Offseason news/rumours

KimuraGod

29 minutes ago, Akomplice said:

If we don't splurge on a QB, I'd be totally fine with signing Richburg AND Norwell. The money isn't going to spend itself, might as well invest it in positions of need. Throw in one of the top corners and it isn't sexy, but it would be an effective free agency.

Richburg, Norwell, an outside CB and a slot CB (after cutting Skrine) is a great FA period.  And honestly we would have tons of money to spare.  If an offensive weapon comes available in FA we'd still have the money to make the move for an A-Rob or someone like that.

I truly believe if we sign a good quality Center like Richburg or Jensen we wouldn't need to replace Winters/Carpenter they're still good centers but they need a better center then Wes was in the middle.... That being said I would still draft another interior lineman to develop I just wouldn't sign another one except for 1 center

On the CB front with the reported mutual interest with Butler and the Jets I hope this isn't to be a #1 corner because that he is not... I'm still looking to sign another corner whether it's bringing back Claiborne or signing Johnson or Colvin and have Butler as a #2.... Also I really hope they cut Skrine I can't go another season watching him get burned or commit penalties all game

On QB is we lose out Cousins would anyone be upset if we signed Bridgewater? And draft maybe a Rudolph or one of the other QBs not in the big 4 in the later rounds? I feel Teddy would be a cheaper prove it deal and he was starting to look good before the injury and he would be very motivated I think it makes more sense then bringing McCown back which I also wouldn't hate just like this move better

19 hours ago, xenajets said:

Yeah that’s true. Although if you add up all the players from just one set of leagues in soccer from just one country you will be surprised just how many players there are. 

E.g. In English soccer there are four main leagues starting from the PL down to league two. Now there will probably be anywhere from 20-30 in a squad with countless others in reserves/youth teams. Even just averaging it at 25 per team and 92 teams that’s 2300 players. Just in English football. 

The NFL has 32 teams X 53 players so that’s 1696. 

I just can’t understand why it’s so bad. I have never had any concern heading into an offseason watching Man Utd all these years that one or more of the players will get arrested etc. They go on holiday and that seems to be it. Yet it seems a certainty that it will happen at least once per team in the NFL. We’ve had two arrested and it’s only February!!!!! 

Maybe your right about the backgrounds or cultures. The one player I remember from Man Utd who had all the talent but didn’t make it was a guy called Ravel Morrison who was just unreal. Yet after constant problems with his ‘friends’ from his neighbourhood he was sold on and now plays in Mexico or somewhere like that. Could of been on £200k a week playing in front of 80k fans every week and instead he blew it. 

It infurites me but is also very interesting. Why these guys can’t sort their **** out and make a ton of money and never have a care in the world again I have no idea! 

Yea I guess I wanted to compare American athletics because generally speaking most of the atheletes are from American cities. To the point you just made I think the mentality in the NFL is "I want to hurt you" where as Soccer seems to be "I want to finesse my way to a goal". This is purely conjecture on my part of course I could be totally wrong.

10 hours ago, rampantjet said:

Richburg, Norwell, an outside CB and a slot CB (after cutting Skrine) is a great FA period.  And honestly we would have tons of money to spare.  If an offensive weapon comes available in FA we'd still have the money to make the move for an A-Rob or someone like that.

I'd be just fine with Pugh/Jensen/Gaines/Fuller/Matthews/Burton

We sure up the OL, add two weapons for depth at WR/TE and sure up the secondary.  Any young QB will be sliding into a nice situation with a solid OL, plenty of weapons and a solid defense.  Use the rest of the picks to add a RB and pass rusher and we should be in great position long term as long as the QB plays to their potential.

