Free Agent Possibilities

VigilantZombie

Obviously not all of the guys currently listed as FA's will end up as FA's but it's reasonable to discuss the potential of some players. 

I'm going to start with the obvious positions (ILB, OLB, S) because it's what we need the most.  I'm not a cap expert so I don't really know what each specific player I'm about to mention would cost or whehter we can afford it. 

OLB Marquis Flowers / NE

OLB Aldon Smith / Oak

OLB Devon Kennard / NYG

OLB Jeremiah Attaochu / LAC

I think each of them, more so Flowers than anyone has some potential although I'm not sure Aldon Smith 'still has it' or even fits the character profile we like.  J.A. might be too expensive and I'd be surprised if Flowers leaves NE.

ILB Demario Davis / NYJ  -- He has nice stats for starters, has potential, might be able to be a similar thumper like Timmons, certainly an upgrade imo to what we have now? 

ILB Avery Williamson / Tenn  -- Young, might flourish with the right teacher (not sure we have that) has talent and room for improvement.  Has speed which we're going to need.

CB Kyle Fuller / Chicago -- the Chances that Chicago let's him walk or that we could afford him are pretty slim...however, if he hit FA and we could find a way, I think this would absolutely be worth it (unrealistic however).

CB Brent Grimes / TB -- I actually listed him for a Safety Convert.  He has good coverage skills just doesn't have the speed he once did.  Anyone think he could be an improvement over Mitchell?

CB Prince Amukamara / Chicago -- Should Chicago let him walk does anyone think he'd be willing to convert to Safety? Definitely an improvement in coverage to what we have and still has some 'youth' left.

3 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Obviously not all of the guys currently listed as FA's will end up as FA's but it's reasonable to discuss the potential of some players. 

I'm going to start with the obvious positions (ILB, OLB, S) because it's what we need the most.  I'm not a cap expert so I don't really know what each specific player I'm about to mention would cost or whehter we can afford it. 

OLB Marquis Flowers / NE

OLB Aldon Smith / Oak

OLB Devon Kennard / NYG

OLB Jeremiah Attaochu / LAC

I think each of them, more so Flowers than anyone has some potential although I'm not sure Aldon Smith 'still has it' or even fits the character profile we like.  J.A. might be too expensive and I'd be surprised if Flowers leaves NE.

ILB Demario Davis / NYJ  -- He has nice stats for starters, has potential, might be able to be a similar thumper like Timmons, certainly an upgrade imo to what we have now? 

ILB Avery Williamson / Tenn  -- Young, might flourish with the right teacher (not sure we have that) has talent and room for improvement.  Has speed which we're going to need.

CB Kyle Fuller / Chicago -- the Chances that Chicago let's him walk or that we could afford him are pretty slim...however, if he hit FA and we could find a way, I think this would absolutely be worth it (unrealistic however).

CB Brent Grimes / TB -- I actually listed him for a Safety Convert.  He has good coverage skills just doesn't have the speed he once did.  Anyone think he could be an improvement over Mitchell?

CB Prince Amukamara / Chicago -- Should Chicago let him walk does anyone think he'd be willing to convert to Safety? Definitely an improvement in coverage to what we have and still has some 'youth' left.

anytime you can take a starter from the enemy, why not, so Flowers might be a good idea

If smith gets reinstated and is in functional etc , he could be a force as he was unblockable at one time. Who knows about now though.

Grimes for CB (maybe vonte davis) , Deangelo Hall for FS (maybe V.davis or Prince) , bye to mitchell

Seems the theme will be defense and for good reason. We have no cap when we sign Bell. I'm now up to 5 years, $85m. However, we can get a few cuts and restructures and I'll gives those now.

Tuitt - take 7.5m roster bonus plus 2.5m salary convert to a signing bonus and spread over 5 years remaining on the contract. That is exactly what they will do and that's why the numbers are what they are. Saves $8m [(7.5 + 2.5)/5] .... [10- 2= 8]

Brown - go to the bank of Brown and this time I can't guarantee this is what they would do, but this is what I would do. I'll take $6m roster bonus plus $6m of his salary and convert that to a signing bonus and spread (amortize) that over the life of the remaining contract to get AB 2018 cap figure of $8,675,000. Saves $9m on 2018 cap [(6 + 6)/4] = 3 ..... 12-9 = 3. Keep in mind 3...3...3...3 goes on every subsequent year so it doesn't go away but it pushed to future years.

Cut ****h**e 1 Mike Mitchell. By designating him a June 1 designation. I can cut his remaining signing bonus pro-ration into two. It sits at $3,135,418 so cut into two is $1,566,709. So by cutting Mike Mitchell I save his salary $5m (because he's cut) plus the $1,566,709. So Mike Mitchell saves $6,566,709. This works this way because he only has one year remaining and that is next year.

Cut ****h**e 2 JJ Wilcox. What the hell designate him a June 1 designation as well. You get two of these. I can cut his remaining signing bonus ratin into two. It sits at $675,000 so cut into two is $337,500. So by cutting JJ Wilcox I save his salary $3,125,000 (because he's cut) plus the $337,500. So JJ Wilcox the holding machine saves $3,462,500

Cut William Gay. Wilcox or him could get the June 1 designation but it doesn't really matter anyway. If I cut William Gay I take his cap figure and my savings would be his salary because he's in the final year of his deal. So his salary + signing bonus pro-ration makes up his cap figure. Take his salary $1,750,000 plus his signing bonus pro-ration $633,334 = $2,383,334. So if I just flat out cut William Gay tomorrow I save $1,750,000. Remember now that $633,334 would be "dead money" so he's technically still on the cap but just for less money.

