Jump to content
coordinator0

Baltimore Ravens 2017-18 Roster Tracker

Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

The cornerback group has been nicked up a lot even this early... not good. 

Smith, Carr, Webb, Humphrey, Hill and Boykin/Price/Canady

 

Despite him not being the player he was, Webbs versatility could be a hidden gem this season in terms of how to manage the roster spots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eh. Sure Webb can be played in the slot... doesn't mean he should though. His value/resurgence last season was being moved back to safety, not as a cornerback. If he's playing there the Ravens are in trouble. To me versatility only goes so far as being effective in playing multiple roles, not just being able to take snaps elsewhere. 

So far I think only Carr, Daniel, Hill, and Porter haven't missed training camp time due to injury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have more faith in Webb than most. Even before converting him to a FS, he wasn't that bad later half of 2015, either. I personally think it was magnified every time he allowed a catch, because people already decided he was done. Playing the slot will, I think, be easier for him than outside. Willing to give him a chance. It's a not a glaring hole like having Shareece Wright at LCB, IMO. But, I am still hoping Canady can come back soon.

Also, I don't care what Pees says, if we need to, we will have to throw Humphrey in there as well.

Edited by wackywabbit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the same thing with Humphrey though. Marlon can be placed there, but I don't think he will be good at it. Not unless the mental side of his game has taken leaps and bounds since joining the NFL. Athletically the guy can be placed at any secondary spot. Just hasn't shown the instincts or awareness to feel comfortable with yet. And that's the hardest thing to project or hope to improve. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well that will help add an O linemen. Is a trade coming our way?? I thought I saw ravens had 5 mil in cap space prior this move, so I assume this guves them close to 10 now?

Edited by paraven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2017 at 3:44 AM, coordinator0 said:

It's the same thing with Humphrey though. Marlon can be placed there, but I don't think he will be good at it. Not unless the mental side of his game has taken leaps and bounds since joining the NFL. Athletically the guy can be placed at any secondary spot. Just hasn't shown the instincts or awareness to feel comfortable with yet. And that's the hardest thing to project or hope to improve. 

To me, Humphrey could be somewhat similar to a Malcolm Jenkins, who was drafted as a cornerback, but quickly became a safety. Humphrey facing the defense where he doesn't have to turn is a scenario, where he could really use his speed and physical talent.

I haven't given up on him as a cornerback, but I  have my doubts, as the ability to turn the head and play the well is something very difficult to learn and doesn't come natural to everybody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, paraven said:

Well that will help add an O linemen. Is a trade coming our way?? I thought I saw ravens had 5 mil in cap space prior this move, so I assume this guves them close to 10 now?

I think it's more likely that the move was done to gain back the required cap buffer room that we had before signing Austin Howard.

The $5m in cap space you saw was probably before the Howard signing - OverTheCap has us at just under $4m in space under the "Rule of 51" prior to the Jimmy Smith restructure - which would be even less once the season started and all the people on the roster & IR would need to be included under the cap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not that I was the biggest fan of the Humphrey pick when it was made (given the board), but I don't think he's nearly as raw a CB as some believe. High profile plays were he was in good position and missed the ball are being focused on too much.

Best corner on the best defense in CFB. Not like he is some small school corner who tested well. Managed to go in the first round of a very good CB draft class for a reason.

Edited by wackywabbit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Not that I was the biggest fan of the Humphrey pick when it was made (given the board), but I don't think he's nearly as raw a CB as some believe. High profile plays were he was in good position and missed the ball are being focused on too much.

Best corner on the best defense in CFB. Not like he is some small school corner who tested well. Managed to go in the first round of a very good CB draft class for a reason.

I don't think any of us see him as a raw cornerback, but there is some essential flaws in his game which will be quite expensive in the NFL. Theres no reason we throw him out there like Panthers did with their cornerbacks last season and it killed them.

The thing is, that if he doesn't learn to play the ball better with his back to it, none of his skills doesn't matter that much.

Also, Sidney Jones was the best cornerback in the draft, until he got injured. I really hope it doesn't hinder him too much and that he can bounce back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, drd23 said:

I think it's more likely that the move was done to gain back the required cap buffer room that we had before signing Austin Howard.

The $5m in cap space you saw was probably before the Howard signing - OverTheCap has us at just under $4m in space under the "Rule of 51" prior to the Jimmy Smith restructure - which would be even less once the season started and all the people on the roster & IR would need to be included under the cap

This. The Ravens had virtually no cap space after bringing in Howard (who has yet to practice...). If they used up all of it under the RUle of 51 then moves would have been made during/before the final roster countdown so the team could stay under the cap going into the regular season. Also:

Ugh. Just to add the likes of Austin Howard...

McFarland also has the Ravens projected at just under $3 million in cap space once the Rule of 51 ends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, drd23 said:

I think it's more likely that the move was done to gain back the required cap buffer room that we had before signing Austin Howard.

The $5m in cap space you saw was probably before the Howard signing - OverTheCap has us at just under $4m in space under the "Rule of 51" prior to the Jimmy Smith restructure - which would be even less once the season started and all the people on the roster & IR would need to be included under the cap

This. The Ravens had virtually no cap space after bringing in Howard (who has yet to practice...). If they used up all of it under the RUle of 51 then moves would have been made during/before the final roster countdown so the team could stay under the cap going into the regular season. Also:

Ugh. Just to add the likes of Austin Howard...

McFarland also has the Ravens projected at just under $3 million in cap space once the Rule of 51 ends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

 

http://thebiglead.com/2017/08/14/baltimore-ravens-prayers-answered-with-thaddeus-lewis-who-last-took-an-nfl-snap-in-december-2013/

Quote

 

You may remember Thad Lewis from such NFL regular season appearances as the 2012 Cleveland Browns and 2013 Buffalo Bills. Those were of course the seasons where Colin Kaepernick was quarterbacking the 49ers in back-to-back NFC Championship Games.

More recently the Duke product spent some time with – but did not actually play for – the 2014 Houston Texans and 2015 Philadelphia Eagles. Lewis was unable to find playing time behind Ryan Fitzpatrick, Case Keenum, Ryan Mallett and Tom Savage on the (9-7) Texans and Sam Bradford and Mark Sanchez on the (7-9) Eagles. He spent last season on the San Francisco 49ers’ injured reserve.

Perhaps youth was a factor in the Ravens decision to pick Lewis off the scrap heap as he is 16 days younger than Kaepernick. Maybe Thad Lewis has a wife or girlfriend who is not as into tweeting out Django Unchained references. Hopefully Ravens fans’ prayers were answered with this signing.

 

9_9

It's almost like all these people don't realize that Lewis, David Olson, Vaughan, etc. are all being brought in to be camp arms.  If one wishes to argue that Colin Kaepernick would be a better QB2, over Mallett, that's a discussion we can have, but the decision here isn't between CK and Thad Lewis...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I've heard some of the media heads bring up that point but not many. Most of them are too concerned about getting their hot take headlines out there. It's awful, but it is what it is at this point.

Although I think replacing Mallett as the backup quarterback could be a real discussion. Hmm...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×