FA Thread 2018

barnaby8787

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

I think Cousins is going to take his time, which will allow us to "close" deals prior to March 14. Part of our pitch will be locking these guys up before Cousins signs so If we want Robinson bad enough, there's a good chance we can get him. At the end of the day, most of these decisions come down to money. I also think Maccagnan, who needs to spend roughly 89% of the cap, is going to treat FA like he does the draft and target the absolute BEST players regardless of position (maybe with exception of safety) to insure that his money is well spent. It should be a very interesting process. 

As far as competition? I don't buy SF spending big on WRs. BAL doesn't have enough money and sounds as if they will target bargain bin guys like Moncrief. Cleveland could step in, but they still have a lot of capital at that position... I feel a Pryor reunion is most likely there. I think Jacksonville re-signs Lee instead. The Panthers will likely target a deep threat, but I don't expect them to make a big splash either. The Bears and Redskins pose as the biggest threats in my mind, with SEA being a sleeper. I think the Bears sign Wilson and someone like John Brown as well as finalize a deal for Jarvis Landry. I think Watkins pulls the stunner and signs with SEA, replacing Richardson who leaves in FA. That would leave the Jets and Redskins as his two most likely destinations, with the loser possibly settling for Richardson. 

These are just projections, but I think when you factor in that Robinson will likely want a 1 year deal in the $10-12M range, which allows him to cash in as well as retest the market at age 26, it limits the number of suitors that can really go after him. 

Fully agree that we attack FA right away regardless of Cousins signing. I think positions like C will be easier for us to get bc that’s just money. While I think money will be a big thing for AR15... I think he will want a good QB. He had a down year bc Bortles was so bad in 2016. So I think he will want better QB play. In order to get him... we will really have to convince him that we got Cousins. Or really convince him that we love a couple guys in the draft. I’d also look for him to flip flop. I could see him on Monday agree to terms with us. And if CousIns takes until Wednesday to decide... he can change his mind. Bc technically the players can’t sign until Wednesday.

I  wonder who Mac wants in the FA period ? We all know Cousins in the main target, but what are his other players he is interested in? If we can pick up two or three productive players it sure would strength our roster before the draft. No question Mac's strong point has been his FA pick ups. There sure are players in FA who sure can help us, but we will be bidding against 31 teams. Players like Dion Lewis & Alan Robinson also Tyler Eifert, would give our offensive a huge boost. And if we could get players like this it sure won't hurt trying to get Cousins. If we are lucky enough to get Cousins what we do with our 6 overall pick in the draft a player like Calvin Ridley or Nelson could be very interesting. This FA period is so important for Jets it is the key to our future. I really believe we can turn this team around with a strong offseason. The reason I mention Ridley is because we are not sure about Anderson & Enunwa, for obvious reasons.

Edited by doumeyer

6 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I think my wishlist for targets is Tyrann, AR15/Graham, Richberg/Jensen, and Breeland. A Center and AR15 are at the top of my list because they will improve the offense no matter who we sign or draft. 

If we don't get Cousins, give me Teddy B., AR15, Burton/Graham, Richburg/Jensen, Pugh, Tyrann, and one of the top corners. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Fully agree that we attack FA right away regardless of Cousins signing. I think positions like C will be easier for us to get bc that’s just money. While I think money will be a big thing for AR15... I think he will want a good QB. He had a down year bc Bortles was so bad in 2016. So I think he will want better QB play. In order to get him... we will really have to convince him that we got Cousins. Or really convince him that we love a couple guys in the draft. I’d also look for him to flip flop. I could see him on Monday agree to terms with us. And if CousIns takes until Wednesday to decide... he can change his mind. Bc technically the players can’t sign until Wednesday.

I don’t think your wrong. I think the key in recruiting him - or any offensive free agent for that matter - will be outlining the “ABCD” QB plan, as well as how Bates plans to use him. If he tells him he sees him as a Brandon Marshall-type player in his offense (back-to-back 100 catch seasons in 2007-08), it’ll be a big contributing factor. Even if Allen is getting the ball from a non-elite QB, his progress on a 1 year deal will pump up his market for his contract next year.

Another pitch: look what Robby Anderson and Jermaine Kearse did in the scheme with McCown. Just imagine what you can do, Mr. Robinson.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I don’t think your wrong. I think the key in recruiting him - or any offensive free agent for that matter - will be outlining the “ABCD” QB plan, as well as how Bates plans to use him. If he tells him he sees him as a Brandon Marshall-type player in his offense (back-to-back 100 catch seasons in 2007-08), it’ll be a big contributing factor. Even if Allen is getting the ball from a non-elite QB, his progress on a 1 year deal will pump up his market for his contract next year.

Another pitch: look what Robby Anderson and Jermaine Kearse did in the scheme with McCown. Just imagine what you can do, Mr. Robinson.  

Very true. 

4 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Well.... it IS a different scheme.  We fired Morton.

12 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

That doesn't seem true since, for one, we are changing to a ZBS.  If that is changing I am pretty sure Bates is going to wanna change more.

Passing scheme was co-designed by Bates. Bowles wants to run the ball more, hence bringing in Dennison, hence a slight chance in blocking. We were a ZBS last year, we just won’t be so reliant on “inside-out” blocking as we were last year. 

Aside: every scheme experiences slight chances and adjustments year-to-year. If they didn’t, those teams would be left in the dust.

1 minute ago, barnaby8787 said:

Wouldn't be shocked if Mac goes after Suh if he's cut and we don't get Cousins.  Granted, I think Suh would likely want to play for a contender at this point.

I think he’s too old for what we are trying to do with rebuilding this team.

1 minute ago, jetskid007 said:

Passing scheme was co-designed by Bates. Bowles wants to run the ball more, hence bringing in Dennison, hence a slight chance in blocking. We were a ZBS last year, we just won’t be so reliant on “inside-out” blocking as we were last year. 

Aside: every scheme experiences slight chances and adjustments year-to-year. If they didn’t, those teams would be left in the dust.

Exactly you don’t see NE, NO, etc running the same scheme each year. Otherwise just studying film would win against Them.

29 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think he’s too old for what we are trying to do with rebuilding this team.

Maybe, but he's still dominant and relies more on strength than athleticism at this point, so likely has a few dominant years left in him.  

Edited by barnaby8787

Just now, barnaby8787 said:

Maybe, but he's still dominant and relies more on strength than athleticism, so likely has a few dominant years left in him.  

Macc kinda eluded to that he’s ok with what he have in the DLine as well. If that was a smoke screen I’d expect us to go after younger options like Poe or something before Suh. I don’t see a Sheldon reunion with us cleaning up the locker room.