Free Agent RBs

Just Want A Title

Rather than use a draft pick on a RB should we pick up a RB like Jerick McKinnon who wants to move on from the vikings?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000909725/article/jerick-mckinnon-ready-to-be-the-guy-moving-forward

Or maybe Isaiah Crowell?  It seems like the number of good RBs in this draft could make it easier a quality veteran.  Thoughts?

It's a fairly deep draft for RB's.  Not a lot of top tier guys like Barkley, but some pretty interesting mid round picks could help.  I like the idea of a back like Crowell.  If Washington had better instincts, he has the size and speed to be a fairly good RB.

• Isaiah Crowell | 5'11 225 lbs.|25 Years Old
  • Orleans Darkwa | 5'11 219 lbs.|25 Years Old
  • Jeremy Hill| 6'1 230 lbs.|25 Years Old
  • Carlos Hyde| 6'0 235 lbs.|27 Years Old
  • Branden Bolden| 5'11 220 lbs.|27 Years Old
  • Charles Sims| 6'0 214 lbs.|27 Years Old
  • Alfred Blue| 6'2 225 lbs.|27 Years Old

Here's a break down of a few guys that we should be targeting. With Jimmy G now in the Bay, I wonder if Hyde will wind up back with the Niners. Otherwise, most of these guys should be available and can play a complimentary role in the offense.

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:
  • Isaiah Crowell | 5'11 225 lbs.|25 Years Old
  • Orleans Darkwa | 5'11 219 lbs.|25 Years Old
  • Jeremy Hill| 6'1 230 lbs.|25 Years Old
  • Carlos Hyde| 6'0 235 lbs.|27 Years Old
  • Branden Bolden| 5'11 220 lbs.|27 Years Old
  • Charles Sims| 6'0 214 lbs.|27 Years Old
  • Alfred Blue| 6'2 225 lbs.|27 Years Old

Here's a break down of a few guys that we should be targeting. With Jimmy G now in the Bay, I wonder if Hyde will wind up back with the Niners. Otherwise, most of these guys should be available and can play a complimentary role in the offense.

I am leaning towards Crowell or Hill. They both have produced on bad teams, they both have the size and both have made plays as a receiver and runner.

Free agency is underwhelming hoping somehow it gets better..

The draft offers little imo. For me it's just I think almost every round you can get a better player..and I'm always taking the better player. Rbs will fall in this draft is my prediction. I wouldn't jump high..

At this point I'd try to target a roster guy and try to get away with giving up a late pick..if not 

I'd hope for the best with late rd draft picks and udfas  ( this is where I'm at..)

Hyde has injury issues but would be the only one of those backs I have any interest in.  The others are non-inspiring and would not help or fix our run game IMO.  I think a 5th round RB would be just as much of a boost as any of those with potential to be a much bigger help.  I would not waste any money on these guys. 

4 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Hyde has injury issues but would be the only one of those backs I have any interest in.  The others are non-inspiring and would not help or fix our run game IMO.  I think a 5th round RB would be just as much of a boost as any of those with potential to be a much bigger help.  I would not waste any money on these guys. 

My issue with him is that he's the main name that is likely to be available. As a result, he's going to be more expensive. He's also older than my main targets by two years. That's quite a bit for a RB. I would be good with Crowell or Hill out of the group. Crowell is going to cost a little extra but I don't think he'll break the bank. Hill should be a bit cheaper but still offers upside.

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

My issue with him is that he's the main name that is likely to be available. As a result, he's going to be more expensive. He's also older than my main targets by two years. That's quite a bit for a RB. I would be good with Crowell or Hill out of the group. Crowell is going to cost a little extra but I don't think he'll break the bank. Hill should be a bit cheaper but still offers upside.

Hyde may be older, but he didn't play for nearly two years.  He has 655 carries over a four year career where as Crowell has 737 over his four years.  That being said, RBs don't make much, neither of these guys are elite, and neither will likely get much on the open market because they are not very good.  I don't see either of them coming in and being better than what we have in Washington.  And that doesn't mean I like Washington. 

I really would not be excited about any of those players coming here.  I think they all will be battling for roster spots and would rather take my chances in the mid/late draft. 

Abdullah should be cut since his only conceivable role is third-down back and Riddick is much better. Riddick will stay and Tion Green will have a good chance to stay since he has shown commitment to special teams and could also be a valuable short-yardage backup. And I'd take most of those free agents over Zenner, I don't see him as having much of a future in the NFL.

So, there are possibly two roles to be filled. One could be a pick, one a free agent, but then again you could possibly sign two FAs. If, for instance, they signed both Crowell and Hyde, that wouldn't be my first choice but it would give the Lions four backs to mix and match.

I hate to judge every last thing Patricia does against the Patriots because he is sure to depart from that blueprint in some manner, but obviously the Pats have never relied much on any one back, or on big-name draft picks at RB, at least not since Curtis Martin.

29 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Hyde may be older, but he didn't play for nearly two years.  He has 655 carries over a four year career where as Crowell has 737 over his four years.  That being said, RBs don't make much, neither of these guys are elite, and neither will likely get much on the open market because they are not very good.  I don't see either of them coming in and being better than what we have in Washington.  And that doesn't mean I like Washington. 

I really would not be excited about any of those players coming here.  I think they all will be battling for roster spots and would rather take my chances in the mid/late draft. 

Dion Lewis is expected to make about $5M. I'd say that puts Crowell and Hyde in the $4M- $6M range. Hill is probably $3 - $3.5. It's not like they're costing $100k.

1st and 2nd down = ?

3rd/receiving option = Riddick

Short Yardage = ?

We have definite roles to fill. I liked Green but he's really just a guy. Abdullah would play back up to Riddick. He's good depth but he likely wouldn't be happy with his role and want out. He's not good enough to bank on and only take a guy in the draft. He'll either be cut or traded. So we're going to have to fill at least two spots one way or another (assuming we keep 4 RB's).

24 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Abdullah should be cut since his only conceivable role is third-down back and Riddick is much better. Riddick will stay and Tion Green will have a good chance to stay since he has shown commitment to special teams and could also be a valuable short-yardage backup. And I'd take most of those free agents over Zenner, I don't see him as having much of a future in the NFL.

So, there are possibly two roles to be filled. One could be a pick, one a free agent, but then again you could possibly sign two FAs. If, for instance, they signed both Crowell and Hyde, that wouldn't be my first choice but it would give the Lions four backs to mix and match.

I hate to judge every last thing Patricia does against the Patriots because he is sure to depart from that blueprint in some manner, but obviously the Pats have never relied much on any one back, or on big-name draft picks at RB, at least not since Curtis Martin.

I think he'll be traded. He's done enough where someone will be willing to part with a 5th or so to see if they can get more out of him. Heck - we might even send him to NE.

Riddick and Green are the best two options. I believe we'll bring in a FA and draft someone mid-round. Green's spot will be the most volatile. I'd be surprised if we brought in more than one bigger name FA. It's possible to bring in a guy like Bolden as a Patriots guy that would come cheaply. He's just someone that would be competing more for Green's spot as opposed to a lead back role. I think it's more about Quinn than Patricia. That's his philosophy and assuming Patricia would be on board with having more options. We're not getting Bell and I would question if we should even want him. That will be one heck of a cap hit and he has a suspension history.

2 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Abdullah should be cut since his only conceivable role is third-down back and Riddick is much better. Riddick will stay and Tion Green will have a good chance to stay since he has shown commitment to special teams and could also be a valuable short-yardage backup.

This is how you end up with no good players 

Archived