Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

NE followed your ideas and let the GOAT QB walk away instead of reupping his contract. Said QB has since won a SB elsewhere. We really think NE made the right call? 

Re-writing history here. Brady set up a contract to allow him to walk. They wanted him to stay, but he wanted out. Rodgers would have been dealt if he insisted this year too.  Are you really going to try and go after a team that won 7 Super Bowls over the past 2 decades? That is laughable and a really weak argument. 

FOR THE RECORD! My idea is not to allow any of them to walk without just compensation. That is a lie. 

Just now, smetana34 said:

NE followed your ideas and let the GOAT QB walk away instead of reupping his contract. Said QB has since won a SB elsewhere. We really think NE made the right call? 

Yes. They made the right call. The Patriots were not competing for a Super Bowl with Brady. That's a fact. They had a bad first round pick, they had no cap space after pushing contracts forward to get one last shot with Brady that didn't work out.

They would have gotten as far as the Championship round if Brady had come back. No further.

They let Brady go, and effectively got a head start on fixing things without him.

The Buccaneers got a franchise left tackle in the draft and had a LOT of built up high first round talent on their roster while also having deep pockets. That's why they won with Brady.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

I'm also struggling to remember which truly elite players NE has ever let walk

You must be new to football then, but in fairness, I should have said, 'let walk or traded!' Do some digging the list is long and distinguished. 

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

You must be new to football then, but in fairness, I should have said, 'let walk or traded!' Do some digging the list is long and distinguished. 

NE has never let a player of Bahks or Alexanders caliber just walk away. If anything, they've tried acquiring those types of players by throwing stupid money at good players like Stephon Gilmore, Matt Judon, and another guy from Baltimore who's name escapes me, or by trading for a guy like Revis. They've never let one of the leagues premier talents in his prime just walk away 

13 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Re-writing history here. Brady set up a contract to allow him to walk. They wanted him to stay, but he wanted out. Rodgers would have been dealt if he insisted this year too.  Are you really going to try and go after a team that won 7 Super Bowls over the past 2 decades? That is laughable and a really weak argument. 

FOR THE RECORD! My idea is not to allow any of them to walk without just compensation. That is a lie. 

Not going after anyone. You brought them up for some reason. They haven't shown to do whatever it is your claiming GB should do and let an elite talent in his 20s walk. The only guy i can even think of is JC Jackson, and i have a hard time calling him elite

1 minute ago, smetana34 said:

NE has never let a player of Bahks or Alexanders caliber just walk away. If anything, they've tried acquiring those types of players by throwing stupid money at good players like Stephon Gilmore, Matt Judon, and another guy from Baltimore who's name escapes me, or by trading for a guy like Revis. They've never let one of the leagues premier talents in his prime just walk away 

Richard Seymour? Chandler Jones? JC Jackson, Joe Thuney, Assante Samuel! LOL. The list goes on and on and on. Don't be lazy, do your own homework before coming on here touting falsehoods. 

16 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yes. They made the right call. The Patriots were not competing for a Super Bowl with Brady. That's a fact. They had a bad first round pick, they had no cap space after pushing contracts forward to get one last shot with Brady that didn't work out.

They would have gotten as far as the Championship round if Brady had come back. No further.

They let Brady go, and effectively got a head start on fixing things without him.

The Buccaneers got a franchise left tackle in the draft and had a LOT of built up high first round talent on their roster while also having deep pockets. That's why they won with Brady.

Yeah you're probably right, that NE roster was crap and still is crap. Blowing huge money on TEs and mediocre receivers just to try and get a little talent in there. And from what NE fans are claiming, that defense is in shambles too

31 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Yes, New England wasn't winning a Super Bowl with their current roster and needed to rebuild. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Richard Seymour? Chandler Jones? JC Jackson, Joe Thuney, Assante Samuel! LOL. The list goes on and on and on. Don't be lazy, do your own homework before coming on here touting falsehoods. 

Man come on. Richard Seymour? Traded at 30 and out of the league three years later. 

Chandler Jones? I may concede some ground here. He was a good player for them who really flourished once getting to Arizona. He wasn't elite in NE, and i doubt they trade him if he was. Whether it was scheme or time to develop, that we don't know

Joe Thuney? A Top 10ish player at a non-premium position. Nobody has advocated paying that. 

JC Jackson? Another good player, INTs are nice, but he's only been in PFFs Top 10 once. Alexander has lived there since entering the league, and was in the Top 5 last we watched him play. Jackson isn't elite

Asante Samuel? Again your confusing good with elite. He was a nice player for them and Philly, but was he ever even considered Top 5? Top 10? Not in a league with Bailey, Woodson, Revis, Winfield, or Asomugha. There was others (Leon Hall, Brandon Flowers, Webster) that he was in a group with. 

