Leisher's 2018 Mock using the Fanspeak.com draft simulator

jleisher

19 hours ago, cooters22 said:

I know we are all beating the drum for a pass rusher, as I am as well. But you still gotta stick to the board and what's given to you. Championship teams pick usually BPA to a point. Now if Vea is on our board say rated the 5th best player and we grab theoretically the 20th best player just because he's a pass rusher, I don't think in the long run that's how you win championships. Please Packerforum let's not forget we have a new sheriff in town that I assume is going to dabble in free agency this year. If we grab a rusher there, and get 2 rushers in the 2nd and 3rd rounds I'd be ok with it. Vea let's not forget actually got his fair share of qb sacks at the college level (so did BJ Raji). But I don't think you can ever have too many bigs and rotate them. Plus I'm not nearly as sold on Dean Lowry as others on here are. I think we definitely can improve there. 

But you're talking about a situational player.  At what point is taking a situational player that high smart use of resources?

19 hours ago, cooters22 said:

I know we are all beating the drum for a pass rusher, as I am as well. But you still gotta stick to the board and what's given to you. Championship teams pick usually BPA to a point. Now if Vea is on our board say rated the 5th best player and we grab theoretically the 20th best player just because he's a pass rusher, I don't think in the long run that's how you win championships. Please Packerforum let's not forget we have a new sheriff in town that I assume is going to dabble in free agency this year. If we grab a rusher there, and get 2 rushers in the 2nd and 3rd rounds I'd be ok with it. Vea let's not forget actually got his fair share of qb sacks at the college level (so did BJ Raji). But I don't think you can ever have too many bigs and rotate them. Plus I'm not nearly as sold on Dean Lowry as others on here are. I think we definitely can improve there. 

First off, creating a hyperbole to prove a point isn't really going to help your argument.  Teams put their board in tiers than numerical rankings, unlike draftniks who put things in a numerical order.  Just because a player might be your "5th ranked player", he might not be that much better than your "20th ranked player".  In fact, the difference could be quite minimal at which point that the level of impact would push towards that 20th ranked player so it gives the illusion that you're taking the "lesser" player even if you're taking the more impactful player.

Secondly, you're getting way too optimistic over adding pass rushers in FA.  Quality ones rarely ever hit FA, and when they do they get drastically overpaid.  Remember Olivier Vernon?  Last year, Jabaal Sheard and John Simon were two of the "best" pass rushers available and they got 3 years, $25.5M and 3 years, $13.5M respectively.  Those two had a combined 8.5 sacks between the two of them.  That's not good value.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:18 PM, CWood21 said:

First off, creating a hyperbole to prove a point isn't really going to help your argument.  Teams put their board in tiers than numerical rankings, unlike draftniks who put things in a numerical order.  Just because a player might be your "5th ranked player", he might not be that much better than your "20th ranked player".  In fact, the difference could be quite minimal at which point that the level of impact would push towards that 20th ranked player so it gives the illusion that you're taking the "lesser" player even if you're taking the more impactful player.

Secondly, you're getting way too optimistic over adding pass rushers in FA.  Quality ones rarely ever hit FA, and when they do they get drastically overpaid.  Remember Olivier Vernon?  Last year, Jabaal Sheard and John Simon were two of the "best" pass rushers available and they got 3 years, $25.5M and 3 years, $13.5M respectively.  Those two had a combined 8.5 sacks between the two of them.  That's not good value.

Aren't we all being optimistic about everything we discuss in this forum?   

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:11 PM, CWood21 said:

But you're talking about a situational player.  At what point is taking a situational player that high smart use of resources?

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:11 PM, CWood21 said:

Vea isn't a situational player. He'd be in a rotation, I'd be willing to bet that eventually he'd play more snaps than Clarke. And I say that only because I believe he has more to offer in his pass rush, not necessarily because he'd be a better player overall. And once again, I'm not beating the drum for Vea, I'm just saying for all we know GB has him rated as the #1 player on their board and if that's the case you draft him. 

8 hours ago, cooters22 said:

Vea isn't a situational player. He'd be in a rotation, I'd be willing to bet that eventually he'd play more snaps than Clarke. And I say that only because I believe he has more to offer in his pass rush, not necessarily because he'd be a better player overall. And once again, I'm not beating the drum for Vea, I'm just saying for all we know GB has him rated as the #1 player on their board and if that's the case you draft him. 

I legitimately don't think you've watched enough of Kenny Clark if you think he's a worse pass rusher than Vita Vea.  Vea is the same "strong as an ox" player who isn't going to have the same success that he did in college because brute strength doesn't win as much as it does in college.  Vea is a good prospect, but he's not this great prospect by any means.

Danny Shelton, Star Lotulelei, Dontari Poe, Michael Brockers, Marcell Dareus, Nick Fairley, and Tyson Alualu

Those are all the top 15 0/1-techs drafted in the last 8 years.

Poe and Dareus are the only ones you would take over Clark. Dareus was a top 3 pick and Poe went 11th. Neither one are still on the team that drafted them. 

Archived