Reloading the Offense Offseason

Bobby816

New York Jets 2018 Offseason

Cuts:

Buster Skrine: disappointing Jets career.

Matt Forte: respect the guys career, but it’s time to go.

Mo Wilkerson: he isn’t worth 1/2 his salary anymore.

James Carpenter: doesn’t fit our ZBS.

We cut a few small names and We head into FA with 110-115mill in cap space roughly.

Resign:

Quincy Enunwa: him getting injured might have been a good thing. It’ll save us a ton of money.

Morris Claiborne: when healthy he’s a good #2 CB.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins: finally using that talent God have him. Hopefully he can just get better and better.

Demario Davis: no player has earned a contract more than this guy.

Kony Ealy: a change of scenery has seemed to spark his career. Losing Mo means nothing with resigning him.

Chandler Catanzaro: he’s been a solid K for us.

Jonathan Harrison: backup center.

Terrance Brooks: good rotational safety behind our young guys.

Dakota Dozier: good OLine depth.

Julian Stanford: ST value.

(All these resigns cost between 30-35mill)

Free Agency:

Kirk Cousins: Guys like this don’t hit FA often. Redskins transition tag him and we price everyone out. He has a good 7yrs or so of high talent football left in him.

(6yr 175mill with 90mill guaranteed, 37mill in 2018.)

Phillip Gaines: Love his size to be able to bang with big WRs. Very good tackler as well. Him and Claiborne are neither #1 CBs, but they’re both good #2s. I think Claiborne will be better just by having a guy like Gaines opposite him I should note.

(5yr 50mill with 30mill guaranteed)

Weston Richburg: Big upgrade at Center that gives us stability this franchise loves at C. He will make the rest of the OLine better.

(4yr 35mill with 25mill guaranteed)

Jack Mewhort: After cutting Carpenter we add a talented young OG. Injuries have hurt his career or else he’d be considered the best OG in this FA class. We took a shot on Beachum last year and it worked out good. This year it’s Mewhort. A complete steal if he stays healthy.

(3yr 25mill with 15mill guaranteed)

Draft:

1st: Saquon Barkley (RB/Penn State)

I feel like Barkley is a difference maker. We need difference makers. After upgrading the OLine and getting a QB we decide to add a star RB. Every time this franchise has been good, we have a good RB.

2nd: Ogbonnia Okoronkwo (Edge/OU)

Straight up speed rusher that we need. He can get in the backfield. He’s a tad undersized, but we can afford that with a bigger DLine. Hopefully our long answer for an edge rusher.

2nd (from Seattle): Christian Kirk (WR/Texas A&M)

Really like this guy at WR. He reminds me of a poor mans Antonio Brown. We need weapons for Cousins at WR. High production guy in college with good route running. Has ST return value too.

3rd: Andre Dillard (OT/Washington State)

Beachum starts for us in 2018, but Dillard is the future LT for us long term hopefully. He can even battle Shell for a starting RT spot initially.

4th: Micah Kiser (ILB/Virginia)

Highly intelligent LB, makes tackles with great instincts. Not the fastest guy and that’s why he’s available this late. Playing alongside Lee, we can afford a drop in speed for instinct and tackling. He can learn behind Davis for development.

5th: Durham Smythe (TE/ Notre Dame)

Smythe is more a do it all TE unlike ASJ and Leggett. He’s a better blocker than both and has some receiving skills.

6th: Nik Needham (CB/UTEP)

ST guy and depth at CB. Likes to play press coverage.

7th: Michael Badgley (K/ Miami)

Camp battle at K that Cat will win I’m sure.

13 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

I hope you meant 6 years for Cousins, you have him getting $35M per year. ($7M more per year than Stafford)

Ya I really don’t even like putting numbers. Bc people start critiquing that rather than the actual offseason.

I still think Jets will go with Beachum and Shell for 2 seasons, maybe 3, so taking OT that high is not necessary. Besides, during Maccagnan's tenure as Jet's GM, he drafted no Pac schools outside California.

Regarding Q.  By saving a ton of money... Do you mean Jets will non tender him in order to try for 1m? 

