New Coordinators(If Needed)

vikings209

10 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Unless you offer him something like Assistant HC/QB Coach. 

You’d have to admit that if he goes to NY he’s really only going to be an OC in title only.

... which pays more, and looks nicer on a resume, than QBC if Shurmur doesn't last long in NYC.

A coach’s pay is not dictated by their title. The team can pay any coach however much that they want. 

The Assistant HC title carries a lot of weight in the NFL. There’s a reason that the NFL doesn’t consider a coordinator job as a promotion from Assistant HC, and why many teams over the years have used the AHC title to keep a prominent position coach from jumping ship without permission. 

As for resume, success is the only thing that looks good on a resume. If Shurmur fails in NY, then so will have his coaches. At which point an OC title from a failed team won’t look nearly as good as a AHC/QBC title on a successful team. 

Not sure if it’s the sleep deprivation, or what, but I’ve been actually starting to wonder if Darrell Bevell hasn’t already accepted the QB coach job, and we’re just waiting to make a decision on the OC. 

I just find it incredibly odd that we have not heard anything regarding Bevell since his interview last Friday, not even any reports about him interviewing with another team. And that’s just odd for a coach with his resume, and who is no longer under contract. I would not think a coach of his stature would simply be waiting in limbo for the Vikings to make a decision. If the Vikings liked him, but wanted to also interview others, you’d think that Bevell would also have moved on to explore other options. 

Stefanski/DeFilippo as OC, the other likely in NY, and Bevell as QB coach. 

7 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

A coach’s pay is not dictated by their title. The team can pay any coach however much that they want. 

The Assistant HC title carries a lot of weight in the NFL. There’s a reason that the NFL doesn’t consider a coordinator job as a promotion from Assistant HC, and why many teams over the years have used the AHC title to keep a prominent position coach from jumping ship without permission. 

As for resume, success is the only thing that looks good on a resume. If Shurmur fails in NY, then so will have his coaches. At which point an OC title from a failed team won’t look nearly as good as a AHC/QBC title on a successful team. 

Wouldn't Stefanski only be the assistant head coach in title only too? Why would they give him the second-most say on the coaching staff if they weren't even confident enough in his abilities to hire him as OC?

Of course pay isn't dictated by your title. But why would someone take on more responsibility without getting compensated for it?

Who says he wouldn’t get compensated for it? 

Confidence as a coach and confidence as a coordinator are very different. A lot of different responsibilities go with each. Stefanski could be an incredible motivator, an incredible facilitator, and an incredible teacher, but a poor tactician. Three tremendous attributes for a coach, but one poor attribute for a coordinator. I don’t know, but just a potential example. 

Just now, SemperFeist said:

I just find it incredibly odd that we have not heard anything regarding Bevell since his interview last Friday, not even any reports about him interviewing with another team. And that’s just odd for a coach with his resume, and who is no longer under contract. I would not think a coach of his stature would simply be waiting in limbo for the Vikings to make a decision. If the Vikings liked him, but wanted to also interview others, you’d think that Bevell would also have moved on to explore other options. 

The whole OC market is at a stand-still. I think the only open jobs are Minnesota, New York and Indianapolis, and Indianapolis can't even make their HC hire official until next week.

22 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Correct.  Correct.  Your second statement, and simple economics of purchases of labor services justifies my point.

Could it be that the Vikings choice of a new OC will be based on the candidate who is more likely to replicate the Shurmur system?  Or, are the Vikings looking to interview more OC candidates that they know they won't hire, to gather ideas / opinions on the QB market, the OL, and their offensive free agents; e.g. McKinnon vs. Murray, Sirles, ... free agents - offense and defense, and collegiate prospects?  Nah!  Forget I ever raised the question.  So, if not, what's the real reason for the delay?

Archived