The Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

39 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

And in literally every other scenario Henne is the better option. Backup QBs have a job besides waiting to play. 

Even then I don't feel too good about Kaepernick. In all likelihood we lose either way.

Dude, the only scenario that matters is "can this guy help us win football games". By every account Kaepernick has been well-liked in the lockerroom. Lord knows he has life experience that a lot of young QB's could learn from. He's played in a Super Bowl. You can't tell me he isn't better than 95% of the backups in the league right now. In a pinch, with a solid cast around him, he gives you a shot. More than Henne or any other chump we've had at #2 in ages. 

21 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

As for this. Any lost revenue from ticket sales will undoubtedly be canceled out by merchandise sales. The second he were to sign elsewhere (which yeah, he never will), he will immediately become tops in jersey sales across the league. Any fans that we lose for trying to field a competent backup quarterback behind our starting QB that has struggled to say healthy, probably weren't real fans to begin with.

To add to that, more than 50% of a team's revenue comes from national TV contracts - team's are making $250M+ annually (and growing) on the national TV deals. That's over triple what they make on ticket sales (in most cases, based on averages). Any lost butts in seats for someone making a silly stand about Kaepernick will be more than covered if it's a winning team in a thriving market, which Nashville certainly is. Ticket sales are becoming less and less important as TV deals grow and the NFL sends teams to other markets to test viability. This should be a football decision, but all these billionaires are too cowardly to do it for fear of an outburst of a vocal if not misled subset of fans. 

2 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

If not for his atrocious penalty grade, Suh would have been PFF's #3 DT/NT, FWIW. Was #7 even with it.

q5dcACl.png

His yearly grades:

4hA3LqK.png

Even with that terrible penalty grade, would have been our highest graded defensive player last year:

iCNevoo.png

He would be a massive addition to that defense. While I'd still like to add a third OLB, combining an improved secondary with three quality corners and one young and impressive free safety with a pass rush featuring Casey, Suh, Orakpo and Morgan would give Vrabel and Pees a ton to work with. I doubt it happens (if he's straight up going to the highest bidder, I can't imagine it will be us), but man, that defense could be fun to watch. 

13 minutes ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Suh is my biggest want right now. Him up the middle with Casey and Jones beside him would be a lot of fun. 

If the Titans choose not to sign him I understand why because he is a knuckle head on the field but I would love to take that chance 

We'll see how it pans out, but something about Vrabel leads me to believe he can relate/reach the knucklehead types. Mularkey did a good job starting the culture in the lockerroom, and I feel like Vrabel can continue that. Not sure how much gas in the tank Suh has left, but I highly doubt anyone else in the AFC South wants to see him in Nashville.

Just now, VY said:

We'll see how it pans out, but something about Vrabel leads me to believe he can relate/reach the knucklehead types. Mularkey did a good job starting the culture in the lockerroom, and I feel like Vrabel can continue that. Not sure how much gas in the tank Suh has left, but I highly doubt anyone else in the AFC South wants to see him in Nashville.

Yeah, from all reports, Butler and especially Lewis are high character signings. I'm just not all that worried about a single player negatively effecting morale, especially since, for all his stupid penalties, I don't think I've ever read anything about him having a real attitude problem or issues in the locker room with teammates.

6 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Might also be worth noting Terrell Williams our DL coach coached Suh for the past 3 years in Miami, so might be a positive if Suh liked his experience under him.

Even when I made a post talking about how I'd be interested in him, I really didn't think we'd pursue it. I'm definitely intrigued by the idea. Getting Suh, Butler and Lewis while resigning Kline and Daquan would be a pretty solid offseason. Find an inside backer in the draft and I'd be pretty optimistic about the direction of the team heading into next year (even with my lack of enthusiasm for our receiver situation after the top two).

21 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Even when I made a post talking about how I'd be interested in him, I really didn't think we'd pursue it. I'm definitely intrigued by the idea. Getting Suh, Butler and Lewis while resigning Kline and Daquan would be a pretty solid offseason. Find an inside backer in the draft and I'd be pretty optimistic about the direction of the team heading into next year (even with my lack of enthusiasm for our receiver situation after the top two).

The way we are attacking FA is setting us up perfectly for the draft. The only major needs are ILB and OLB. Interior o-line can survive as is, but some depth or challengers needed. Either OLB or ILB in the 1st and BPA - truly any position, BPA - the rest of the way. Allows for us to find guys that can develop the next 2-3 years while the current roster delivers.

1 hour ago, titans0021 said:

Beyond all of that, I think people vastly overstate the role of a backup quarterback in practice and in games. First, what leads us to the belief that Chad Henne or Matt Cassel or T.J. Yates are smarter football players than Colin Kaepernick? It's certainly not on-field results. What is to make me believe that the guy with a career touchdown to interception ratio of better than 2:1, a career passer rating of 90 and a career YPA of 7.3, would be less helpful in the film room than the pure trash quarterbacks that get talked about as potential backup options? 