FA and Draft look all right.

2 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Like you did to my mock. ¬¬

I never critiqued your contracts in yours. I critiqued that you didn’t spend nearly enough in FA with 110+milk in cap space. That’s not the point though.

Beachum is pretty much done with his guaranteed money after this next season. He’s only guaranteed 1.4mill of his 9mill in the 2019 season. So we very well could grab an OT this draft and groom them for a year and start them in 2019.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

I never critiqued your contracts in yours. I critiqued that you didn’t spend nearly enough in FA with 110+milk in cap space. That’s not the point though.

Beachum is pretty much done with his guaranteed money after this next season. He’s only guaranteed 1.4mill of his 9mill in the 2019 season. So we very well could grab an OT this draft and groom them for a year and start them in 2019.

AAV is for base salary which does not included signing bonus.  Still not reach 100m mark but Jets could scrap few veteran players at last minute.

No reason to dump Beachum, really.   The acceptable low point for LT is average and below average for RT.  Beachum and Shell are right there. However, I can see Dillard win the LG job. I change my mind on him being taken in 3rd.

I am concerned about Richburg and Mewhort's injury history (more concerned about Richburg with the concision that limited him to 4 games).  Both would be upgrades, I agree, but I would feel it be too risky to sign two guys like this. 

Would love to get Barkely if we sign Cousins but I really don't think he will be there at 6 as I don't see Indy at 3 and Clev at 4 passing him up. 

I'd like Dalton Schultz in the 4th before Smythe

Like the two 2nd rounders.  Cuts and resigns make sense.  Like a few CBs better then Gaines for 10M per.  And that is boat load of money for Cousins - don't know he is worth that much per year - he would be about $10 million more then the next QB in 2018....get we have cap space but .......

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

New York Jets 2018 Offseason

Cuts:

Buster Skrine: disappointing Jets career.

Matt Forte: respect the guys career, but it’s time to go.

Mo Wilkerson: he isn’t worth 1/2 his salary anymore.

James Carpenter: doesn’t fit our ZBS.

We cut a few small names and We head into FA with 110-115mill in cap space roughly.

Resign:

Quincy Enunwa: him getting injured might have been a good thing. It’ll save us a ton of money.

Morris Claiborne: when healthy he’s a good #2 CB.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins: finally using that talent God have him. Hopefully he can just get better and better.

Demario Davis: no player has earned a contract more than this guy.

Kony Ealy: a change of scenery has seemed to spark his career. Losing Mo means nothing with resigning him.

Chandler Catanzaro: he’s been a solid K for us.

Jonathan Harrison: backup center.

Terrance Brooks: good rotational safety behind our young guys.

Dakota Dozier: good OLine depth.

Julian Stanford: ST value.

(All these resigns cost between 30-35mill)

Free Agency:

Kirk Cousins: Guys like this don’t hit FA often. Redskins transition tag him and we price everyone out. He has a good 7yrs or so of high talent football left in him.

(6yr 175mill with 90mill guaranteed, 37mill in 2018.)

Phillip Gaines: Love his size to be able to bang with big WRs. Very good tackler as well. Him and Claiborne are neither #1 CBs, but they’re both good #2s. I think Claiborne will be better just by having a guy like Gaines opposite him I should note.

(5yr 50mill with 30mill guaranteed)

Weston Richburg: Big upgrade at Center that gives us stability this franchise loves at C. He will make the rest of the OLine better.

(4yr 35mill with 25mill guaranteed)

Jack Mewhort: After cutting Carpenter we add a talented young OG. Injuries have hurt his career or else he’d be considered the best OG in this FA class. We took a shot on Beachum last year and it worked out good. This year it’s Mewhort. A complete steal if he stays healthy.

(3yr 25mill with 15mill guaranteed)

Draft:

1st: Saquon Barkley (RB/Penn State)

I feel like Barkley is a difference maker. We need difference makers. After upgrading the OLine and getting a QB we decide to add a star RB. Every time this franchise has been good, we have a good RB.

