Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

He got real lucky on the drop by Johnson on the last drive in the LAC game, but overall, especially for a 7th round pick, he's been a steal thus far. 

While I agree with this, name a CB that hasn't benefitted from a WR dropping a pass when they were clearly beaten? 

If that is his only sin, I'll keep him around a while longer. 

The more I think about it, if Jaire and Stokes are back, I'm putting him on Kelce. He's got some dog in him and would not back down from the challenge. Kelce may box him out a few times, but this kid won't back down. He will make Kelce work all game long. 

Edited by Old Guy

9 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

He got real lucky on the drop by Johnson on the last drive in the LAC game, but overall, especially for a 7th round pick, he's been a steal thus far. 

It's funny. I posted a similar comment from Uglem before the DET game.....than in watching the game and the continual abuse Ballentine was taking...I wondered why Uglem was talking him up......

It was somewhere along the way that I realized we have both a Ballentine and a Valentine :)

9 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

While I agree with this, name a CB that hasn't benefitted from a WR dropping a pass when they were clearly beaten? 

The more I think about it, if Jaire and Stokes are back, I'm putting him on Kelce. He's got some dog in him and would not back down from the challenge. Kelce may box him out a few times, but this kid won't back down. He will make Kelce work all game long. 

Kelce has 5 inches and about 60 pounds on Valentine. He'd absolutely embarrass Valentine if that was the game plan. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ham Sammich said:

Kelce has 5 inches and about 60 pounds on Valentine. He'd absolutely embarrass Valentine if that was the game plan. 

That is like saying it would be silly to have Jrue Holliday cover Giannis. Oh wait, he did it and did it well.

Styles make fights. Valentine would do a good job on Kelce and I'm sticking with that until proven otherwise. If you match Kelce with size, he's wins with movement. 

27 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

You want Kelce zone covered. Quay in the flats and a S over the top. You can't put an outside CB on a guy who plays outside 1/4 of the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

You want Kelce zone covered. Quay in the flats and a S over the top. You can't put an outside CB on a guy who plays outside 1/4 of the time.

I think he eats zone's for lunch. I'd cover him like he's a basketball player. Man up on him with somebody (Quay?) who sticks to him like glue. Kelce's lost his quicks, so he's not gonna be outrunning anybody....but he's really good as sitting down in the soft spots in zones.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leader said:

I think he eats zone's for lunch. I'd cover him like he's a basketball player. Man up on him with somebody (Quay?) who sticks to him like glue. Kelce's lost his quicks, so he's not gonna be outrunning anybody....but he's really good as sitting down in the soft spots in zones.

That's fine, you zone cover him and you have multiple sets of eyes on him, you man cover him and you have one. He breaks that tackle (which he does all the time) you have a major problem on your hands.

Kelce will get his, let him, but don't let him kill you with explosives because you're tasking someone with the impossible job of shutting him out.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

That's fine, you zone cover him and you have multiple sets of eyes on him, you man coverage him and you have one. He breaks that tackle (which he does all the time) you have a major problem on your hands. Kelce will get his, let him, but don't let him kill you with explosives because you're tasking someone with the impossible job of shutting him out.

Understood....I just dont think we're all that good at zone coverages. Quay can move pretty good and he's got the size to at least be a pest versus Kelce's.

Perhaps its a "what part of the field are they on" situation. In the middle - where Kelce *may* attempt a rare seam route - stick with standard zone. Red Zone or closer.....sick Quay on him.

41 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm not expecting Valentine, or anybody else to single cover him all game. Whoever is assigned will need help or 'extra eyes,' on him. I prequalified this with the caveat that Stokes and Alexander are back. I'm aware he's a boundary CB, but let's get our best 3 CBs on the field, he's one of them. 

56 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

That's fine, you zone cover him and you have multiple sets of eyes on him, you man cover him and you have one. He breaks that tackle (which he does all the time) you have a major problem on your hands.

Kelce will get his, let him, but don't let him kill you with explosives because you're tasking someone with the impossible job of shutting him out.

Seemed like Philly played a lot more man on him. Byard followed him everywhere. Worked in the 2nd half. 

Zone is dangerous because Kelce is the smartest player on the field (other than Mahomes) at that point and if you're not getting instant pressure, he will eat us alive. Agree, he's going to get his either way, but you need to have a plan for him on 3rd downs so we can get off the field. 

7 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Here’s another steal

Yea it never made much sense why Brooks lasted that long. Sure, he played against MAC competition, but he was dominant doing so. I guess he didn't run well enough in shorts for teams to look at him until Day 3. 

Edited by packfanfb