2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

No problem.  I didn't think he had bad tape at all.  I liked the tape.  It wasn't as good as some corners I saw, but I thought he used his length well.  But, as much as I liked the tape, I liked the combine numbers even better.  

But you watched King, Wood, just based on that tape, was he a top of round 2 kid, or more of a mid 2nd, early third?

I ask, because if I'm being honest with myself, I thought he was an end of round 2 kid on tape...but that combine told me that he had better physical traits than what I was seeing and that there was a better ceiling there.  That ceiling vaulted him up....again....going back to the combine altering some opinions of players.  Key word being "some".  

4 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Is anyone against taking another corner in the 1st? Obviously depending on how the board falls.

if he's the clear BVA I'd have no problem with it. We are, right now, only 2 deep. One is a 2nd year player who flashed some but is no guarantee. The other is a bit of a headcase who looked GREAT and AWFUL within half a season. Can't have too many good corners, like pass-rushers. In fact, if no pass-rusher is available at our pick in the first, my next top choice is a DB.

Nope, would not have a problem if we took a corner that was BPA in round one.  As long as we draft a DB/ER/S/T/DL/RB, I'll assume our staff knows what they're doing and that the player was the best value available.  Only positions that would make me kill something would be a first round WR/TE/C/G.  A QB would make me lose it, too, unless we planned on trading Rodgers once he hits 36. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Nope, would not have a problem if we took a corner that was BPA in round one.  As long as we draft a DB/ER/S/T/DL/RB, I'll assume our staff knows what they're doing and that the player was the best value available.  Only positions that would make me kill something would be a first round WR/TE/C/G.  A QB would make me lose it, too, unless we planned on trading Rodgers once he hits 36. 

stop trying to make this happen

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'm not saying there's a Gronk or Kelce in this draft -but IF you thought there was, you'd be against that guy in Rd1 as well? 

I'd take a bonafide stud TE in rd 1 pretty easily. Even at 15. He impacts every play (unlike a WR).

Just now, incognito_man said:

I'd take a bonafide stud TE in rd 1 pretty easily. Even at 15. He impacts every play (unlike a WR).

The point is that Gronkowski/Kelce/Reed.... All the best receiving tight ends were picked in the second round or later.  You get better value at WR and TE in the 2nd-7th rounds than you do in the first round.  Until there's a tight end drafted in the first round that turns out to have been worth that first round pick, I'm not taking one in the first round. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&draft=1&year_min=1920&year_max=2017&season_start=1&season_end=1&age_min=14&age_max=48&pos[]=te&draft_year_min=1936&draft_year_max=2017&draft_round_min=1&draft_round_max=1&draft_slot_min=1&draft_slot_max=500&draft_pick_in_round=pick_overall&conference=any&draft_pos[]=te&c5val=1.0&order_by=rec

I see like 2, maybe three that were worth it.  I believe trends are trends for a reason, and that's way too many failures for me. 

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

The point is that Gronkowski/Kelce/Reed.... All the best receiving tight ends were picked in the second round or later.  You get better value at WR and TE in the 2nd-7th rounds than you do in the first round.  Until there's a tight end drafted in the first round that turns out to have been worth that first round pick, I'm not taking one in the first round. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&draft=1&year_min=1920&year_max=2017&season_start=1&season_end=1&age_min=14&age_max=48&pos[]=te&draft_year_min=1936&draft_year_max=2017&draft_round_min=1&draft_round_max=1&draft_slot_min=1&draft_slot_max=500&draft_pick_in_round=pick_overall&conference=any&draft_pos[]=te&c5val=1.0&order_by=rec

I see like 2, maybe three that were worth it.  I believe trends are trends for a reason, and that's way too many failures for me. 

Gronk w/o the injury history or Kelce without the nose powder are 1st rounders though. If you get that skillset w/o the baggage I take him in the 1st all day. It just so happens those guys had other issues that made them be better value IMO.

Just now, incognito_man said:

Gronk w/o the injury history or Kelce without the nose powder are 1st rounders though. If you get that skillset w/o the baggage I take him in the 1st all day. It just so happens those guys had other issues that made them be better value IMO.

I really don't care.  Offense doesn't win Super Bowls.  If Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski had our defense over the past 3 years, they'd have the same amount of Super Bowls we do.  It's gotta be defense unless it's a 12 year tackle or a RB that we'd actually use. 

4 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I really don't care.  Offense doesn't win Super Bowls.  If Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski had our defense over the past 3 years, they'd have the same amount of Super Bowls we do.  It's gotta be defense unless it's a 12 year tackle or a RB that we'd actually use. 

I am not a WR in the early 1st person, don't really care about the end of the 1st. But it blows my mind that you are cool with drafting a RB but not a WR in the first

Just now, JBURGE25 said:

I am not a WR in the early 1st person, don't really care about the end of the 1st. But it blows my mind that you are cool with drafting a RB but not a WR in the first

For this team I guess you could say I'm not okay with it.  Just in general.  Only because first round running backs these days are the truly elite physical prospects.  It's been a long time since we've had that at RB.  Yeah, you're right though.  I'm not okay with it.  Not for this team.  We don't run often enough and Rodgers doesn't throw to them often enough.  I take it back. 

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

But you watched King, Wood, just based on that tape, was he a top of round 2 kid, or more of a mid 2nd, early third?

I had him as the 20th best prospect in the draft, and the bottom of my top 20 grades.  If he didn't have a strong combine, he would have probably sunk a grade or two so I thought he would have been a mid-2nd at worst.

1 hour ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Is anyone against taking another corner in the 1st? Obviously depending on how the board falls.

Absolutely not.  Really like Carlton Davis out of Auburn.  Probably not worth our natural 1st, but won't likely be there for our 2nd.

54 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

There's legitimately no reason to draft a RB.  If by some miracle Saquon Barkley is still available when the Packers pick, I hope they dangle him for a hoard of picks.

Just now, CWood21 said:

There's legitimately no reason to draft a RB.  If by some miracle Saquon Barkley is still available when the Packers pick, I hope they dangle him for a hoard of picks.

Yeah, I already modified my opinion on RB for this team. 

Archived