The Truth about Sashi Brown

Mind Character

So I agree there is fault all around.

We have the youngest most inexperienced locker room in the league that is on Sashi.

We have a rookie QB with no real veteran presence or a stop gap player, that is also on Sashi.

Kenny Britt did flop, I wanted him as well as Pryor, but I understood not resigning Pryor for a long term deal because look at how hes playing in Washington, we would be in the same predciment, not every GM hits on every move but yes, that was on Sashi.

However, from the post earlier, I have heard a lot from national people who know football better than I do that Hue hasn't worked with the talent he has, but tried to throw everyone into his system, like forcing a rookie QB to make very difficult reads and not dumb down the offense for him in the slightest, that's on Hue.

Not running the ball because we are ahead against GB, or giving up on the run with a rookie QB in the snow in chicago when we were down by 3, absolutely on Hue.

Calling challenges on a 3 yard pass on 2ND DOWN AND 1?!?!?!, calling time-outs to give the opposing team a chance to score!!  Letting Audibles be a possibility with time running down and no times outs at the goal line? Pulling and sitting his starting QB because he loses confidence in him every other week?  Throwing his team under the bus constantly saying there's not enough talent on the team, and they have to play perfect to win, and 5 guys could have run through the hole Crowell wants credit for?!?!?  Wanting to stay with offensive play calling so much he ignores head coaching responsibilities like making sure the other teams radios are turned off when  ours aren't working? Hell even when you look back to Oakland's last game that lost them playoff hopes Hue blames the want to win of his team, and not his play calling.   It is all of this that makes Hue a bad coach, a terrible coach.

You can complain about weapons and all that all day long, but you give Hue Jackson Duke Johnson, and he gets taken out of games and not used enough.  You Give Hue Jackson Josh Gordon, and out team plays worse than it did before we got him (Greenbay and Chciago were terrible).  I understand other players get hurt but you want to see a team improve as the year goes on and I can't help but think we are just getting worse and worse.

You can say what you want about Sashi and this roster, no one could have made the playoffs with this roster, I was hoping at the beginning of the season for 5-6 wins, but it was never going to be a fast build, and freaking out on Sashi after year 2 of a long re-build is hilarious to me.  We have an owner, and a front office, who has no patience and that is going to screw us for years.  We might make a big step this year, but if we are going to freak out and spend all the money we can and trade up for players giving away draft assets we have a good chance of getting to 8-8 and just sitting there like so many teams who want to be good now do...

10 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

So I agree there is fault all around.

We have the youngest most inexperienced locker room in the league that is on Sashi.

We have a rookie QB with no real veteran presence or a stop gap player, that is also on Sashi.

Kenny Britt did flop, I wanted him as well as Pryor, but I understood not resigning Pryor for a long term deal because look at how hes playing in Washington, we would be in the same predciment, not every GM hits on every move but yes, that was on Sashi.

However, from the post earlier, I have heard a lot from national people who know football better than I do that Hue hasn't worked with the talent he has, but tried to throw everyone into his system, like forcing a rookie QB to make very difficult reads and not dumb down the offense for him in the slightest, that's on Hue.

Not running the ball because we are ahead against GB, or giving up on the run with a rookie QB in the snow in chicago when we were down by 3, absolutely on Hue.

Calling challenges on a 3 yard pass on 2ND DOWN AND 1?!?!?!, calling time-outs to give the opposing team a chance to score!!  Letting Audibles be a possibility with time running down and no times outs at the goal line? Pulling and sitting his starting QB because he loses confidence in him every other week?  Throwing his team under the bus constantly saying there's not enough talent on the team, and they have to play perfect to win, and 5 guys could have run through the hole Crowell wants credit for?!?!?  Wanting to stay with offensive play calling so much he ignores head coaching responsibilities like making sure the other teams radios are turned off when  ours aren't working? Hell even when you look back to Oakland's last game that lost them playoff hopes Hue blames the want to win of his team, and not his play calling.   It is all of this that makes Hue a bad coach, a terrible coach.

You can complain about weapons and all that all day long, but you give Hue Jackson Duke Johnson, and he gets taken out of games and not used enough.  You Give Hue Jackson Josh Gordon, and out team plays worse than it did before we got him (Greenbay and Chciago were terrible).  I understand other players get hurt but you want to see a team improve as the year goes on and I can't help but think we are just getting worse and worse.

You can say what you want about Sashi and this roster, no one could have made the playoffs with this roster, I was hoping at the beginning of the season for 5-6 wins, but it was never going to be a fast build, and freaking out on Sashi after year 2 of a long re-build is hilarious to me.  We have an owner, and a front office, who has no patience and that is going to screw us for years.  We might make a big step this year, but if we are going to freak out and spend all the money we can and trade up for players giving away draft assets we have a good chance of getting to 8-8 and just sitting there like so many teams who want to be good now do...