2nd: Ogbonnia Okoronkwo (Edge/OU)

Straight up speed rusher that we need. He can get in the backfield. He’s a tad undersized, but we can afford that with a bigger DLine. Hopefully our long answer for an edge rusher.

2nd (from Seattle): Christian Kirk (WR/Texas A&M)

Really like this guy at WR. He reminds me of a poor mans Antonio Brown. We need weapons for Cousins at WR. High production guy in college with good route running. Has ST return value too.

3rd: Andre Dillard (OT/Washington State)

Beachum starts for us in 2018, but Dillard is the future LT for us long term hopefully. He can even battle Shell for a starting RT spot initially.

4th: Micah Kiser (ILB/Virginia)

Highly intelligent LB, makes tackles with great instincts. Not the fastest guy and that’s why he’s available this late. Playing alongside Lee, we can afford a drop in speed for instinct and tackling. He can learn behind Davis for development.

5th: Durham Smythe (TE/ Notre Dame)

Smythe is more a do it all TE unlike ASJ and Leggett. He’s a better blocker than both and has some receiving skills.

6th: Nik Needham (CB/UTEP)

ST guy and depth at CB. Likes to play press coverage.

7th: Michael Badgley (K/ Miami)

Camp battle at K that Cat will win I’m sure.

I am OK with your list in fact I like it. My major worry is the O line & WR as of now the only sure guy coming back is KEARSE, Anderson who gives us a legitimate deep threat, but is a serious head case and could be in a lot of trouble with the league. And Enunwa, coming back is after neck surgery is another question mark. And ASJ has yet to prove he is a go to TE. He is great in the red zone. In fact he was the topic of a sports show down here in Orlando, when he lost two TD pass because of that stupid pass receiving  rule (did the ball move after he had the reception), they weren't blaming him they were blaming the rule. And if we cut Carpenter, we better make sure we have a top replacement for him, because Johnson is the weak link on the O line. I was wrong at the beginning of the 2017 season when I said that there was a good chance the O line would implode during the season, and that didn't happen. I am not knocking you list, I am just worried about the O line & the WR roster. With the three picks we have in the first two rounds, and the money we have, we sure good really upgrade this team in the off season.

5 hours ago, doumeyer said:

I am OK with your list in fact I like it. My major worry is the O line & WR as of now the only sure guy coming back is KEARSE, Anderson who gives us a legitimate deep threat, but is a serious head case and could be in a lot of trouble with the league. And Enunwa, coming back is after neck surgery is another question mark. And ASJ has yet to prove he is a go to TE. He is great in the red zone. In fact he was the topic of a sports show down here in Orlando, when he lost two TD pass because of that stupid pass receiving  rule (did the ball move after he had the reception), they weren't blaming him they were blaming the rule. And if we cut Carpenter, we better make sure we have a top replacement for him, because Johnson is the weak link on the O line. I was wrong at the beginning of the 2017 season when I said that there was a good chance the O line would implode during the season, and that didn't happen. I am not knocking you list, I am just worried about the O line & the WR roster. With the three picks we have in the first two rounds, and the money we have, we sure good really upgrade this team in the off season.

Im confused. Bc in FA I have us upgrading at both LG and C as well as QB obviously with Cousins. And in the draft I have us drafting a WR with our 2nd Rounder from Seattle as well as drafting a TE in Round 5 along with resigning ASJ. I also have us drafting a star RB at 6 and adding a guy that I feel can definitely develop into a starting LT in Round 3. Did you read my off season?

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Im confused. Bc in FA I have us upgrading at both LG and C as well as QB obviously with Cousins. And in the draft I have us drafting a WR with our 2nd Rounder from Seattle as well as drafting a TE in Round 5 along with resigning ASJ. I also have us drafting a star RB at 6 and adding a guy that I feel can definitely develop into a starting LT in Round 3. Did you read my off season?

No no I understand what your list said. But the player moves you made are not guaranteed. You know as well as me nobody knows what is on Mac mind. Their were many of his draft picks in the two years he has been GM that I don't understand, players he picked in the later rounds & some early round picks flat out sucked, and gave us next to nothing.

Archived