Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Bill Huber / SI -   Crosby returned to form late in the season. During the four games before the finale at Detroit, Crosby made all 24 kicks. Most of them were short, but he made them. That hot streak was broken against the Lions, and Crosby didn’t have a prayer of avoiding the blocked field goal in the playoff loss to San Francisco.

At age 37, his leg isn’t what it once was but he’s still got some power. Crosby made 3-of-4 field goals from 50-plus yards, including two during the thrilling Week 3 victory at San Francisco. His average kickoff went 64.1 yards, the longest of his career. While his touchback percentage ranked only 22nd, his kickoffs helped pin the receiving team inside its 20-yard line 10.6 percent of the time. That, believe it or not considering the special teams’ struggles, ranked ninth in the league.

Tasked with changing the results and culture on special teams, will new coordinator Rich Bisaccia want to roll with an untested kicker – whether it’s Molson or some other young gun that emerges from a presumptive kicking competition? Or will Gutekunst convince Crosby to do what he did nine years ago and take a restructured deal in hopes that history repeats itself?estructured contract cut Crosby’s cap charge for 2021 but bumped it to $4.375 million for 2022. The Packers could move on and save $2.395 million for next season but incur dead-money charges through 2025. He’ll turn 38 just before the start of the season.

In 2012, Crosby was a woeful 21-of-33 on field goals, his 63.6 percent accuracy was the worst in the league. The following offseason, Crosby accepted an incentives-filled restructure. That set the stage for the second act of his career.

In 2013, he rebounded by making what was a career-best 89.2 percent of his field goals. Crosby continued to reward the team for its faith by hitting 81.8 percent in 2014, 85.7 percent in 2015, 86.7 percent in 2016, 78.9 percent in 2017, 81.1 percent in 2018, 91.7 percent in 2019 and 100.0 percent in 2020.

25 minutes ago, Leader said:

Peter Bukowski -  This sets up a difficult question: would you rather stay all-in the next two years with Rodgers then be left with a huge question at QB and no compensation when he retires

Or

Trade him now, get a haul with an already loaded roster, and try to build for 2023+?

Why can't people think 2-3 steps at a time? They'll draft a QB in the 2023 or 2024 draft and try and re-run the original succession plan they intended for Love. This time they'll simply have more in-depth discussion with Rodgers about how long he wants to play. Rodger's actual successor (not Love) will take the reigns 2-3 years from now when he announces his retirement and he leaves on his terms as the QB with the longest career with the same team.

11 minutes ago, Leader said:

Peter Bukowski  -   I don't know who needs to hear this, but the drafting of Jordan Love can only be viewed through the lens of the facts at the time.

No one, even Aaron Rodgers' biggest fans, predicted he'd be a back-to-back MVP after the 15-19 stretch.

I still had a problem with it because of the timing. 2017 Rodgers was hurt and 2018 was the "we need to get rid of McCarthy" year. Then LaFleur comes in, you make it to the NFCCG and it's year 1 of the new offense, and you draft a QB? By far one of the strangest moves by a FO I can recall. At least wait another year and see how Rodgers does in year 2 of the LaFleur offense, which as many predicted...the offense blew up, as did Rodgers. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Why can't people think 2-3 steps at a time? They'll draft a QB in the 2023 or 2024 draft and try and re-run the original succession plan they intended for Love. This time they'll simply have more in-depth discussion with Rodgers about how long he wants to play. Rodger's actual successor (not Love) will take the reigns 2-3 years from now when he announces his retirement and he leaves on his terms as the QB with the longest career with the same team.

This was always the move. You draft a QB when Rodgers is 39-40 years old, not when he's 36, about to be in year 2 of a new, more innovative offense, and coming off a NFCCG game. Lmao. 

• Like 1

Just now, packfanfb said:

I still had a problem with it because of the timing. 2017 Rodgers was hurt and 2018 was the "we need to get rid of McCarthy" year. Then LaFleur comes in, you make it to the NFCCG and it's year 1 of the new offense, and you draft a QB? By far one of the strangest moves by a FO I can recall. At least wait another year and see how Rodgers does in year 2 of the LaFleur offense, which as many predicted...the offense blew up, as did Rodgers. 

