Offseason news/rumours

KimuraGod

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Vacchiano should be fired for writing this. Shows how little he knows about football.

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/re-signing-wesley-johnson-can-help-jets-pitch-to-kirk-cousins/266875254

That is good article. WTF did you talk about?    49ers signed one of the worst C to an extension so should we call Kyle Shanahan a moron?

18 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

That is good article. WTF did you talk about?    49ers signed one of the worst C to an extension so should we call Kyle Shanahan a moron?

The main part I was looking at was that he's all for resigning Johnson (who was one of the worst OLineman in the NFL last year) and he even took it a step further and said we should use him to try and get Cousins. Really? Use one of the worst OLineman in the NFL as a selling point to get the best FA available? Ya no way. I'd use Harrison to try and get him here before I'd go to the table with Johnson.

23 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Vacchiano should be fired for writing this. Shows how little he knows about football.

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/re-signing-wesley-johnson-can-help-jets-pitch-to-kirk-cousins/266875254

He bashed PFF stats but didn't give a reason how OL play is much more than what PFF says it is. He did say that Morton's offense made them look worse because he abandoned the run. Johnson at $4 mil is not a bargain. It just isn't. That would be comparable to the Ijalana deal. 

Continuity for the sake continuity isn't good. One good point he made is we shouldn't over spend on Jensen and Richburg. I can get behind that, not because of Johnson, but because this draft is deep at center. 

Trying to make sense of the minimum salary cap spend. I think this was brought up a few times and I didn't see a response. So, figured I would take a shot at it.

As I understand it, each team has to spend at least 89% of the salary cap over a 4 year period. If this is correct, the minimum the Jets need to spend in 2018 is $129 million assuming the salary cap is set at $178 million. See below for my analysis

2015             2016                  2017                 2018                Average

Cap Spend             $153M          $159M             $145M              $129M             $147M

Salary Cap              $156M          $158M             $167M             $178M              $165M

% of Cap                  98%               101%                 87%                   73%                   89%

So, $129 million is the minimum we will have to spend this year. But that doesn't mean it's the prudent thing to do. Since we were below the 89% mark in 2017, if we have another year below 89%, we could be put in a situation where we are forced to spend money on players we don't want. 

FYI - I used sportac salary cap spend numbers and adjusted salary cap. They factor in prior year roll-over to calculate adjusted salary cap.

Edit: Not sure if it makes sense to use the adjusted salary cap or just the actual salary cap. But if I were to use the actual salary cap in my analysis, the minimum spend would be $131 million. So, not much different. 

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I would be all for Bryant, But don’t we already have Bryant? A tall lanky deep threat with off the field issues in Robby? That’s why I say no to Bryant.

I was literally going to say the exact same thing. We already have a Martavis Bryant, his name is Robby Anderson.

7 hours ago, SDotNova said:

Trying to make sense of the minimum salary cap spend. I think this was brought up a few times and I didn't see a response. So, figured I would take a shot at it.

As I understand it, each team has to spend at least 89% of the salary cap over a 4 year period. If this is correct, the minimum the Jets need to spend in 2018 is $129 million assuming the salary cap is set at $178 million. See below for my analysis

2015             2016                  2017                 2018                Average

Cap Spend             $153M          $159M             $145M              $129M             $147M

Salary Cap              $156M          $158M             $167M             $178M              $165M

% of Cap                  98%               101%                 87%                   73%                   89%

So, $129 million is the minimum we will have to spend this year. But that doesn't mean it's the prudent thing to do. Since we were below the 89% mark in 2017, if we have another year below 89%, we could be put in a situation where we are forced to spend money on players we don't want. 

FYI - I used sportac salary cap spend numbers and adjusted salary cap. They factor in prior year roll-over to calculate adjusted salary cap.

Edit: Not sure if it makes sense to use the adjusted salary cap or just the actual salary cap. But if I were to use the actual salary cap in my analysis, the minimum spend would be $131 million. So, not much different. 

Adjusted salary cap includes carryover so no.   Only hard salary cap that is distributed to each team by league's net money or whatever it is. 

The purpose of having rollover is to improve cash spending without eating up cap room of hard salary cap.

These 2015 and 2016 were heavy make up for Idzik's conservative 2014.    2017-2020 is the current 4 year period.  It is good idea to manage 86-88 percentage of cash spending annually.   Signing Cousins alone will do the trick. 