So, in your opinion, do you think the roster is better today than when Sashi took over?

4 minutes ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

So, in your opinion, do you think the roster is better today than when Sashi took over?

Do I think the roster is better today than when Sashi took over.  No, not necessarily. 

I think that we lost talented players at a fault like Mitchell Schwartz & Tashaun Gipson.

I also think we lost fairly talented players who made us the most expensive defense that clearly weren't helping us a lot and it was worth seeing if younger players could do the job and improve like Tramon WIlliams, Donte Whitner, Karlos Dansby, Desmond Bryant, Paul Kruger and Randy Starks.

Also losing Alex Mack sucked but he didn't seem to want to come back.  Losing Joe Hadan also wasn't great but he wasn't really staying on the field and definitely not playing like he used to and it was a hefty price tag for a player who was at best our 3rd best CB.

But on the other side of that, we have Very young VERY talented players to help us set up for the future.  Larry Ogunjobi has already seemed to show more promise than Bryant and Starks were.  I also like the idea of Caleb Brantley continuing to grow.  Myles Garrett and Emmanual Ogbah are the best pass rushers/ends we've had in years.  Our linebackers look solid with Kirksey, Schobert and Collins.  We have 2 very young promising Strong Safeties.  We still need a FS and at last 1 CB but our defense isn't in terrible shape and MUCH cheaper. (Also I would like to point out that we did try to sign many Free Safeties, most notably Tony Jefferson, he just wen't to baltimore for less money)

We aren't better on offense but would we be better long term with Josh McCown at the helm?  Again I miss Mitchell Schwartz, but Coleman has played okay at RT.  I miss Alex Mack but Tretter has also played pretty well, or O-Line is not the problem.  I don't think Dwayne Bowe is any better than Kenny Britt...  I do like the future of David Njoku over the turnstile that Gary Barnidge was as a blocker...

So do I think the roster is better today? Not really, but I don't think we are THAT much worse.  Do I think we are better set up for the future today than when Sashi took over, Unequivocally...

Yeah Sashi did somethings right. He also did somethings wrong. Having a roster go 1-31 is borderline unforgivable. I can see it being forgivable if there were no true franchise QBs available and he was left with nothing at all in the way of picks. Think Phil Savage trading everything away. He did in fact have plenty of cap space and Wentz and Watson were both available during his time here. Not identifying two Franchise QBs, when we don't have one IS unforgivable. Wentz in 2 seasons took a pretty bad Philly team to the top of the NFL. Watson before his injury had Houston in the playoff hunt. Even Grap in SanFran has them looking like they could be a wildcard dark horse. 

All of our GMs have tried to address the QB situation in two ways:

1 - waste a late first rounder and pick 2nd to mid round talent on a QB (See Quinn, Weeden, and Johnny drinks a lot.) with the tutelage of a bargain bid Vet. 

or 

2 - Drafts a garbage QB in the mid rounds during a weak QB draft class and expects them to magically learn how to be the guy while a bargain bid vet stinks up the place. 

Sashi Brown broke the mold and did NONE OF THESE!

He instead, wasted 2nd and 3rd rounders on bargain bid rookie QBs (that probably would have been there in the 4th to 6th rounds) and didn't even think to sign a bargain bid vet... instead he took a bargain bid rookie off a practice squad and called it a day. Then he traded 16 million for a second round pick and cut Osweiler (who was a bargain bid vet at franchise QB pricing.) No fanbase should EVER have to endure the QB comedy stylings of Kizer, Kessler, and Hogan ever again!  

So in conclusion and for those just wanting the cliff notes - Sashi Brown was terrible because in 2 season (full of franchise QB talented players in either the draft or free agencies,) he left us with 3 kids that could barely play college level ball. There is NOT a pro QB on this team. None of these 3 will EVER be a pro QB. Sashi Brown continued the long and proud tradition of Brown's GMs by committing the "Let's not get the best guy possible at QB" mortal sin. 

So here is to hoping Dorsey does the right thing and drafts the best QB in the draft! 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

15 minutes ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

So I'll answer this as well if y'all don't mind.

I think when Sashi took over we didn't have anyone in front 7 comparable to Ogbah, Garrett, Collins or Schobert at their positions in terms of talent.

As bad as our DB's may be, Kindred, BBC and McCourtey are better than what was here when he took their job.

The OL is comparable, but younger at C, RG, and RT.