Nobody you mentioned was in the discussion for best at their position. Rodgers is, Bahk is, Alexander is. Elite players at premium positions. Those guys get paid. Good players, if they're asking for top money, get shown the door. That's how you avoid an expensive roster with no great players to show for it. That's essentially the list you just provided

6 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Man come on. Richard Seymour? Traded at 30 and out of the league three years later. 

Chandler Jones? I may concede some ground here. He was a good player for them who really flourished once getting to Arizona. He wasn't elite in NE, and i doubt they trade him if he was. Whether it was scheme or time to develop, that we don't know

Joe Thuney? A Top 10ish player at a non-premium position. Nobody has advocated paying that. 

JC Jackson? Another good player, INTs are nice, but he's only been in PFFs Top 10 once. Alexander has lived there since entering the league, and was in the Top 5 last we watched him play. Jackson isn't elite

Asante Samuel? Again your confusing good with elite. He was a nice player for them and Philly, but was he ever even considered Top 5? Top 10? Not in a league with Bailey, Woodson, Revis, Winfield, or Asomugha. There was others (Leon Hall, Brandon Flowers, Webster) that he was in a group with. 

Nobody you mentioned was in the discussion for best at their position. Rodgers is, Bahk is, Alexander is. Elite players at premium positions. Those guys get paid. Good players, if they're asking for top money, get shown the door. That's how you avoid an expensive roster with no great players to show for it. That's essentially the list you just provided

LOL! Richard Seymour was all-pro when they traded him. Like I said, you get rid of guys a contract too early not too late. 

I'll try one more time since you ignored it in an earlier post. How much is too much for you to pay Jaire before you either trade him or have him play this year before trading him? What is that point where you say it's too much. 

Edited by Old Guy

Just now, Old Guy said:

LOL! Richard Seymour was all-pro when they traded him. Like I said, you get rid of guys a contract too early not too late. 

I'll try one more time since you ignored it in an earlier post. How much is too much for you to pay Jaire before you either trade him or have him play this year before trading him? That is that point where you say it's too much. 

Last I'm speaking on Seymour: nobody ever said anything about paying aging stars. He was 30 when he was dealt. You pay players for what they're going to do, not what they've done, so no you don't hand a guy like that a new contract. And that isn't what anyone in this thread has said as were discussing a 25 year old elite CB. He has at least one contract worth of quality play left. 

If we get five weeks into the season and it's clear his shoulder isn't hindering him in coverage or in run support, i have no problem making him the highest paid CB. Now if he wants to rewrite the position like Arizona did with Hopkins, and give him like six or seven million more than the next highest player, you look to trade him. If he was undoubtedly the best corner, you entertain paying him what he wants. But he's not. He's in the mix with Ramsey and White, and his payday shouldn't be anything exponentially more than what the top earners are getting

14 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Last I'm speaking on Seymour: nobody ever said anything about paying aging stars. He was 30 when he was dealt. You pay players for what they're going to do, not what they've done, so no you don't hand a guy like that a new contract. And that isn't what anyone in this thread has said as were discussing a 25 year old elite CB. He has at least one contract worth of quality play left. 

If we get five weeks into the season and it's clear his shoulder isn't hindering him in coverage or in run support, i have no problem making him the highest paid CB. Now if he wants to rewrite the position like Arizona did with Hopkins, and give him like six or seven million more than the next highest player, you look to trade him. If he was undoubtedly the best corner, you entertain paying him what he wants. But he's not. He's in the mix with Ramsey and White, and his payday shouldn't be anything exponentially more than what the top earners are getting

1. You said the Patriots never moved on from elite players via trade or allowing them in free agency. I quickly pointed out four cases. Of course you want to change the narrative, you're wrong. 

2. Richard Seymour was the same age as Davante Adams. Both were 29 when traded. 

2. He played 4 more years with the Raiders and was damn good in 3 of those years.

3. They got a first round pick for him.

4. Now you want to wait on extending Jaire for 'five games' to see how his shoulder is. The Packers want to extend him NOW for cap relief short-term to ad a few pieces. Are you willing to pay him that money now? I see how you changed the narrative there. 

5. Finally, Ramsey got 20 a year. I was on board with paying him that. Howard is now at 25. That is a big jump. I'm not on board with that. You don't seem to want to put a number on when it's too much. Put on your big boy pants and state a number per year you are willing to give Jaire. 

Edited by Old Guy