1 hour ago, imaiden6669 said:

I truly believe if we sign a good quality Center like Richburg or Jensen we wouldn't need to replace Winters/Carpenter they're still good centers but they need a better center then Wes was in the middle.... That being said I would still draft another interior lineman to develop I just wouldn't sign another one except for 1 center

Carpenter has never played well in a Zone Blocking scheme(was horrible in it in Seattle) which we started to incorporate last year and are shifting to completely this year and Winters hasn't played up to his contract due to his inconsistent play and injury. Rather move on from these 2 a make the OL a strength again rather than hope that they play a little better because of an upgraded Center 

On the CB front with the reported mutual interest with Butler and the Jets I hope this isn't to be a #1 corner because that he is not... I'm still looking to sign another corner whether it's bringing back Claiborne or signing Johnson or Colvin and have Butler as a #2.... Also I really hope they cut Skrine I can't go another season watching him get burned or commit penalties all game

On QB is we lose out Cousins would anyone be upset if we signed Bridgewater? And draft maybe a Rudolph or one of the other QBs not in the big 4 in the later rounds? I feel Teddy would be a cheaper prove it deal and he was starting to look good before the injury and he would be very motivated I think it makes more sense then bringing McCown back which I also wouldn't hate just like this move better

Nothing wrong with adding Teddy but if he doesn't bounce back to 100% and the mid round QB is exactly that a mid round below average QB we are exactly where we are today 1-year from now.  Not something I'm willing to risk and neither should a HC/GM on the hot seat.

There are two options. 
1. Sign Cousins
2. Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Jackson

Anything but those 5 QB's on the roster next year and it's a big fail.

1 minute ago, Dr.O said:

Carpenter has never played well in a Zone Blocking scheme(was horrible in it in Seattle) which we started to incorporate last year and are shifting to completely this year and Winters hasn't played up to his contract due to his inconsistent play and injury. Rather move on from these 2 a make the OL a strength again rather than hope that they play a little better because of an upgraded Center 

Winters isn't going anywhere contract prohibits that.  Carp is gone but only if we add a LG like Norwell or Pugh.  Doubt they cut Carp without a plan in place. 

5 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

I see your Carp point but if Winters can stay healthy I don't think he is a problem

19 hours ago, doumeyer said:

If we get a young QB in the draft I sure have no problem with him holding a clip board for a year. As long as it is one of the top  four QB's in the draft.

I agree but it can't be a full red shirt year especially if we fall out of the playoffs.  If it's a couple of games it's fine if it's the full season then something is wrong.

I don't like any situation where we get a QB in FA that prevents us from taking a QB in round 1 (outside of Cousins which I believe is a special situation). The reason for that is 2nd round QBs rarely work out and generally as a rule of thumb, franchise QBs don't hit FA without major issues. That's not to say a top 6 pick QB can't flame out just as bad. I just think a 1st round pick especially one in the top 10 is a statement pick and you are clearly defining the course you want the franchise to take and you usually are going to give that pick a longer leash from a development standpoint.

21 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Random, but I have a bad feeling that Darnold will go one, Allen will go two, Mac will stay put, the Phins will trade up to 4 to grab Rosen, Elway will grab Mayfield, and Mac will sit their at 6 and pass on Lamar.

He's tried to trade up in the past for Watson last year and the Fins OT they took what two years back who smoked weed before the draft.  The name escapes me at the moment but he wanted to trade up for him. 

I would guess he gets aggressive for Jackson like 2nd round, future 1st and another pick type stuff to get back into the top 20 for him.  Would hate to be in that pressure situation though.

I would take Jackson at 6 (I think he's that type of prospect) but I could see Mac going Pass Rusher or Nelson and trading up.

Just now, Rockice_8 said:

He's tried to trade up in the past for Watson last year and the Fins OT they took last year who smoked weed before the draft.  The name escapes me at the moment. 

I would guess he gets aggressive for Jackson like future 1st stuff to get back into the top 20 for him.  Would hate to be in that pressure situation though.

I would take Jackson at 6 (I think he's that type of prospect) but I could see Mac going Pass Rusher or Nelson and trading up.

Yeah, I'd take Jackson too.  Honestly, they only guy I don't want from the top 5 is Allen.

51 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Winters isn't going anywhere contract prohibits that.  Carp is gone but only if we add a LG like Norwell or Pugh.  Doubt they cut Carp without a plan in place. 

Winters is definitely gonna be on the roster but I'm coming more from the mind set of finding his replacement/competition and dumping him next year

Archived