2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

And I'm saying it doesn't have to be considered until you can name a single time when a guard was ever worth a top 14 pick. 

Glad to see you have an opinion. I just did. An all pro guard. 

Just now, OneTwoSixFive said:

See Iupati, for how that happens in the real world.

49ers couldn't/wouldn't hang onto him for his second contract.

Yes, exactly.  I think you brought that up before and it needs to be repeated.  A lot.  And often.  Zack Martin's contract is up after this year.  Cowboys gonna be able to keep him?  If not, he wasn't worth a top 16 pick.  Period. 

First round picks are 10 year investments.  I don't care how good they are, if you only keep them for five years, they weren't the right pick, and they weren't a good pick.  Period.  End of discussion.  Simple.  Elementary. 

Just now, packfanfb said:

Glad to see you have an opinion. I just did. An all pro guard. 

Find a single guard in the history of the NFL that was worth a top 14 pick.  I'll make it easy for you: 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi

Note: I am going to post this exact same post every single time someone brings up Nelson until ANYBODY can find one example.  Every.  Single.  Time. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Then find one.  If you can't find one from before 1970... You'll never find one, and Nelson won't be one. 

You seem passionate about this. You should write a book and try to get an exclusive with Mel Kiper on why drafting guards in the top 15 should never be done. 

For me, I could care less what the history is, or what other teams have done.

We are in the top half of the round for the first time in forever. Unless the first 13 picks are on defense, you have to come away with a defensive talent that moves the needle on that side of the ball

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

You seem passionate about this. You should write a book and try to get an exclusive with Mel Kiper on why drafting guards in the top 15 should never be done. 

I would actually read this.

Just now, packfanfb said:

Find a single guard in the history of the NFL that was worth a top 14 pick.  I'll make it easy for you: 

Note: I am going to post this exact same post every single time someone brings up Nelson until ANYBODY can find one example.  Every.  Single.  Time. 

5 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Just read Daintrain's mock...........first pick, guard Nelson.

Pick Nelson, when any of Ferrell, Landry, Key, Ridley, Sutton might be there.....hmmmm.

27 minutes ago, MNPackfan32 said:

And do any of these guys take an average/below average defense to an above average/great defense? Maybe Kuechly? Maybe? Not enough impact from ILB, plus Blake is good enough.

Thats why I would like to see a 4-3 move and play Roquan at OLB. 

5 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Yes, exactly.  I think you brought that up before and it needs to be repeated.  A lot.  And often.  Zack Martin's contract is up after this year.  Cowboys gonna be able to keep him?  If not, he wasn't worth a top 16 pick.  Period. 

First round picks are 10 year investments.  I don't care how good they are, if you only keep them for five years, they weren't the right pick, and they weren't a good pick.  Period.  End of discussion.  Simple.  Elementary. 

The most important value is what you get out of said player on his rookie contract. 

If you get 5 years of plus value and a 3rd round comp, that's a great pick.

Just now, skibrett15 said:

clear opportunity for GB to trade down 5-10 spots if a QB prospect is on the board and get a slew of extra picks to help fill out our new defense.

I'm actually not opposed to this if three pass rushers are gone by 14 and if we take that Ohio State guy with whatever first round pick we trade down to. 

Just now, OneTwoSixFive said:

Just read Daintrain's mock...........first pick, guard Nelson.

Pick Nelson when any of Ferrell, Landry, Key, Ridley, Sutton might be there.....hmmmm.

You just can't. Your team doesn't get better because your weakest link (defense) gets you killed every single week

Just now, Packerraymond said:

The most important value is what you get out of said player on his rookie contract. 

If you get 5 years of plus value and a 3rd round comp, that's a great pick.

Maybe.  If you haven't managed to find all-pro guards in the 4th round and the position this happens with isn't guard.  Otherwise, nope, it's not a great pick. 

Nelson is not the best guard prospect in NFL history.  Remember the last "can't miss" prospect at guard?  I do.  His name was Jonathan Cooper. 

Archived