The Cloverfield Paradox(NETFLIX After Superb Owl)

devils1854

Like everybody else said, first half of the movie was excellent and then it slowly faded. Definitely the weakest of the 3 imo. I still cherish the 1st one tho. I LOVED that movie.

It was very brief and forced but at least they held true to their word of showing us an adult. The size of that thing tho ?

If this movie would have just continued with what it created, it might have been a top 100 movie of all time for me. It had a very strong, very effective Philadelphia Experiment vibe going (which I think is something that needs to be remade into a horror movie).  They effed with reality, and weird effing S started happening. 

Light Spoilers:

It set up the grounds for an all-time great cosmos horror the likes of which we've never seen.  People showing up in walls, walls eating arms, arms communicating, worms inexplicably finding their way inside someone.  That eye scene with the Russian was INCREDIBLY creepy.   If they only continued going through that horror and terror into a climax in which the two survivors escaped only to land with Clovie showing up at the end, I would have loved this movie, and the entire Cloverfield trilogy would have been better for me. 

On 2/5/2018 at 10:14 PM, Thelonebillsfan said:

Yeah there's a pretty good reason Paramount just ate the cost and sold this part and parcel to Netflix.

You can CLEARLY tell that the "cloverfield" parts were slapped on to a completely separate movie. Which is fine I guess but I preferred the anthology set up they had going.

Didn’t just eat the cost. They made $10m. I was reading an article how they took a potential money pit and made it a profit. Heard that movie costed around $40m and they sold it to Netflix. Limited marketing no worries about tickets and all that other good stuff. Not a bad idea

On 2/6/2018 at 8:05 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

If this movie would have just continued with what it created, it might have been a top 100 movie of all time for me. It had a very strong, very effective Philadelphia Experiment vibe going (which I think is something that needs to be remade into a horror movie).  They effed with reality, and weird effing S started happening. 

Light Spoilers:

It set up the grounds for an all-time great cosmos horror the likes of which we've never seen.  People showing up in walls, walls eating arms, arms communicating, worms inexplicably finding their way inside someone.  That eye scene with the Russian was INCREDIBLY creepy.   If they only continued going through that horror and terror into a climax in which the two survivors escaped only to land with Clovie showing up at the end, I would have loved this movie, and the entire Cloverfield trilogy would have been better for me. 

For once I agree with you. This could of been one hell of a sci-fi stand alone film. It had a very interesting plot. Something that has really never been made before. 

32 minutes ago, buno67 said:

For once I agree with you. This could of been one hell of a sci-fi stand alone film. It had a very interesting plot. Something that has really never been made before. 

I wish they just stuck with the idea I THOUGHT they were going with for the brand, make them all a kind of sci-fi horror anthology series with very loose easter egg like connective tissue.

Making them directly linked ruins it. It makes me very worried about the WWII movie that's releasing later this year.

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:14 PM, Thelonebillsfan said:

You can CLEARLY tell that the "cloverfield" parts were slapped on to a completely separate movie. Which is fine I guess but I preferred the anthology set up they had going.

Totally agree with this. It's what made me not care for 10 Cloverfield Lane or this movie. Love the first Cloverfield, such a good mix of mystery, horror and suspense.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:05 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

Light Spoilers:

Agreed. It reminded me of Event Horizon, another fantastic sci-fi horror movie that I love. But towards the end of the movie it loses its steam and starts hitting the typical cliché boxes (Commander self-sacrifice, predictable turncoat) and it really didn't explain how or why certain things were happening. Gotta agree, the beginning and middle of the film were 9/10 but it falls off in the final act.

Still a dang good watch.

On 2/8/2018 at 8:45 AM, Thelonebillsfan said:

I wish they just stuck with the idea I THOUGHT they were going with for the brand, make them all a kind of sci-fi horror anthology series with very loose easter egg like connective tissue.

Making them directly linked ruins it. It makes me very worried about the WWII movie that's releasing later this year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cloverfield_Paradox#Plot

The film was based on God Particle, a spec script from Oren Uziel which had the main plot of the space station crew but unconnected to Cloverfield. The script was acquired by Paramount Pictures and Bad Robot in 2012. It had been initially planned as part of Paramount's low-budget InSurge distribution label, but following the folding of that label, its production was expanded as a Paramount-distributed film. Only during production did Abrams decide to link the film to Cloverfield, adapting Uziel's screenplay and adding scenes to establish this connection, following the same approach used by 10 Cloverfield Lane from its original script, The Cellar. Abrams saw the ability to use the particle accelerator accident as a means for future events to cause changes in the past, establishing a way to narratively link the Cloverfield franchise together.

Well it seems like it was never truly supposed to be a Cloverfield type movie. I think they did enough to make it have a loose connection and give it a branding. Doing so they were able to flip it to Netflix for a $10m profit. They knew if they tried to take this thing to theaters it was going flop, hard! If you read more of its wiki page, you can understand why it seemed sloppy and how it never really went together. In reality, it was the perfect netflix movie lol

On 2/5/2018 at 8:38 PM, fluhartz said:

I was so pumped when I saw the trailer last night..

It was ok...IMO the worst of the 3 movies

I agree, but at the same time I don't think it was THAT bad like people are saying. It had issues, but it was entertaining nonetheless. I wasn't disappointed

Archived