NFL News & Notes

Leader

7 minutes ago, Refugee said:

His first year, Vikes take the cap hit and his new team could keep the number manageable. He wants to go to Miami or to Buffalo where his brother plays. 

Nobody is trading for him otherwise it would have been done already. Even if they did, he'd want a new contract with new money. 

He's a vested vet so he doesn't have to go through any sort of waiver claim. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Nobody is trading for him otherwise it would have been done already. Even if they did, he'd want a new contract with new money. 

He's a vested vet so he doesn't have to go through any sort of waiver claim. 

Arent vikes still on hook for 2 million for cutting him? 

I am almost convinced that you should use your fifth round pick on a RB every year, and run him into the ground with no intention of ever paying him.  If you do this every season, you have 4 backs on rookie contracts every year.  There is a good likelihood that some of them don't work out, but you only have to hit on 25% of them to have a capable back at all times.

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

MIN will take a cap hit, but that is unrelated to how much it will cost a team to sign Cook.

that cap hit is because he got a signing bonus from minnesota, which had 2 million already as payout for this year? 

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I am almost convinced that you should use your fifth round pick on a RB every year, and run him into the ground with no intention of ever paying him.  If you do this every season, you have 4 backs on rookie contracts every year.  There is a good likelihood that some of them don't work out, but you only have to hit on 25% of them to have a capable back at all times.

This is a great idea, but you can even lower that to drafting a running back every year from the 5th round on. Also, you still need 50% of them to hit because of the injuries RBs always seem to sustain. 

It's a great theory and one that makes sense. I'll bet we are looking back at the 2023 draft and laughing at Atlanta and Detroit. Which will make this draft no different than most for those organizations. Detroit has done some good lately but see where it takes them after the way they bungled the first round this year. 

19 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

i guess i see it like he needs to make at least 2 million less from his new team

On what planet do you think any athlete is going to tell the incoming organization, hey I got 2 million from the previous team, so I'll give you a discount? 

BTW, Cook isn't being paid 2 million from the Vikings if they cut him. 

21 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

that cap hit is because he got a signing bonus from minnesota, which had 2 million already as payout for this year? 

Signing bonus is paid at the time you sign your contract in full. It can be spread out over the duration of the contract. No, he did not get 2 million from the Vikings this year for this year as signing bonus. 

10 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Signing bonus is paid at the time you sign your contract in full. It can be spread out over the duration of the contract. No, he did not get 2 million from the Vikings this year for this year as signing bonus. 

what is the 2 million that is guaranteed from vikings to him this year?

18 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

what is the 2 million that is guaranteed from vikings to him this year?

They guaranteed 2 million in salary this year. Which he gets even if he's released. It was not SB money. He's still not going to allow another team to use that towards his 2023 pay from them. 

Also, he's not likely to get close to what he was going to be paid from MN this year on an annual basis. He's got a lot of tread worn off those tires. 

Edited by Old Guy

14 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

They guaranteed 2 million in salary this year. Which he gets even if he's released. It was not SB money. He's still not going to allow another team to use that towards his 2023 pay from them. 

Also, he's not likely to get close to what he was going to be paid from MN this year on an annual basis. He's got a lot of tread worn off those tires. 

So he is being paid 2 million if they cut him?

3 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

So he is being paid 2 million if they cut him?

This is correct. I believe teams pay it as soon as the player is cut. 

At that point he is an UFA and can sign with the highest bidder. Any moneys promised to him at that point by the signing team are paid by that team.