I didnt expect it - but also didnt have a problem with it when it occurred.

Players are drafted every year with expectation that they will eventually rotate up into starters. That's the theory at least. Which means, that some current starter's situation is jeopardized.

This happens every year. Every. Single. Year.

Brendan Dzwierzynski -  Aaron Rodgers has had several documented concussions, 2x had a broken collarbone & was 1 year past a knee injury that screwed up a whole season. He was 36 & hadn’t looked like an MVP for a couple years. They took a QB to prepare for the future, avoiding a situation like PIT or NO.

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

This was always the move. You draft a QB when Rodgers is 39-40 years old, not when he's 36, about to be in year 2 of a new, more innovative offense, and coming off a NFCCG game. Lmao. 

Seems obvious now, right? They miscalculated Rodgers' demise and jumped too soon. And it wasn't without sound reason at the time either. This is them admitting the mistake, accepting the sunk cost of the wasted 1st round pick, and saying we'll run this cycle again but better this time. And I'll never argue with anyone who says the Love pick wasn't wasted because it brought this (2 MVPs) out of Rodgers. I believe there's truth in that. This dude has some of the biggest shoulder chips I've ever seen.

Edited by Mr Anonymous

Just now, Leader said:

I didnt expect it - but also didnt have a problem with it when it occurred.

Players are drafted every year with expectation that they will eventually rotate up into starters. That's the theory at least. Which means, that some current starter's situation is jeopardized.

This happens every year. Every. Single. Year.

The QB position is different. This isn't the early 2000s where first round QBs sit 2-3 years. You draft a first round QB specifically to maximize having a starting QB on a rookie contract. Maybe they sit one year, then you play them. 

Just now, packfanfb said:

The QB position is different. This isn't the early 2000s where first round QBs sit 2-3 years. You draft a first round QB specifically to maximize having a starting QB on a rookie contract. Maybe they sit one year, then you play them. 

See...that's where we disagree. I dont see it that way.

If anything - assuring you've got stability (if not greatness) at the QB position is preferable (IMO at least....) than playing out the string - sucking for a period of time necessary to draft a top talent. Again - neither here nor there - but I dont have a problem with the organization's thinking - which I might add - may in fact prove to be the road forward still.

Everybody who's espousing "He's coming back" sentiments.......take note: the offer's been in AR's hands for some time - and he's still considering things.

23 minutes ago, Leader said:

Peter Bukowski  -   I don't know who needs to hear this, but the drafting of Jordan Love can only be viewed through the lens of the facts at the time.

No one, even Aaron Rodgers' biggest fans, predicted he'd be a back-to-back MVP after the 15-19 stretch.

You also have to consider how much influence MLF had in drafting Love.  He obviously doesn't have the final say, but I'm sure his observations of Rodgers that first year carried some weight to draft Love.  

1 minute ago, NFLGURU said:

You also have to consider how much influence MLF had in drafting Love.  He obviously doesn't have the final say, but I'm sure his observations of Rodgers that first year carried some weight to draft Love.  

Could be....but I actually dont care. It was done....I personally didnt have a problem with the move.....so the "why's" of it dont interest me at this juncture. I think there was "cause" that mandated securing protection at the QB position - and they did it. Fine with me.

In big picture terms, this is great news for Packers' fans. Shows Gute's strongest internal drive is winning, above being right. He's going to take a lot of heat when Love is traded. A lot of people would have stuck with their original plan at all costs. But he is taking the path which provides the best chance to win the trophy - this coming year or next. And I have no doubt he'll be ready with a new plan when the cap dancing needs to be done at Rodgers' retirement.

Edited by Mr Anonymous

Just now, Mr Anonymous said:

But he is taking the path which provides the best chance to win the trophy - this coming year or next.

Interestingly.....though I agree that AR provides us the best opportunity for W's now - these playoff performances and losses have begun to weigh on me.

Frankly, my only two "hedges" against wanting AR back is the team going into cap hell (which I'm hoping against hope they can avoid.....) and these playoff losses.

I like getting there....no doubt....and I'm not saying Love's gonna push us over the top (certainly not at the beginning...) - but the downturns we take in the playoffs is disconcerting at best.