Allen Robinson’s rehab progress

pwny

16 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

virtual guarantee

I am just wondering how it can be guaranteed?

The Jaguars currently sit with 16 million in cap space and there are not a lot of contracts that can move to clear a ton of space. If Bortles is rehabbing he cannot be released and that money is guaranteed.

16 million

-6 million draft class

-10 million base to start with and the tag alone is 16 millionish

24 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am just wondering how it can be guaranteed?

The Jaguars currently sit with 16 million in cap space and there are not a lot of contracts that can move to clear a ton of space. If Bortles is rehabbing he cannot be released and that money is guaranteed.

16 million

-6 million draft class

-10 million base to start with and the tag alone is 16 millionish

- Salary cap increases every year
- Ivory will be cut, Hurns could be restructured or cut
- There is still cap available to roll forward
- Is that figure looking at Top 51?

Virtual. Guarantee.

Depends on where we want the money to go.

We’re at 23.5 now. If we cut Ivory, we get an extra 6 (if they do it as a June 6 cut). So 29.5.

ARob getting franchised would be ~16.2, so we’re down to $13.3.

These are the players selected at our current draft spots last year and their year one cost

1.29 David Njoku - 1.73

2.29 Josh Jones - .77

3.29 Montravius Adams - .67

4.29 Jamaal Williams - .61

Not gonna go any further, but we got ~$3.9. Round it up to an even 6 to account for the remaining picks and some UDFAs. That’s still probably low, but ??‍♀️

So we’re talking like $7 mill to do Free Agency. It’s doable if we want to not be active, but it’s going to be tight. 

16 hours ago, WindyCity said:

23 million is not a huge operating budget.

Ivory and Hurns clears 10.5 million

33.5 million

That would be a pretty low number to tag a guy for 16 million.

ARob is probably going to be looking for that $16M sort of range anyway.  If he's healthy, he'll want Hopkins, Jeffery sort of money...which puts it in that range either way.

But there should be enough room to fit him in.  You make sure you can get your #1WR back cap-wise, before you go out trying to spend on FA pickups from outside.  Just means the Jaguars probably won't be significant FA players this season (for the first time in forever).

On 2/9/2018 at 5:10 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Cutting Ivory should be a forgone conclusion. Any chance A-Rob wants to sign a multi-year deal for less? I assume he would but there is risk on our side but it would make this offseason easier. 

I just don't really see what reason ARob and his agent would have for doing that, unless say...his rehab actually isn't going that well, and/or they're not confident he's going to be able to put together another high-end season and want to cash out early.  Which would be concerning in its own right.

If he comes back healthy, he'll easily be in the conversation for a long-term deal in the mold of Hopkins/Jeffery/Adams...which lands in the sort of territory that's eventually ramping up toward $16M (tag money?) anyway.

So if you're looking at those sort of comps for a long-term deal anyway from the Jaguars end...there's not much reason to take on additional risk by locking it in long-term, when you're basically going to pay that anyway.

14 minutes ago, Danger said:

A lot of players do have that, but not all. Here's one that really discredits their metric though.

Have a good laugh at Cowboys fans. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-19089/market-value/

I mean that’s kinda about right. If Dak was on the market, you don’t think the Browns would throw $25 mill at him? QB contracts are absolutely absurd. Go win as many as you can while Wentz is on his rookie deal, because things aren’t going to be as fun when he signs a $35m/year deal.

2 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I mean that’s kinda about right. If Dak was on the market, you don’t think the Browns would throw $25 mill at him? QB contracts are absolutely absurd. Go win as many as you can while Wentz is on his rookie deal, because things aren’t going to be as fun when he signs a $35m/year deal.

It might be upwards of 30 Million. But that said, I understand if Dak gets $25 Million per for 5 years. But if they're going 8 years it's probably closer to $20-22 Million Per

1 minute ago, Danger said:

It might be upwards of 30 Million. But that said, I understand if Dak gets $25 Million per for 5 years. But if they're going 8 years it's probably closer to $20-22 Million Per

Oh. I didn’t even see the 8 year thing. But I think I get what’s going on with it. They’re basing it on the age that QB’s second contracts typically run out.

It makes sense for other positions because you don’t want to sign a 28 year old RB for 4 years, but you can sign a 24 year old one for 5 and probably be okay. Teams tend to age contracts for players to end around age related milestones that signify points of decrease in output. it’s dumb to stick guaranteed money into years that a player is likely to be terrible and also dumb to let contracts come up for renewal following peak prime years. 

So they’re saying that a team spending on a second contract for a good QB is typically willing to give $25/year until the guy is 32. You really don’t want the next contract to end when the guy is 29 years old because he’s likely just finished what has a high probability to be his career year and is therefore going to be able to suck more money out of a buyer.

It gets kinda weird because Dak is a second year player who is only 24. But they’re trying to structure contracts the way most teams do to the age of a player. When teams step outside of this model and try to buy themselves some extra years to figure it out, they end up doing stupid things and allowing players to negotiate in their biggest years. See Kirk Cousins for the example this contract would be trying to avoid.

Archived