8 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

The main part I was looking at was that he's all for resigning Johnson (who was one of the worst OLineman in the NFL last year) and he even took it a step further and said we should use him to try and get Cousins. Really? Use one of the worst OLineman in the NFL as a selling point to get the best FA available? Ya no way. I'd use Harrison to try and get him here before I'd go to the table with Johnson.

McCown would have 3500k passing yards and RB reached 1700 rushing yards with that crappy OL.  12m on C and 15m on G, generally, will improve the numbers by what?  4k passing yards?  2000 rushing yards?  Not necessarily.   Shave down on C and G by 8m per will improve the Cousins sweepstake.

That is all about practicing to spend right amount of money for the team.  Many times in NFL history, IOL player made switch teams and sucked due to a lack of chemistry or coaching or complacement (richer contract).  He suggested to upgrade better skill players such as edge and WR to among with Cousins instead of OL.

The missing point in that article is Jets don't plan to make expensive upgrades at WR and RB. If Jets go that way then OL and Cousins for all money he refered to. 

10 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Johnson: “Come here to play Kirk, you will get knocked the **** out most dropbacks as the NT will run me over”.

Cousins: “Sounds good, where do I sign?”

I imagine this guy thinks it would go down like that?! I’d put more faith in Fireman Ed recruiting Kirk than a horribly poor centre with no name recognition in the league. Cousins will think he is a steward for gods sake. 

Not interested in Cousins' johnson. Thank you.

Falcons have a several choice to be made on Andy Levitre.   He was "down" last year but I am not sure how much difference between him and Josh Sitton, performance-wise.  Levitre had experienced with Kyle Shanahan's blocking assignment so he could be more beneficial to Bates than Sitton.  Both will be 32 years old.   Bears cleared off 8m by waiving Sitton and Falcons could clear off 7m by releasing Levitre. 

Install 2 32 year old Guards in OL for the price of one young and elite G?  That would be against Maccagnan's progression of young roster.  Basically, Jets will have more options to upgrade IOL if they welcome 30+ years old player for short term.

22 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Not interested in Cousins' johnson. Thank you.

Falcons have a several choice to be made on Andy Levitre.   He was "down" last year but I am not sure how much difference between him and Josh Sitton, performance-wise.  Levitre had experienced with Kyle Shanahan's blocking assignment so he could be more beneficial to Bates than Sitton.  Both will be 32 years old.   Bears cleared off 8m by waiving Sitton and Falcons could clear off 7m by releasing Levitre. 

Install 2 32 year old Guards in OL for the price of one young and elite G?  That would be against Maccagnan's progression of young roster.  Basically, Jets will have more options to upgrade IOL if they welcome 30+ years old player for short term.

I actually think Carpenter and Winters play will increase if we just got a very good C. Carpenter has a cuttable contract and doesn’t exactly fit a ZBS. But I wouldn’t hate it if we kept him and winters if we upgraded at C

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I actually think Carpenter and Winters play will increase if we just got a very good C. Carpenter has a cuttable contract and doesn’t exactly fit a ZBS. But I wouldn’t hate it if we kept him and winters if we upgraded at C

Johnson was solid in 2016 replacing Mangold. Then OL played under Morton and all IOL sucked last year.   Now, Jets have new OC and a competent OL coach for 2018 so it is possible for IOL to be improved.

Since Johnson is UFA now, Jets should look around for better talent and price instead of hurrying up and seal the deal with him.

35 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Carp will likely only get worse.  Morton incorporate some zone last year and he struggled mightily and as you mentioned, he's awful in a ZBS.

14 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Adjusted salary cap includes carryover so no.   Only hard salary cap that is distributed to each team by league's net money or whatever it is. 

The purpose of having rollover is to improve cash spending without eating up cap room of hard salary cap.

These 2015 and 2016 were heavy make up for Idzik's conservative 2014.    2017-2020 is the current 4 year period.  It is good idea to manage 86-88 percentage of cash spending annually.   Signing Cousins alone will do the trick. 

Thanks for clarifying. So, it's not a rolling 4 years. Good to know. I agree with you on the target. I think the Jets will target that 86-90% range this year. Seems like a good strategy that will continue to allow us to pay our own guys as well as add a free agent or two each year. 

Archived