The Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

On another note, I'd absolutely love it if Teddy Bridgewater's starting market didn't really materialize and we could get him as a backup. I've loved that guy since he came out, and he's a guy that I actually believe could take us on a run if God forbid Marcus got hurt for an extended period of time.

11 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

On another note, I'd absolutely love it if Teddy Bridgewater's starting market didn't really materialize and we could get him as a backup. I've loved that guy since he came out, and he's a guy that I actually believe could take us on a run if God forbid Marcus got hurt for an extended period of time.

Agreed I’m home playing COD with a buddy and I just said the same thing

12 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

I never got on the Teddy Hype train. Cool dude, but never in love with his play. With him pretty being out the game for 2 years, that make me less desirable to me. But wouldn't hate him being here. Would like it actually.

But not hype on him.

14 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

Its sweet that you're that so concerned about saving billionaires a few bucks.

It has nothing to do with saving billionaires a few bucks. It has to do with Sammy Watkins production on the field vs what he's actually worth. 16 Million a year is elite WR money. If you think Watkins is worth that based off of what he's shown so far in the league you're crazy.

33 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

It has nothing to do with saving billionaires a few bucks. It has to do with Sammy Watkins production on the field vs what he's actually worth. 16 Million a year is elite WR money. If you think Watkins is worth that based off of what he's shown so far in the league you're crazy.

The market for an "elite WR" is probably going to go up closer to $18-20M once one of them comes up for a new deal (unless Odell keeps his act up...). So that means that next tier will be right where Watkins landed. The franchise tag for a WR this year is $16M. If Jarvis Landry can make that, so can Watkins and quite a few others.

5 minutes ago, VY said:

The market for an "elite WR" is probably going to go up closer to $18-20M once one of them comes up for a new deal (unless Odell keeps his act up...). So that means that next tier will be right where Watkins landed. The franchise tag for a WR this year is $16M. If Jarvis Landry can make that, so can Watkins and quite a few others.

I get that. I just don't necessarily believe that Watkins is in that tier of guys.  Could he be? Maybe, but he hasn't shown it yet. His inconsistencies as a player combined with his injury concerns and his inability to put up consistent numbers in one of the most high powered offenses in the league last year with one of if not the brightest young offensive minds in the league has me thinking there's no way he's worth that price tag. Right now he's still living off of that former first round pick status with loads of potential, but he hasn't really put it together in the league yet. Good for him for cashing in, but I'm glad we didn't pay him that type of money.

1 hour ago, SerenityNow said:

Guess who thinks he's worth it? The team that signed him... and the handful of teams that were also pursuing him and drove the price up to 16 mil. 

Why do people hold onto this false narrative that a player is worth what he produces? That's not how free agency works or free markets in general. A player is worth what a team is willing to pay him. Its supply vs demand more so than merit based. 

7 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

Guess who thinks he's worth it? The team that signed him... and the handful of teams that were also pursuing him and drove the price up to 16 mil. 

Why do people hold onto this false narrative that a player is worth what he produces? That's not how free agency works or free markets in general. A player is worth what a team is willing to pay him. Its supply vs demand more so than merit based. 

yeah Free Agency is not about production really. It's about I like you as a player and I have to pay you to come to my team. It's recruiting with money. Well I guess it's just recruiting if you read the news now a days.  Recruiting with a bigger budget. lol

Norwell isn't the best OG in the game. He is just the guy people wanted the most at the time.

Just like whoever we sign and give him a good signing bonus that is more that all of Maritoa's contract isn't the best player on the team. He is just available at the right time.

19 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

Why do people hold onto this false narrative that a player is worth what he produces? That's not how free agency works or free markets in general. A player is worth what a team is willing to pay him. Its supply vs demand, not merit based. 

And I’d be out on him at 16 mil. I’m not going to throw blind money at an average player just because other teams are willing to do it. I’d have my value on the player and what I think he’s worth and wouldn’t want to go too far above that. I don’t need a lesson from you on how free agency works. I’m well aware that guys get overpaid based on the market of their position, but merit still plays a role to me. I’m not paying big time money for a guy that hasn’t proven he’s worth it on the field. That’s just a silly investment to me. 

Like I said earlier, all of Watkins’ value is based off of his potential and his former first round pick status. Good for him for cashing in, but I wouldn’t have been paying 16 mil per for a guy that I haven’t seen produce on a consistent level.

Archived