All we get is that Kaep doesn't strike people as a "student of the game," while what, guys like Chad Henne do? Why? If I look at the two players overall body of work, nothing points me in that direction. Hell, all I've read is that Kaep has been working out and studying the game every day that he's been out of the league, despite knowing that the odds of him getting another shot are virtually zero.

As for this. Any lost revenue from ticket sales will undoubtedly be canceled out by merchandise sales. The second he were to sign elsewhere (which yeah, he never will), he will immediately become tops in jersey sales across the league and the team he signs with with get an influx of fans from across the country. Any fans that we lose for trying to field a competent backup quarterback behind our starting QB that has struggled to say healthy, probably weren't real fans to begin with.

What leads me to think that is the fact that despite having limited to no on field success, coaches still keep bringing them around. Its the same reason that Jim Sorgi was Peyton's backup for years despite not being an NFL calibur QB. This is the conclusion I've come up with watching this phenomenon for far longer than its applied to Kaep. Keeping aging veterens with suspect play around as backups is not new trend. 

Football smarts doesn't have to translate to on field production. Jim Bob Cooter was a bad QB, he's a good OC. Frank Reich wasn't a great QB, he's a great offensive mind. Not to say that these guys will all be coaches one day, but you're wrong if you don't think that plays a role in choosing a back up. The back up typically helps prepare the starter with game prep, he's scout team QB, and coaches love the experience factor.

Look there's a difference between whether he'll be good or whether he deserves a shot. I do think he's being blackballed, I do think he deserves a shot. I just don't think he's that good. I could be wrong, but that's my opinion, I think people see the similarities in mobility and assume they're similar players, and therefore can run the same offense. I don't co-sign to that. 

6 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

What leads me to think that is the fact that despite having limited to no on field success, coaches still keep bringing them around. Its the same reason that Jim Sorgi was Peyton's backup for years despite not being an NFL calibur QB. This is the conclusion I've come up with watching this phenomenon for far longer than its applied to Kaep. Keeping aging veterens with suspect play around as backups is not new trend. 

Football smarts doesn't have to translate to on field production. Jim Bob Cooter was a bad QB, he's a good OC. Frank Reich wasn't a great QB, he's a great offensive mind. Not to say that these guys will all be coaches one day, but you're wrong if you don't think that plays a role in choosing a back up. The back up typically helps prepare the starter with game prep, he's scout team QB, and coaches love the experience factor.

Look there's a difference between whether he'll be good or whether he deserves a shot. I do think he's being blackballed, I do think he deserves a shot. I just don't think he's that good. I could be wrong, but that's my opinion, I think people see the similarities in mobility and assume they're similar players, and therefore can run the same offense. I don't co-sign to that. 

I guess it all depends on your faith in NFL coaches and management. I've long felt the league is a good old boys club and that often leads to the recycling of players and coaches that have proven time and time again that they aren't good. With a guy like Sorgi, I doubt he was all that important in a meeting room that had Tom Moore and Peyton Manning in it.  Do we really think he was helping Peyton in game prep. And frankly, if he's serving as the scout team quarterback, wouldn't you rather have a scout team quarterback that can prepare the defense for something resembling an NFL-caliber quarterback?

I certainly understand it's been a long-standing trend, but I've always found it to be a foolish tradition. Do any of us honestly think Matt Cassel played/plays any role in Mariota's production or progression? Or, even beyond that, we're looking at Chad Henne. How helpful could he possibly be in meetings, game prep or games with the passing game the Jags have produced the last couple years?

The main argument that I can understand against Kaep is the tremendous pressure that will be placed on Marcus if he struggles with Kaep behind him. But beyond that, I'd love to see if there's any actual proof of development or production based on the experience and age of the backup quarterback. Obviously I would lean against it.

For me, it has nothing to do with running the same offense as Marcus. Virtually every offense in the league changes significantly when the backup comes in (which is why I've always hated the idea some try to float out that Kaep isn't signed because a team would have to alter their play calling for him). I just want a guy that gives us some shot of having a borderline productive offense if he's called upon for a half, or a game, or a month. Especially with a mobile QB that has missed time all three years he's been in the league. 

If you buy into the importance of the backup QB to game prep, I guess I can buy it. Or at least understand the reasoning. it's those that want to call him a terrible quarterback and pretend like he's a worse on-field performer than 90% of the backups and a small chunk of the starters that kind of get to me. I don't know, I've just long been someone that hasn't bought into the idea that just because the majority of the league does something, means that it's actually the right call.

Archived