Dean Pees

alfalcone

4 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I was the biggest person on the Chuck Pagano for defensive coordinator bandwagon back in the day, but I don’t think we see him coaching this season. He’s being paid head coach money by the Colts for the next two seasons and with having had cancer and having stated in 2015 that the Colts job would be his last, I think he’s going to be done for at least a few years. You have to think he must have made some promises of committing more time to his family after all that’s happened.

If anything I could see Fangio brought in as our defensive coordinator and Pagano brought on as some sort of senior defensive advisor, where he can still “stay active in the game” without the same time commitment of a true coach. And for Harbaugh that would really win a lot of morale over with fans. As opposed to getting one of their two fan favorites... they would get both.

I like the sound of this. I had forgot that Pagano made that comment in 2015. I'm still holding out hope we get some defensive mind equivalent to Sean McVay, but probably not going to happen.

Pagano will be 58 in October. Fangio will be 60 in August. At their respective ages, I don’t think anyone will be looking to hire either as a NFL head coach. That’s a big reason I would love to see one of them as the Ravens defensive coordinator. They would likely be the DC until they retire from the game.

And as stated earlier in the thread, Martindale sucked in Denver in 2010. 32nd in yards and points against. Enough said.

With 7 teams now making coaching changes, the Ravens could possibly lose some assistants again. The flip side to that coin is that the Ravens could bring in some new assistants as well. I’d like to see them stock the defensive coaching staff as they did last year by bringing in Roman and D’Alessandris to help the offense.

My gut tells me Greg Roman will be some other team’s OC next year.

Sounds like Pagano is the top choice. 

Given that it's not even a guarantee that he's coaching next year anywhere, I hope we have other external targets we're looking at before settling for Martindale. But good to hear that the outreach is happening - I think Pagano is a little overrated based on the easy schedule we played in 2011 but I would definitely take him over Martindale. 

4 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Sounds like Pagano is the top choice. 

Given that it's not even a guarantee that he's coaching next year anywhere, I hope we have other external targets we're looking at before settling for Martindale. But good to hear that the outreach is happening - I think Pagano is a little overrated based on the easy schedule we played in 2011 but I would definitely take him over Martindale. 

Yeah, Pagano's one year really burns bright in our minds and it probably is overstated.... but the scheme and play-calling was on-point for the most part. For some reason I specifically remember that season as the only one where Terrence Cody was used effectively and he played like it. Odd given that he was a nose tackle, but Mattison's and Pees' schemes kind of relied on a nose that can make something happen on his own given how vanilla the rest of the scheme up front is (was!). 

If we see a defensive coordinator brought in from outside the staff I have high, high hopes for the defensive line. That's still the most talented group on the team. Having somebody in to actually utilize different talents or build a scheme around them (not force them into a specific role/scheme) would do wonders. Then with the edge guys freed up.... wow.

Still expecting Martindale though. 

11 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

Give me Fangio!

I'll take Chuckie as a consolation, however.

I just don't think anyone is more excited than myself that the Dean Pees nightmare is finally over! FINALLY OVER!

Keep in mind it could be worse. Greg Mattison. Never forget. 

8 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Could you imagine if Harbaugh with his comments about bringing in someone that knows this system, he was talking about bringing back Mattison?????

"Greg brings a great knowledge of our system and a history of having successful defenses at both levels of football. He's a tremendous leader and coach and highly respected everywhere he goes. We're lucky to have him join our staff again."

Archived