EZEKIEL ANSAH - NFL.COM's TOP 25 FA'S OF 2018

Karnage84

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000905368/article/2018-nfl-free-agency-quarterbacks-head-top-available-players?campaign=fb-nf-sf178948476-sf178948476&sf178948476=1

ANS059326.png%3Acover()&w=120&h=120DET.png
Ezekiel Ansah DE Lions
He would have been better off hitting free agency before two injury-plagued years, but Ansah is still a strong every-down starter at a position with few quality options in free agency.

For a guy that many of us are unsure of here, he's getting a lot of buzz already this off-season. There is no way that we don't bring him back on the Franchise Tag. He's going to want top dollar with an uneven level of production.

I feel like re-signing Ansah in any capacity means we would be sticking with the 4-3.

I firmly believe that hiring Matt Patricia (and I'm assuming we will) would mean we would be switching to the 3-4... especially with our current lack of talent along the line and at linebacker. 

Currently, we've got a blank slate. I expect that Patricia will want to build our defensive front to fit his own scheme.

I don't expect Ansah to be back. 

Lions017 said this in another thread;

Ansah is a great player to use that franchise tag on. The team clearly needs help with the D-Line, but he's too risky to give a long big-money deal to. Tag him for a year, get some help/develop some talent, and see how he fits in with the new defense. 

I think that's the only reason you'd bring him back.

9 hours ago, Superduperman said:

If they're trying to build Patriots 2.0, don't be surprised if they let him walk

Nothing surprises me anymore.

i would be frustrated if they let Ansah walk because of scheme change. When healthy he’s far to athletic to think he can’t be of use in any scheme.

$$$$ to sign him could be an issue.

I fully expect us to tag him for leverage. You can withdraw the tag, find a team for a trade, let him play on a one year deal and see what happens. If he has a great season, I would expect he'd be looking for 12-14 a year and we'd likely lose him. At the same time it gives us a chance and we can bring in some guys to develop behind him.

Archived