NFL News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

John Madden: 

"People used to say to me, 'It must be great coaching and traveling and seeing all the things you do,' "  "Well, I'd get on the airplane, and then I'd get off the airplane, get on a bus and go to the hotel. Then the stadium, then the airplane again. I thought I'd traveled all over, but I hadn't seen anything. You've got to be on the ground to see things."

Thanks for sharing this - I had always assumed he had a fear of flying, which prompted his bus travel.

1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:

Thanks for sharing this - I had always assumed he had a fear of flying, which prompted his bus travel.

It's more than an assumption. He was claustrophobic and had a fear of heights - hence, he didnt like to fly.
I like the quote - its a good read and poetically true in many ways - however......

"The Amtrak schedules weren't always convenient. The TV gig turned into a second career, one that has increased his wealth and fame more than he ever expected, and in '87 Greyhound offered to customize a bus for Madden and supply him with drivers for three years in return for promotional and speaking appearances"

It may have had a touch of promotional quality to it as well.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1990/11/26/busmans-holiday-coast-to-coast-commuter-john-madden-likes-what-he-sees-as-he-rolls-across-america-in-his-suite-on-wheels

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

It's more than an assumption. He was claustrophobic and had a fear of heights - hence, he didnt like to fly.
I like the quote - its a good read and poetically true in many ways - however......

"The Amtrak schedules weren't always convenient. The TV gig turned into a second career, one that has increased his wealth and fame more than he ever expected, and in '87 Greyhound offered to customize a bus for Madden and supply him with drivers for three years in return for promotional and speaking appearances"

It may have had a touch of promotional quality to it as well.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1990/11/26/busmans-holiday-coast-to-coast-commuter-john-madden-likes-what-he-sees-as-he-rolls-across-america-in-his-suite-on-wheels

I’ve always been intrigued by Madden.  I mean, I grew up watching him as both a coach and a TV icon, played his video games, laughed at his bombastic statements and his obsession with Brett Favre and the Dallas Cowboys.  He just had a very large presence in the game for the better part of 40 years, so maybe his passing hits a little harder because it’s a reminder that I’m getting old.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:

I’ve always been intrigued by Madden.  I mean, I grew up watching him as both a coach and a TV icon, played his video games, laughed at his bombastic statements and his obsession with Brett Favre and the Dallas Cowboys.  He just had a very large presence in the game for the better part of 40 years, so maybe his passing hits a little harder because it’s a reminder that I’m getting old.

In a way that's how I mark that particular aspect of time.....those that I grew up with.....who were older than me....passing. I find myself noting their date of birth more often :)

• Like 3

Re Madden, it always amused me that when another team accused him of some wrongdoing, he almost always admitted to doing it........even when (as was often the case) he had done nothing. I just like that sideways take on him, he was good at  messing with other peoples minds.

"I what ? Put a rat in your locker-room ? Sure, I did that !"

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Leader said:

Kevin Gallagher -  54 years ago today, NFL history's coldest day...

–13°F. Packers. Cowboys.

"The Ice Bowl", the 1967 NFL Championship.

And yet, without the link where you see the C with no gloves your obsession with not linking the tweets this post is 10% the value it could be:

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

And yet, without the link where you see the C with no gloves your obsession with not linking the tweets this post is 10% the value it could be...

LOL. Seeing the C w/o gloves does it for you eh? Fills in the missing 90% does it? :)  Too funny.

Edited by Leader

Rotoworld -  Cardinals CB Marco Wilson (shoulder) has been ruled out for Week 17 against Dallas. The Cardinals will be without two of their top three corners with Robert Alford on IR. Cardinals FS Budda Baker (ribs) is questionable, leaving the secondary potentially down multiple starters.

21 hours ago, Leader said:

Rotoworld -  Cardinals CB Marco Wilson (shoulder) has been ruled out for Week 17 against Dallas. The Cardinals will be without two of their top three corners with Robert Alford on IR. Cardinals FS Budda Baker (ribs) is questionable, leaving the secondary potentially down multiple starters.

There is something particularly satisfying about watching Dallas and MM bubble fill with hot air. They are gonna smoke the cardinals, be declared champions by themselves and media. This will be promptly followed by getting knocked early in playoffs.

Field Yates -   Bengals DE Trey Hendrickson has a career-high 14 sacks already, with at least .5 sacks in 11 straight games.

With at least a half sack today, he'd become the first player in NFL history to do so in 12 straight games in a single season. A home run free agent signing.