No change at RB.

QB and TE are more talented, but not as productive, the latter due in part because of the former.

WR is about the same. More talented now, but still a need.

9 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Yeah Sashi did somethings right. He also did somethings wrong. Having a roster go 1-31 is borderline unforgivable. I can see it being forgivable if there were no true franchise QBs available and he was left with nothing at all in the way of picks. Think Phil Savage trading everything away. He did in fact have plenty of cap space and Wentz and Watson were both available during his time here. Not identifying two Franchise QBs, when we don't have one IS unforgivable. Wentz in 2 seasons took a pretty bad Philly team to the top of the NFL. Watson before his injury had Houston in the playoff hunt. Even Grap in SanFran has them looking like they could be a wildcard dark horse. 

All of our GMs have tried to address the QB situation in two ways:

1 - waste a late first rounder and pick 2nd to mid round talent on a QB (See Quinn, Weeden, and Johnny drinks a lot.) with the tutelage of a bargain bid Vet. 

or 

2 - Drafts a garbage QB in the mid rounds during a weak QB draft class and expects them to magically learn how to be the guy while a bargain bid vet stinks up the place. 

Sashi Brown broke the mold and did NONE OF THESE!

He instead, wasted 2nd and 3rd rounders on bargain bid rookie QBs (that probably would have been there in the 4th to 6th rounds) and didn't even think to sign a bargain bid vet... instead he took a bargain bid rookie off a practice squad and called it a day. Then he traded 16 million for a second round pick and cut Osweiler (who was a bargain bid vet at franchise QB pricing.) No fanbase should EVER have to endure the QB comedy stylings of Kizer, Kessler, and Hogan ever again!  

So in conclusion and for those just wanting the cliff notes - Sashi Brown was terrible because in 2 season (full of franchise QB talented players in either the draft or free agencies,) he left us with 3 kids that could barely play college level ball. There is NOT a pro QB on this team. None of these 3 will EVER be a pro QB. Sashi Brown continued the long and proud tradition of Brown's GMs by committing the "Let's not get the best guy possible at QB" mortal sin. 

So here is to hoping Dorsey does the right thing and drafts the best QB in the draft! 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

I will say that I feel this part is unfair.

Wentz was a huge question mark, though not unworthy of taking the risk at 2.

Watson was barely considered a first round talent by a lot of people, I would have been okay with him as our first pick in the second...

The Pats wouldn't trade us Jimmy G and what Free Agent wants to sign with us in the first place.

But I agree he could have been more aggressive at the QB position, but that would have been at the cost of a lot of pieces we ended up getting, including but not limited to possibly the 4th pick in this draft...

3 hours ago, CBrownsman said:

I will say that I feel this part is unfair.

Wentz was a huge question mark, though not unworthy of taking the risk at 2.

Watson was barely considered a first round talent by a lot of people, I would have been okay with him as our first pick in the second...

The Pats wouldn't trade us Jimmy G and what Free Agent wants to sign with us in the first place.

But I agree he could have been more aggressive at the QB position, but that would have been at the cost of a lot of pieces we ended up getting, including but not limited to possibly the 4th pick in this draft...

I know there were a few question marks BUT it is their jobs to scout out and have answers for them. Philly knew Wentz was well worth it as did Houston with Watson. We could have made those picks. We could have had our answer at QB. Again it is the death wish of any Cleveland GM that doesn't address the QB position.

Draft Darnold and sign a decent vet to a front loaded 2-3 year deal to get them here. Sit Darnold and tell the vet the following:

Win 4-5 games next year and teach Darnold a thing or two about the game. That's all I would expect. That's all I would want. 

Even if all of the other picks are complete busts but Darnold is our franchise QB for the next 15 years... I will consider this draft an epic success. 

that is all

Mastercheddaar

I cant say sashi did a good job, average job, or bad job.  I CAN say that he did what was necessary for this team to ever be able to have success by drastically improving the value of our roster/picks/cap moving forward from this point on.   Wentz woulda got killed with Hue having him throw 40 times a game right away.  Who knows how he would have panned out here.  Hue gotz to go.  Like monday.

Also, as i said before, sashis first draft isnt even complete yet.  Picks roughly 4/60 are yet to come.  

I am quite positive the stockpiling of picks would have ended this year and the actual megabuild would have commenced, which is what dorsey is probably about to do.  

Sorry, they went from 2-14 to 11-5.

It's AMAZING what not having a black hole of a QB can do for a team.  It isn't even that Luck was that great, it's that the jackholes they had were THAT bad..............kinda like our current QBs.  

But YOU'RE the expert, so.................

Archived