Would it be worth it to trade for Kirk Cousins

Crickett

So, I got in a debate with someone last night over this particular topic. 

Is it worth it for the Browns to trade the #1 pick to Washington for a franchised Kirk Cousins and the #13 pick? 

The argument in favor was, the Browns have a ton of money, they can more than afford to pay Cousins.  If they want Cousins and think he is a franchise quarterback, this allows them to get him and still retain ownership of two first round picks to add talent.  You could draft Saquon Barkley and either a wide receiver like Calvin Ridley or an offensive linemen like Conner Williams to build around Cousins. Cousins is a proven commodity, pro bowl caliber arguably a top ten NFL quarterback whereas the draft is a crap shoot.  You don't know if Rosen or Darnold will be any good.  Certainly both have their detractors.  Cousins may have had a comparatively down year in 2017, but he also lost a lot of talent at receiver and had basically no run game. 

The argument against was, Kirk Cousins is not worth the trade down and the record contract.  One or the other, clearly. He may be a pro bowl caliber quarterback, but he's clearly not a "winner" given his 0-2 playoff record.  And while he's arguably a top ten quarterback, he's not definitively one.  It's an issue of value and while you can argue it would be worth it for a team in such desperate need of quarterback help to sign someone like Cousins to a record contract, he's just not good enough to give up what would be an unprecedented price tag.  No team has ever given up the #1 pick in trade AND given a record contract for a quarterback you could make an argument isn't even top ten at his position.  Even getting a first rounder in return.

So what say you, Browns fans? 

No. If he was signed long term, it would be worth considering. If this were a terrible QB class, it would be worth considering. If Kirk Cousins was 10% better, it would be worth considering.

As is, it's not even worth considering.

Nope. I'm not even totally sure if he's worth simply signing with the amount of money he's going to get and the fact that we'd pass up on a QB at #1, let alone trading for. Cousins is more of a sure thing than any of the QB prospects, sure, but we pretty much know who he is at this point in his career - a good, but not great, QB. I think I'd rather take my chances on drafting a potentially great QB and use that cap space elsewhere.

If you're a team like Denver, then he might be worth trading their first pick and signing him to a mega deal, if Washington was willing to do that in exchange for their first pick. But that's because they have more pieces to compete now and will likely miss out on the top two QBs of the draft.

Archived