Ted Thompson to transition into a new role within the organization. GB will begin a search for a new GM.

marky mark

18 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

Also in regards to Ball, with him being the ‘negotiator ‘ there could be a lot of ill feelings between him and some of the players. Contract negations can get very messy. 

I heard the other day that he has an assistant that would presumably take on greater responsibility in that area.  

17 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I heard the other day that he has an assistant that would presumably take on greater responsibility in that area.  

Idk what that could mean . Yes ultimately is the one signing off. If he’s not a negotiator what does he do there.

If anyone here has a clear distinct train of thought as to how this should end up - you are a better man than I. 

Twists and turns every day. Trust the process I guess.

I can imagine there is tons more we are not hearing which makes it mind blowing the amount of info fans never got pre-internet.

54 minutes ago, cannondale said:

If anyone here has a clear distinct train of thought as to how this should end up - you are a better man than I. 

Twists and turns every day. Trust the process I guess.

I can imagine there is tons more we are not hearing which makes it mind blowing the amount of info fans never got pre-internet.

I’m of two thoughts, depending on how Mark Murphy is:

1. Mark truly doesn’t care what anyone thinks and he goes with his guy Russ Ball. That will likely mean McCarthy leaving and a weird relationship with Aaron Rodgers. But if Mark trust his gut and if he has a strong feeling about Ball... he should go with him.

2. Mark... as he showed during his press conference, reads the media’s work (calling out Pete Dougherty on how it’s HIS call not the firm he is hiring). With that he knows the drama Ball’s hiring will cause. He values McCarthy and maybe has a spoken deal that he won’t hire anyone McCarthy doesn’t support. This route Murphy values the group dynamic rather than getting “his guy”.

Number 2 leads me to think John Schneider is the likely GM. A few things... I think Mark Murphy isn’t a stone killer like Ted, who will just do it HIS way. I think Murphy values the group that has been assembled and wants to keep it as much as he can. Plus I get the feeling people don’t think Eliot or Brian are ready for the GM pants. It’s why they have gotten passed over by others. With that John Schneider is the only “packer guy” viable out there for us... with Dorsey in Cleveland and Reggie declining.

Plus Schneider hasn’t made a formal statement yet... if he was truly comfortable in Seattle he would come out by now. I bet they are secretly talking.

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

From Wilde

While multiple reports have pegged Ball as the favorite for the job, one league source said Friday afternoon that Ball “isn’t the slam-dunk some people seem to think he is.”

Remember this is the group that just signed Bennett and Peppers with no one really knowing they were ever interested...

so im sure it’s not as simple as it’s Ball.

8 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

From Wilde

While multiple reports have pegged Ball as the favorite for the job, one league source said Friday afternoon that Ball “isn’t the slam-dunk some people seem to think he is.”

Also from Wilde that I read on another forum but can't find link

Apparently Ball has basically been running things for the last 2 years. That would explain a lot if true. Again, second hand but seems to fit because that's further reason why MM and or AR would be pissed and why MM and Ball have had a recent falling out

Just now, cannondale said:

Apparently Ball has basically been running things for the last 2 years. That would explain a lot if true. Again, second hand but seems to fit because that's further reason why MM and or AR would be pissed. 

But wait that would mean Ball IS going after free agents though...

im confused now haha.

1 hour ago, pollino14 said:

Idk what that could mean . Yes ultimately is the one signing off. If he’s not a negotiator what does he do there.

Right now Ball is the chief negotiator, but he also has an assistant that helps him out with some duties.  If he becomes gm he will presumably have his assistant take some of his former duties while he starts doing more of Ted's old duties.   I doubt ball as GM would want to be as directly involved with agents, but who knows for sure.  Ted is not currently real involved in talking face to face with agents .. ball does that stuff. 

6 minutes ago, Green19 said:

But wait that would mean Ball IS going after free agents though...

im confused now haha.

And letting FA's walk as well don't forget. It makes sense - I'm efforting a link

I always found it weird that we not only signed one tight end, but two ?  That has stuck with me all year as odd

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Apparently Ball has basically been running things for the last 2 years. That would explain a lot if true. Again, second hand but seems to fit because that's further reason why MM and or AR would be pissed. 

That could be the case. I remember reading months ago that Ted was delegating more things to others and had cut way back on his travel schedule. I don't think ol Ted has had the best health the past few years. 

Rut Roh Raggy!  The news of this day is giving me heartburn.  There’s no real clear path to victory here, as it appears as though the GM selection - regardless of who’s selected - will result in some level of casualty to the program or existing staff members, and maybe even players.  This is much more difficult than I anticipated, and I anticipated a fair level of difficulty to begin with.  God I hope this all works out.

Archived