Draft question from an outsider

10Spinbass31

I am an outsider looking for Browns fans perspective. My thoughts are that the Browns shouldn't draft a QB in the first couple rounds this year. I saw a couple of Browns games and Kizer looked like a rookie, but not horrid. Why shouldn't the Browns use the draft to get better pieces around Kizer and give him a chance. Draft Barkley #1, Chubb or Fitzpatrick #4. Second round pick best O-Tackle and either CB or pass rusher depending on how #4 went and a WR. Pick a CB in the 3rd then get another WR, more O-Line depth/competition and more defensive help. Maybe Kizer can be at least average at QB with a better running game, wide receiver help and a better O-line.

Just thinking QB crop this year wasn't very good in college except Mayfield so what makes anyone thinks they are going to be special in the NFL especially the first year. Just my opinion and I may be way off base. Looking forward to reading the responses.

4 minutes ago, 10Spinbass31 said:

I am an outsider looking for Browns fans perspective. My thoughts are that the Browns shouldn't draft a QB in the first couple rounds this year.

Be prepared to have stones thrown at you. Horrific take.

I saw a couple of Browns games and Kizer looked like a rookie, but not horrid.

LOL. I've been watching Browns games for decades and this was EASILY the worst year of QB play I've ever seen. Turnovers, especially in the red zone, accuracy around 50% or LESS in most games...you name it.

Why shouldn't the Browns use the draft to get better pieces around Kizer and give him a chance.

He's not even close to ready, if ever. They've literally tried this approach for 30 years and this is where we are. 

Draft Barkley #1

Yes, draft a RB #1 overall in arguably the most loaded draft EVER at the RB position, on a guy who will almost assuredly still be there at #1. RB has gone #1 overall ZERO times in the last 22 years. The last 2 guys to go #1 overall were Ki-Jana Carter and Bo Jackson (who never played a snap for Tampa Bay). TERRIBle decision.

That said, some here would LOVE him at #4.

Chubb

The guy who isn't even as good as Garrett or Ogbah? Chris Long 2.0? No thanks.

or Fitzpatrick #4.

A contingent here would love that pick.

Second round pick best O-Tackle 

LOL. Why? OL is one of our strengths. It looks like someone believes that untrue national narrative on our OL as somehow being the issue. Name a skill position player on either side of this ball not named Josh Gordon? Most can't.

and either CB

YES

or pass rusher

AFTER drafting Garrett last year and potentially Chubb? WHY????? We also have Ogbah and 3 solid LBs.

depending on how #4 went and a WR. Pick a CB in the 3rd then get another WR, more O-Line depth/competition and more defensive help. Maybe Kizer can be at least average at QB with a better running game, wide receiver help and a better O-line.

This team needs, in this order:

QB

DB-CB AND FS

RB

WR

You have done little to nothing to address this very high. That's unacceptable for an 0-16 team with historically bad QB play for THIRTY YEARS.

Just thinking QB crop this year wasn't very good in college except Mayfield

I would argue this QB class is a good one with Darnold as my clear #1, then Rosen, then Mayfield.

so what makes anyone thinks they are going to be special in the NFL especially the first year.

Almost everyone wants a veteran stopgap like Tyrod Taylor or Ryan Fitzpatrick for a year while Sam/whoever sits and learns.

Just my opinion and I may be way off base. Looking forward to reading the responses.

You are definitely way off base on the QB and who we should draft, but this is Cleveland and our GM/HC will probably find a way to blow the most obvious two picks we've ever had. Thanks for your input though and I in no way, shape, or form intend for you to take this the wrong way. I'm serious. :)

Unlike most here, I still think Kizer has a chance to have a career as a starting NFL QB. He has terrific tools and he's been judged harshly as one of the youngest QB's to ever start the season for an NFL team. The game will slow down for him as he matures and learns. He also had a great attitude throughout a season where he was thrown to the wolves by some not so savvy decision makers and overwhelmed. He's still younger than many of the QBs who will be taken in this upcoming draft.

Having said all that...unless we sign Cousins to a huge contract, we absolutely need to draft a QB with the #1 pick in order to take our best stab at ending decades of misery at the QB position. Kizer is FAR from a sure bet and has some big holes in his game that are going to take a lot of work.

So I think the almost consensus plan is to:

1) Pick up a veteran QB via free agency who can hopefully start the entire 2018 season.

2) Draft whoever we think will be the best QB long term with the #1 pick and let him sit and learn the ropes in 2018.

3) Keep Kizer on the roster in case our FA QB gets injured and to see what becomes of him as he continues to learn/adjust to the pro game. I don't see any upside in trading him for 25 cents on the dollar at this early point in his career.

17 minutes ago, dawgattack said:

Unlike most here, I still think Kizer has a chance to have a career as a starting NFL QB. He has terrific tools and he's been judged harshly as one of the youngest QB's to ever start the season for an NFL team. The game will slow down for him as he matures and learns. He also had a great attitude throughout a season where he was thrown to the wolves by some not so savvy decision makers and overwhelmed. He's still younger than many of the QBs who will be taken in this upcoming draft.

Having said all that...unless we sign Cousins to a huge contract, we absolutely need to draft a QB with the #1 pick in order to take our best stab at ending decades of misery at the QB position. Kizer is FAR from a sure bet and has some big holes in his game that are going to take a lot of work.

So I think the almost consensus plan is to:

1) Pick up a veteran QB via free agency who can hopefully start the entire 2018 season.

2) Draft whoever we think will be the best QB long term with the #1 pick and let him sit and learn the ropes in 2018.

3) Keep Kizer on the roster in case our FA QB gets injured and to see what becomes of him as he continues to learn/adjust to the pro game. I don't see any upside in trading him for 25 cents on the dollar at this early point in his career.

Is this @brownie man with a different ID?

Lmao No!

just cause he likes Kizer don’t mean he’s me!

just means the man got some sense to him!

again you’ve got to draft Darnold at one if you don’t sign Cousins. 

But that doesn’t mean your giving up on Kizer

Hes got talent and could eventually actually develop since right now he’s younger than Baker Mayfield 

Archived