I'm not done yet. I got one more. Did Vance McDonald set a record for most TE receptions by a Steeler in a playoff game. Might have gone unnoticed. He had to have at least ten receptions. Anyway, this is a restructure. It makes sense because he has no signing bonus pro-ration because the 49ers have that in dead money. Kinda like how the Pirates are paying the Giants to take on Cutch's salary. Another time for how asinine that was. I'll take his roster bonus (750k) plus workout bonus (150K) plus salary (2.7m) and turn that into a signing bonus and spread out (amortize) the life of the contract. Salary $1m + 900k = $1.9m cap figure for 2018. Vance McDonald restructure saves $2,700,000

I'm still not done. Coty Sensabaugh sucks. So I'll just flat out cut him. Saving $1,400,000

Remember, we can still save more with Ben and/or DeCastro. But DeCastro is the only one I'd consider bc he's got the roster bonus and Ben is running out of time so spreading out his money could hurt you. That being said I'm fine with opening up $32,879,209

There's no longer a question if you can sign Bell.

Free Agents

As for free agents, first off I don't think I exercise Bud Dupree's fifth year option. He will play out this season. I do like Ziggy Ansah as a pass rush guy and I also like Jeremiah Attaochu. I like Aaron Lynch and even Dion Jordan for a minimum type deal. These aren't the problems. The problem is still coaching. And it will always be coaching until change happens.

EDGE - Ziggy Ansah, Jeremiah Attaochu, Aaron Lynch, Dion Jordan

CB - Justin Coleman - Solid depth signing. Liked him coming out of Tennessee and played well this year.

Safety - Kenny Vaccaro, Eric Reid, LaMarcus Joyner

ILB - Zach Brown, Sean Weatherspoon

DT - Dontari Poe, Sheldon Richardson. Dominique Easley

Two or three of these guys and we have ever more talent that the rest of the league.

It's going to come down to coaching. How much talent does a roster have to have to be champions? I'll lose you here but even Sir Alex Ferguson took Manchester United to champions of the Premier League his final season before retiring with the same talent that the next manager was fired for six months into a six year contract. It's about maximizing the talent with which you are given. That's the job of the leader. You don't think Mike Tomlin is a leader? And occasionally when you have all the talent finding a coach that makes them even better or not getting complacent and shows discipline and not letting them get away with anything bc they know they're the best..... Chuck Noll

4 hours ago, Money said:

I wouldn't even mind a middle tier QB like Bridgewater that's probably top 40 QBs so I don't have to waste a pick so I can maximize the time left I have with Ben.

Please don't take a QB at #28.

Teddy isnt going to sign anywhere he doesnt have a chance to compete for starter immediately.   Literally zero chance that happens.   I see him signing with the Bills or Cardinals.   He will be brought to a team to likely compete with a drafted rookie.

Im not big on the idea of drafting a QB in round 1 either, but depending who it is, I could live with it.   If Lamar Jackson fell...Id be okay.   If we draft Josh Allen, I'll freak out.  

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

No. They didn’t do it to Jones and Dupree is better than Jones. 

so they never learned much from the jones incident then. Dupree isn't as bad as jones you mean ;)

With this team having more 4-3 type DT's and lacking good 3-4 OLB's , I would prefer the 4-3. The light nickel is too vulnerable vs the run and we are already not good  vs the run. 

If the Jags lose to NE and it is a direct result of Bortles' play, i pose a question/scenario.

Lets say Jax decides to move forward without Bortles which i think is a real possibility. Is Bortles someone anyone thinks could improve and succeed in Pittsburgh or is he just more of what we already have?

17 hours ago, 3rivers said:

@Money you really have the capology going  with detail.  What are you expecting the cap value to be for bell after all this settles?

We have to sign rooks and then leave some room for possible in season signings too. 

Every time I do one of these with Bell the AAV goes up. I'm just gonna give him what AB got. Top WR. Top RB money. My guess would be something like 5 years, $85m or $17m AAV. AB got $19m to sign so something along those lines or even higher. Expect a big roster bonus year two. And then $10m+ salaries per year to fill in the gaps.

Shooting in the dark. Let's say $20m signing bonus. Year two roster bonus of $12m.

Salaries

Year 1 - $8,000,000 (meaning $40m in the first 12 months - another attractive feature :D)

Year 2 - $9,500,000

Year 3 - $11,000,000

Year 4 - $12,500,000

Year 5 - $14,000,000

Year One cap figure - $12,000,000    [20/5 + 8] = 12 

Pretty straight forward Steeler deal no frills. The question is would it be enough for him to take it. 50-50. Makes you think why didn't they just give him something along these lines in July.

@Money for someone with 20 posts , you are proving to have studied capology and your work is appreciated.

I wouldn't offer 5 years but there is the factor of him demanding that and possibly other teams offering 5 years. In the future I doubt RB's get  5 year deals if many more break down as they usually do.  Your 5/85 has to be the max the steelers should even consider.  We had Bell this year and never won a playoff game :S, a reason I would rather spend on D with proven players.

Archived