put Wilder vs Breazeale or someone a week before or after. 

If Haye is healthy then maybe. But what is the probability of that? 

Joseph Parker's camp just turned down a fight with Wilder saying not enough money. Interesting. There are rumors he fights Lucas Browne next but if Joshua can't get him, he may get Big Baby Miller. And that could be his stateside debut. Joshua's fight vs Takam didn't do good numbers on SHO so Hearn may want to get him a fight here to build more hype for the Wilder show down. Put Wilder vs Breazeale or someone a week before or after.