Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

54 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Ball & Gute probably have a couple game plans already mapped out.  There have been rumors for months that the Packers would franchise tag Adams if they have to. Maybe it's a bluff, but there are ways to get under the cap.  I doubt they are comfortable losing Adams for a 3rd round comp pick in 2023.  

Yeah, you might be right, but I feel like we'd have to be stretched too thin to do it.

I think the Packer have a deal in place with Rodgers, not signed yet but both sides are happy.  Rodgers recent "great talks" with the Packers aren't about Rodgers, they're about Adams and getting Adams back.  My guess is they are probably close with Adams and could sign him in the next couple of weeks or could tag him and work on something in the coming months. 100% speculation,  we'll see.

Edited by NFLGURU

PackersWire -  Ian Rapoport suggested something like a two-year deal with void years to help with the salary cap in 2022. A big signing bonus spread over five years (assuming three void years) would drastically lower his cap number this year while also helping him become the game’s highest-paid player – a fitting financial arrangement for the NFL’s back-to-back MVP.

Rodgers, who turned 38 years old this past December, is still deciding his future in football. He can return, retire or request a trade.

Patrick Mahomes currently leads all quarterbacks with a contract that averages $45 million per season. Mahomes, Josh Allen Allen and Dak Prescott all average over $40 million per year.

Rodgers’ current deal (which expires following the 2022 season) averages $33.5 million. He’s set to count almost $47 million on the cap in 2022, but his cash flow during the year will be just under $28 million. And the Packers need to rework his deal to lower his cap number in 2022 and allow much-needed financial flexibility.

Andrew Brandt - Re questions on Aaron: yes, sticking with view that he will separate from Packers. I know: he's playing great and likes the front office more.  But it is where I am.

Last year I said he would be back when many said he wouldn't.
Now I maintain he won't be back as many say he will.

///

I agree with this sentiment. I think he's been planning on leaving for some time.

Edited by Leader

Adam Schefter -  Packers are prepared to go all in for Aaron Rodgers in 2022, spending as close to the cap this year and spreading it into future years as much as possible, per sources. Saints used this approach for Drew Brees and Green Bay willing to deploy that model to further entice Rogers.

Andrew Brandt - I know, "But Andrew, Aaron thanked the front office by name in his MVP speech!"
Yes, and he's mentioned them before.  But if he's just continuing to play there, why does he feel the need to be doing that? My sense is it's an appreciation looking back, not forward.

///

I agree (again). AR's been giving "I'm outta here" retirement/leaving-like post game speeches for weeks - filled with love and gratitude for all things Packers - which decidedly doesnt sound like someone sticking around.

Andrew Brandt -  The Packers do seem like a boyfriend or girlfriend desperate to stay in a relationship, publicly professing their love -- through ESPN and NFLN -- for all to see.  Hmm. This is not a team that ever negotiates publicly.

Have the Packers ever said, as they did last year: "We're not trading Aaron Rodgers?"  
That will mean a lot more than "We're prepared to pay him a lot.

Brandt put all his chips on the "no way Rodgers comes back in 2022" hand last year and continues to think the Packers want to turn it over to Love. Don't think he's seeing this objectively that this is not the Favre-Rodgers situation with Rodgers and Love. In fact, it's really not close at all.

Maybe most important of all...Gute isn't Ted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Brandt put all his chips on the "no way Rodgers comes back in 2022" hand last year and continues to think the Packers want to turn it over to Love. Don't think he's seeing this objectively that this is not the Favre-Rodgers situation with Rodgers and Love. In fact, it's really not close at all.

Maybe most important of all...Gute isn't Ted.

Could be....but outside his comments that he was around during the Favre/Rodgers time.....I've not seen him connect that circumstance to current events.

Brandt's felt the Packers were going to move on from AR after this season. That opinion started back "pre-COVID" - before the salary cap upheaval and it only cost 17M to part ways. 

He's remained consistent - for which I give him props.

It would be interesting to have a take on what the FO guys think about AR's mindset. Whether THEY think he actually wants to return. Apparently, they're willing to figure out the future with him on board. This is breaking news today - but I suspect this offer's been in AR's hands for some time already.

Peter Bukowski -  This sets up a difficult question: would you rather stay all-in the next two years with Rodgers then be left with a huge question at QB and no compensation when he retires

Or

Trade him now, get a haul with an already loaded roster, and try to build for 2023+?

• Like 1

Peter Bukowski  -   I don't know who needs to hear this, but the drafting of Jordan Love can only be viewed through the lens of the facts at the time.

No one, even Aaron Rodgers' biggest fans, predicted he'd be a back-to-back MVP after the 15-19 stretch.

I like Brandt a lot. Has offered so many tremendous insights through the years. He was the only person who made me pause about my read of the Rodgers situation dating back to last summer when every person on the planet had decided Rodgers was forcing his way out via trade or free agency. He simply missed the mark on this one. Can't fault him or anyone given the way Rodgers used the media to manipulate the entire situation. When Schefter is out there saying flat out that Rodgers wants out, why wouldn't you believe him. Truth is Rodgers wanted to force the Packers to COMMIT. He wanted to eliminate any possibility of them moving on to Love while he was still desiring to play. He didn't want to be Favre. And he wants to get what Favre couldn't get. And he's about to get every single thing he wanted.

Brandt saw things from the team side. He didn't see things from the Rodgers side. Nor did he consider how Rodgers could play it to the point that his desires and the team's could align in the end.

13 minutes ago, Leader said:

Peter Bukowski -  This sets up a difficult question: would you rather stay all-in the next two years with Rodgers then be left with a huge question at QB and no compensation when he retires

Or

Trade him now, get a haul with an already loaded roster, and try to build for 2023+?

To me....if you sign Rodgers to a deal like the one Ian is saying, can you really get the other pieces around him so that you can win the Super Bowl.  We thought we had the team this year but we did not win it.  Only time will tell on that.  But I personally do not see a team put together with Rodgers that will be a strong as this year's team.  So with that, I personally just cannot see this team winning another title with Rodgers as his age and cap hit is going to catch up to him and this team.  Then when he does retire, we will be left in a Saints type of situation.  A complete gut of the team.  So in two years if we stay with Rodgers and we still have not won it, would we have been better off parting and starting the rebuild now with extra draft picks and more cap space next year.

I also personally think he wants to move on...start afresh, try something new.  So I agree with Brandt's take.  This has been in the making for a year.  The team with the rumors of the contract terms and the front office saying all the right things can say "we tried as hard as we could to convince him", so it gives them cover with the fans.  I don't think either side is wrong here.  I think we should know here in about 2 weeks...especially if the team comes to terms or not with Adams.

• Like 1