Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

The money's there. The ***** is that they've not seen him play enough regular season games to commit long term without a ton of risk.

If he sucks - I dont think he will, but if...... - they've booked a loser for XYZ years - which is very un-Packer like. They'd have to be really, really confident of their coaching staffs appraisals to make such a jump at this point. 

It's hard for me to see a "Lamar-like" holdout from Love...even after just one year of playing time.  I mean....I guess he could really ball out this year....but I tend to doubt it.

5 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Ok so a one year extension.

This is a minor win-win for both sides. Love gets a little more cash versus the straight 5th year option, Packers eliminate the fully guaranteed money with the 5th year option. Minor stuff, but still positives all around. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, R T said:

This is a minor win-win for both sides. Love gets a little more cash versus the straight 5th year option, Packers eliminate the fully guaranteed money with the 5th year option. Minor stuff, but still positives all around. 

Yeah it seems like a lot of work to save a little bit of money. I can't foresee a scenario where Love isn't the starter in 2024, so the savings seem like a moot point

7 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Yeah it seems like a lot of work to save a little bit of money. I can't foresee a scenario where Love isn't the starter in 2024, so the savings seem like a moot point

Saves a lot on his cap hit next year though.

Ken Ignalls must be pissed that the Packers are cap-healthy next year. We've got a ton of cash for next season already. 

1 minute ago, Sandy said:

Saves a lot on his cap hit next year though.

Ken Ignalls must be pissed that the Packers are cap-healthy next year. We've got a ton of cash for next season already. 

Doesnt appear to be pissed that I can see...but I'm not the expert of Ken's emotional states around here :)

29 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

OK so cheaper than the 5th year if he sucks, more than the 5th year if he's good.

Wow! Either Jordan Love doesn't believe in himself or he's really into team friendly deals. How could his agent allow him to agree to this? Mindboggling. 

Just now, Old Guy said:

Wow! Either Jordan Love doesn't believe in himself or he's really into team friendly deals. How could his agent allow him to agree to this? Mindboggling. 

I kinda look at it the opposite way. Jordan love took $6M less in guaranteed money to potentially make $2.5M more. He might believe in himself so much he doesn't even care about guaranteed dollars, he knows he's earning the top end of the deal.

1 minute ago, pgwingman said:

I kinda look at it the opposite way. Jordan love took $6M less in guaranteed money to potentially make $2.5M more. He might believe in himself so much he doesn't even care about guaranteed dollars, he knows he's earning the top end of the deal.

Also - he gets that signing bonus now, and if he calls out then he's getting multi-year deal by October. He chillin.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Jordan gets a LOT more money in his pockets today (vs a year from now). He gets more money and he's betting on himself because he would make ever MORE, more overall if we want to keep him as our starter in 2024. 

He's placing a future $2mil bet on himself AND getting more of that money in his pocket today.

3 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

He didn't take anything less in guaranteed. It wasn't his option to exercise. He was currently unemployed in 2023. Now, he's going to have probably like $10+ extra million dollars today he didn't have yesterday. AND the possibility of $2.5 million more than the 5th ye option if he bets on himself.

Win/win for him

4 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

His base salary this year is 2.3 plus the 20.27 for the fifth-year option. He potentially makes nothing more and possibly 12 million less since he's only guaranteed 13.5. 

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

His base salary this year is 2.3 plus the 20.27 for the fifth-year option. He potentially makes nothing more and possibly 12 million less since he's only guaranteed 13.5. 

He's now guaranteed to make $10million more than he was yesterday. The option wasn't his choice to exercise