Daintrain28's New Years Mock Draft

daintrain28

Coaching Changes

~Dom Capers is fired

509732d2ef52e.image.jpg

I’m probably the biggest Capers apologist here, but even I can admit, it’s probably time for new blood.  I think Capers deserves credit for his role in our championship in SB XLV and transforming our defense to  a 3-4.  However, I also think it’s time to move on…

~Vic Fangio is hired as the new DC

Vic-Fangio.jpg

LIS, I’m against the firing of Capers, however, if doing so nets us Fangio, bring it on!  Fangio was absolutely brilliant in San Francisco, but perhaps even more impressive is that he took a Chicago defense devoid of any talent and turned it into a top 10 defense.

I can’t help but think what he could do with our defense, which is loaded with talent (admittedly underachieving talent, but talent nonetheless).

Resigned:

~Morgan Burnett S

160916-burnett-feature-950.jpg

We have the makings of an excellent secondary.  Don’t mess around with it!  I fear Burnett would become another Casey Hayward or Micah Hyde.  Lock the boy up and enjoy the benefits of having two awesome safeties to pair next to each other.

~Ahmad Brooks OLB

170921-brooks-coor-950.jpg

With the hiring of Vic Fangio, Green Bay brings back one of his players from SF.  Brooks exceled under Fangio in SF.  I’d be intrigued what their reunion could bring in GB.

~Quinton Dials DE

170907-dial-feature-950.jpg

Ditto

~Davon House CB

170914-house-feature-950.jpg

Knows the system, tall, can run, and most of all, I can’t see him being expensive.  Adds depth, veteran savvy and should be worth bringing back...

~Richard Rodgers TE

15a89837cc1af8f34848406d82b3f17d--arron-

I personally don’t see much of a market for Rodgers.  He lacks elite speed and athleticism, however, if his a tough, gritty, hard nosed player who knows our system and adds depth.

~Jeff Janis WR

6_4064164.jpg

Never developed as a WR the way many were hoping, but too valuable on ST to let walk.  Should be inexpensive...

Cut/Not Resigned:

~Brett Hundley

~Demetri Goodson

~Jahri Evans

Free Agent:

~Mark Sanchez QB

Mark-Sanchez-Eagles.trade.final.png 

I know, I know, calm down...I think the lack of success of Hundley means a shift of philosophy.  If indeed Rodgers gets hurt, the best person to man the helm is a journeyman NFL QB with some success in the NFL; not some whelp who the stage is too big for.  Sanchez has no business starting in the NFL, that doesn’t mean he couldn’t be awfully good off the bench in relief.  At the very least he’s an upgrade over Hundley...

The Draft:

With the 14th pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...

Clelin Ferrell OLB Clemson

6’5” 265 lbs. 4.77/40

ClelinFerrell_2017_1.jpg

Extremely fast off the edge, but thick and strong by 3-4 OLB standards.  An absolute force off the edge and could be exactly the missing piece to tie our defense together.

When I look at our defense, I see a lot of secondary pass rushers who would benefit from an elite pass rusher.  With all do respect to Clay Matthews, I think at this point in his career he is more of a better fit at ILB, and the drafting of Ferrell would allow him to do just that.

With the ballhawks we have in the secondary, I really truly wonder how the selection of Ferrell would benefit them as well...

With the 46th pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...

Isaiah Wynn, C/G/OT, Georgia

6’2” 302 lbs. 5.10/40

3444771.jpg

Athletic, strong, versatile and oh-so nasty!  I think last season proved what an injury to Aaron Rodgers meana to our season.  Wynn in the second round is an absolute coup!  Unlike most prospects, Wynn is equally as talented as a run blocker and in pass protection.  

It’s unclear if he is better suited at G or T, but there is a strong likelihood he is starting caliber in the NFL.  I’d like it to be protecting #12.

With the 78th pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...

Mark Andrews TE Oklahoma

6’5” 250 lbs. 4.78/40

181482_Mark-Andrews-Oklahoma-TCU-by-Rona

Very fast and excellent size.  Extremely effective running i[ the seam and gives us another TE prospect to pair with Kendricks,

With the 110th pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...

James Washington WR Oklahoma State

6’1” 205 lbs.4.50/40

JW.jpg

Intriguing prospect.  Deceptively fast, although his speed doesn’t show up until he “gets going”, he has become quite a deep threat and that could add a nice wrinkle to our offense.  Additionally, he’s thick and built like a RB garnering a lot of YAC.  Could be a nice addition…]

With the 174th pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...

Godwin Igwebuike S Northwestern

6’0” 200 lbs. 4.59/40

hqdefault.jpg

Aggressive and always around the football.  Quick and excellent  to come up in the box, and unlike most prospects of this makeup, he isn’t a liability in pass coverage.

With the 212th pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...

Alex McGough QB Florida International

6’2” 220 lbs. 4.74/40

Alex+McGough+Western+Kentucky+v+Florida+

Extremely interesting!  McGough is a productive collegiate QB who is SMART with the football.  Unfortunately, he broke his collarbone in the Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl meaning he will miss the Senior Bowl and the combine.  This is likely a mid round pick at least that could be there at the end of the draft.  Value!

This is an interesting scenario but I have a feeling we'll bring J. Evans back if the price is right.  I thought he played well this season.  Sanchez as a backup QB isn't a bad idea.  We've seen enough of Hundley.  That kid in round 6 would be one to develop.  We do have a dozen picks this year so are you suggesting we moved up to take some of these players?

20 minutes ago, Pugger said:

This is an interesting scenario but I have a feeling we'll bring J. Evans back if the price is right.  I thought he played well this season.  Sanchez as a backup QB isn't a bad idea.  We've seen enough of Hundley.  That kid in round 6 would be one to develop.  We do have a dozen picks this year so are you suggesting we moved up to take some of these players?

I disagree. I just don't think Sanchez offers you enough upside. In the past couple years at backup duty, Sanchez is 4-6 with a 64% completion percentage. Hundley is 3-6 as a starter (with one throwaway loss since we rested starters) with a 60% completion percentage. 

In my opinion, Hundley offers you the same abilities, while also offering some athletic upside (if things begin to click for him).  

That being said, I'd be ok with us drafting a QB to begin grooming.

4 hours ago, Pugger said:

I like the Sanchez idea too, a new idea, but one that may actually work. And yes I agree, Hundley is wasted space, we've seen what he can't do in this offense and other teams have seen it now too. I'm not even sure you could get a 6th or 7th rounder for him anymore. Gosh it seems like only yesterday where I said I'd accept nothing less than a 2nd for him. 

I love mock drafts and I appreciate them good or bad, so thanks for your effort and hard work. I like your first round pick and to be honest with you the rest are just names to me, but I personally would love to go WR in the 2nd this year. That's Ted's spot to shine with that position. And as far as Richard Rodgers goes, I'd gladly take him back, but anything more than say 1.1 million is overboard already for him. 

Archived