The 2018 free agents: Extend? Let walk? Franchise?

Apparition

33 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Agreed. Can you believe he let Dola, Lewis AND Butler walk? These guys who leave for big money deals ALWAYS burn the Patriots. Just look at history!

The only one I'd feel uncomfortable walking is Solder; he may not be elite, but good left tackles like him don't grow on trees.

39 minutes ago, Elky said:

The only one I'd feel uncomfortable walking is Solder; he may not be elite, but good left tackles like him don't grow on trees.

Yeah, I’m hoping that the Pats’ lack of activity has to do with formulating a Solder contract.

Might be optimistic, though.

9 hours ago, Elky said:

I'm with you. I'm a little surprised Dola left (don't blame him, he's earned a pay day) but the guys leaving (Lewis, Butler), those were expected.

I'm in agreement with the majority...we got to try to keep Solder. But people have to understand other teams have a lot more money to play with than the Patriots. I'd be nervous if Solder left too, but to say ""Belichick should step down as GM" if he leaves is ridiculous.

The Patriots always let their guys do what's happening with Solder right now, i.e., test the market, get offers and then come back to us. If it's reasonable and they want the player to stay, they usually match; or make a competitive offer.

Edelman visited the Giants and San Fran (IIRC). McCourty was getting recruited by the Eagles. Hightower visited the Jets and was hearing from the Steelers. People have to understand Belichick and Caserio have a number/value for every single player. If they had no budget and threw money around like crazy, we wouldn't have been blessed with this historic run. I remember a few years ago, everyone, including the Boston media idiots like Felger and Mazz, started this whole "Cap is crap" theory. They wanted Belichick to spend money on all these big name guys like Denver and Elway. Look where the Broncos are now. 

Last point; Super Bowls aren't won in March. Goose fraba, folks.

51 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

If they had no budget and threw money around like crazy, we wouldn't have been blessed with this historic run.

So much this. Why has the team been so good for so long? There is no such thing as a "bad contract" on the Patriots roster. That's how you sustain in the cap era, be smart with your money. Most GM's dont and if they do, they get fired for missing on big names by inpatient owners. The system is designed for frugal spending and smart contracts but most owners/gm's want to win sooner than they natural can and it makes their windows short. 

Much rather have Honey Badger than Richards. (Sorry Jordan Richards.) I'd prefer Eric Reid to HB though. Methieu can still play a Patrick Chung role and thrive in the NFL but he isn't going to be great for much longer if at all, so I wiuld hope the Pats don't overpay him.

So far, I give this off-season an A.

+Danny Shelton (high character guy, valuable 3-4 lineman/nose tackle)  -2019 3rd

-Nate Solder (above average left tackle, wishy washy about playing long term) +2019 3rd

-Malcolm Butler (above average defensive back, disgruntled with Patriots) +2019 3rd

-Dion Lewis (great running back, concerning injury prone past) +2019 4th/5th

-Danny Amendola (clutch player, injury prone and without a consistent role) +2019 6th/7th

+Brandon Bolden (core special teamer, reported great teammate at RB position) -At or near veteran minimum contract

+Nate Ebner (consistent special teams player, athletic) -Small portion of Patriots cap space for two years possibly

What next? Ndamukong Suh, Eric Reid, Zach Line, Trent Murphy, Preston Brown, AJ McCarron... possibly...

Archived