NFL News & Notes

Leader

16 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

It was always an odd hire.  Shanny brought in Wilks to run the defense, even though Wilks had no history with the scheme SF wanted to continue running.

Perhaps...but I saw some data yesterday that the D performed really well in points against...like, near top of the league.....which is kinda the point no?

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

Perhaps...but I saw some data yesterday that the D performed really well in points against...like, near top of the league.....which is kinda the point no?

SF fell off from where they were in 2022, and in general, weren't playing the style of defense Shanny wants to play.  To me, that 2nsd part is more on Shanny than Wilks.  If you want to keep the scheme intact, maybe hire a guy who's run the scheme before.

Their defense vs GB and DET is what got him fired.

10 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

SF fell off from where they were in 2022, and in general, weren't playing the style of defense Shanny wants to play.  To me, that 2nsd part is more on Shanny than Wilks.  If you want to keep the scheme intact, maybe hire a guy who's run the scheme before. Their defense vs GB and DET is what got him fired.

Okay.

19 hours ago, Refugee said:

Terrible.  I am a city kid through and through but I am weary of giant, less than scripted events like this as I get older.  Just too much potential for one bad actor to create chaos.  I hope all of the injured pull through and that justice is served.

The lack of conversation around this shows how numb we have all become to violence. Clearly, the person(s) who did this are mentally ill. Maybe it's time we start dealing with mental illness in this country more seriously. It is out of control. 

Imagine the amount of security that will now be necessary for teams to have a celebration after a championship. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

The lack of conversation around this shows how numb we have all become to violence. Clearly, the person(s) who did this are mentally ill. Maybe it's time we start dealing with mental illness in this country more seriously. It is out of control. 

Imagine and amount of security that will now be necessary for teams to have a celebration after a championship. 

As far as I know, none of those currently under arrest as potential shooters have been declared mentally ill....so it's not clear at all that mental illness played into this.

Plus...there were some 800 security persons there. Missouri (like Florida) has some of the most lax gun laws in the country. Just about anybody can get a gun and carry it around - without training or a permit requirement - so I'd wager there were probably quite a few more guys walking around with guns.

If the Uvalde tragedy wasnt proof enough...yesterday certainly should be that the theory "It takes a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun" is a fantasy. Sure...once in a long while...a shooter will be taken down by a bystander....but it's a rare occurrence. Most people just run like hell.   

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

As far as I know, none of those currently under arrest as potential shooters have been declared mentally ill....so it's not clear at all that mental illness played into this.

Plus...there were some 800 security persons there. Missouri (like Florida) has some of the most lax gun laws in the country. Just about anybody can get a gun and carry it around - without training or a permit requirement - so I'd wager there were probably quite a few more guys walking around with guns.

If the Uvalde tragedy wasnt proof enough...yesterday certainly should be that the theory "It takes a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun" is a fantasy. Sure...once in a long while...a shooter will be taken down by a bystander....but it's a rare occurrence. Most people just run like hell.   

If you go into a crowd and start randomly shooting people, you are mentally ill. STOP trying to equate a mentally ill deranged killer with innocent citizens CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS! 

The second and third paragraph diatribe is the lamest argument ever. Quit regurgitating talking points like a robot. FBI statistics repeatedly show the states with the laxest gun laws have the least violent crime. New York, Chicago, LA, San Francisco, and on and on have the highest rates of gun crimes. Also, the states with the strictest gun laws. 

Uvalde shooter, mentally ill. The kid in Iowa, mentally ill, 'transitioning from a boy to a girl!" See the trend here? 

We're done here! 

Edited by Old Guy

5 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

If you go into a crowd and start randomly shooting people, you are mentally ill. STOP trying to equate a mentally ill deranged killer with innocent citizens CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS! 

The second and third paragraph diatribe is the lamest argument ever. Quit regurgitating talking points like a robot. FBI statistics repeatedly show the states with the laxest gun laws have the least violent crime. New York, Chicago, LA, San Francisco, and on and on have the highest rates of gun crimes. Also, the states with the strictest gun laws. 

Uvalde shooter, mentally ill. The kid in Iowa, mentally ill, 'transitioning from a boy to a girl!" See the trend here? 

We're done here! 

Where is our right to safety? Where is our right to move about freely without fear of being shot at church, parades, or shopping malls?

Does someone’s right to own a gun trump my right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

Where are my rights here? Where are the rights of the victims yesterday who just wanted to enjoy a parade in peace?

Obviously the “responsible gun owner” is now a myth. Anyone who continues to fight any gun control after this many dead is NOT a responsible person.

This starts and ends with gun owners finally recognizing these are not toys. They don’t belong on your hip as you walk into your Starbucks, they don’t need to be with you inside a target, and they absolutely don’t need to be at a crowded parade.

Other countries can do it just fine. So no, we deserve better.

We deserve the right to live. AFAIK, that was probably in the constitution or some ****.

What I truly want are more gun-free zones. In public places like schools, churches, shopping malls, grocery stores, movie theaters, and public events like parades and concerts, etc.

Please leave your gun at home. Please keep public spaces safe from gun accidents and escalations. You don’t need it.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

LOL  Sure....so I guess we have to cure mental illness in this country before these shootings stop. Sure. Got it.

You want easy, unfettered access to guns? Stay ready to run. That's the new normal.

everyone knows what needs to happen, to many don't want it to, it's not taking guns, it's restricting gun purchase with more in depth back ground checks, it's restricting carry permits to those that actually need to carry, thinking we can somehow spot mental incapacity prior to these shootings is fools gold

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

We're done here! 

There is a reason for quite a bit of gun violence in St Louis and kansas City.  I will give you a hint, it isn't availability of firearms.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bcv said:

Where is our right to safety? Where is our right to move about freely without fear of being shot at church, parades, or shopping malls?

Does someone’s right to own a gun trump my right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

Where are my rights here? Where are the rights of the victims yesterday who just wanted to enjoy a parade in peace?

Obviously the “responsible gun owner” is now a myth. Anyone who continues to fight any gun control after this many dead is NOT a responsible person.

This starts and ends with gun owners finally recognizing these are not toys. They don’t belong on your hip as you walk into your Starbucks, they don’t need to be with you inside a target, and they absolutely don’t need to be at a crowded parade.

Other countries can do it just fine. So no, we deserve better.

We deserve the right to live. AFAIK, that was probably in the constitution or some ****.

What I truly want are more gun-free zones. In public places like schools, churches, shopping malls, grocery stores, movie theaters, and public events like parades and concerts, etc.

Please leave your gun at home. Please keep public spaces safe from gun accidents and escalations. You don’t need it.

LOL! One of the naivest posts I've ever seen written. 

This will only go downhill from here! I'm done. 

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

There is a reason for quite a bit of gun violence in St Louis and kansas City.  I will give you a hint, it isn't availability of firearms.

sure it is, very lax gun regs make it easier for angry people to buy guns, prior to guns these angry people had to use knifes, clubs and fist, innocent by standers where rarely harmed