BDL Discussion Thread 2018

Jlash

1 minute ago, Jlash said:

Well look at that,  a RB gets a first and third. Wonder what an MVP candidate QB could fetch.

A poke in the eye...obviously a member that just can't let it go...come on man, you gonna keep this up all year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ny92mike said:

A poke in the eye...obviously a member that just can't let it go...come on man, you gonna keep this up all year.

Once you get to know JLash, you will realize that...yes, yes he is.  And probably beyond this year.

• Like 2

Coleman went for a third and he's on an expiring contract. I get two years of an elite player plus an exclusive shot at his prime years plus I'm dumping a bad Treadwell contract.

The Mahomes deal isn't really one I'm trying to compare it to. 

15 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Once you get to know JLash, you will realize that...yes, yes he is.  And probably beyond this year.

Joy....well he won't be getting a christmas card from me this year or the next.

Edited by ny92mike

5 minutes ago, Whicker said:

Coleman went for a third and he's on an expiring contract. I get two years of an elite player plus an exclusive shot at his prime years plus I'm dumping a bad Treadwell contract.

The Mahomes deal isn't really one I'm trying to compare it to. 

I have general issues seeing ANY RB, especially one in the 8-12 range, being worth a top 16 pick and an early 2nd.  

3 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I have general issues seeing ANY RB, especially one in the 8-12 range, being worth a top 16 pick and an early 2nd.  

I explained this in the trade thread too.

BDL is currently saturated with franchise QBs. Every team except maybe Berlin has a QB that can win a BizzBowl. Good QBs have been much more frequently available in FA than bellcow RBs. Saquon Barkley went 1.1 and he and Gordon are on similar planes. Leonard Fournette, Dalvin Cook, and Christian McCaffrey all went in the first round. David Johnson has been the only elite RB available in FA and he was an RFA. I'm certain he would have been 3 UP'd if he had been a UFA.

Also dumping the Treadwell contract isn't nothing. I was wanting to pay a 1st and small change for Gordon. The only way to make the salary work was for Dingo to take on Treadwell's contract, so I traded up a 6th to a 3rd. I was almost certainly downing Treadwell this offseason so that's an important part of it.

6 minutes ago, Whicker said:

I explained this in the trade thread too.

BDL is currently saturated with franchise QBs. Every team except maybe Berlin has a QB that can win a BizzBowl. Good QBs have been much more frequently available in FA than bellcow RBs. Saquon Barkley went 1.1 and he and Gordon are on similar planes. Leonard Fournette, Dalvin Cook, and Christian McCaffrey all went in the first round. David Johnson has been the only elite RB available in FA and he was an RFA. I'm certain he would have been 3 UP'd if he had been a UFA.

1.  No need to attack BDL SuperStar Case Keenum cause I think you overpaid.
2.  I don't disagree with your statement on QBs, they do become available, largely due to prohibitive cap hits.
3.  I do disagree that a 3.9 YPC career rusher is on the same plane as Gurley, Bell, Johnson, Barkley, Fournette, McCaffrey, Kamara, and even some guys like Mixon and Cook.

@Whicker

Even if you think I overpaid, I don't see how this isn't approved. There's a ton of good QBs right now. I get that Mahomes looks truly special but Orlando traded away Russell Wilson for peanuts and still has one of the best teams in the league after picking Rivers up in FA. Sydney had one QB, cut him and then traded for a franchise one. Camden signed a QB in FA that has them plenty competitive. The only good RB that's been available in FA since I've been in BDL has been David Johnson as an RFA. Elite, bellcow backs are worth a ton in BDL IMO.

You do you man...If you feel the value was worth it, that's really all that matters.  Is a first and third a lot to give up, I suppose it is in this sim but the lack of quality in the fa is why I gave a 3rd for Coleman.  Its a highly valued position in this sim with a limited number of quality players.  If you don't have at least one high tiered back in this sim, then you aren't running the ball well if at all. 

Having Gordon and Giovani Bernard really strengthens his offense and gives him options, while weakening his competition.  I'm sure this was factored into the trade negotiations as Sydney traded their starting running back, not the back up but the starter where the rest of the season unless they find better, is David Johnson with no real depth behind him.

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

1.  No need to attack BDL SuperStar Case Keenum cause I think you overpaid.
2.  I don't disagree with your statement on QBs, they do become available, largely due to prohibitive cap hits.
3.  I do disagree that a 3.9 YPC career rusher is on the same plane as Gurley, Bell, Johnson, Barkley, Fournette, McCaffrey, Kamara, and even some guys like Mixon and Cook.

Okay well I think he is. I think he's an elite back who will help my team compete for a BizzBowl this year at the very least. I think he's worth what I hope to be a late 1st in this league. Obviously if I'm heading towards 1.1-1.5 again then I'm not making this trade, but I'm betting on my team and myself here. I'm getting rid of a bad contract too that I've been trying to get rid of for all of the offseason and all of that combined is worth what are essentially a future 1st and 3rd to me. If I overpaid it won't be the first or last time and I think I'll recover if it blows up in my face. 

Lukic has spent a ton of his draft picks on trades for vets and he's got one of the best teams consistently. Orlando had to suck for years before his draft pick hoarding strategy turned the team into a top contender. I'm not a great scout nor a great drafter, but I feel like I've got a good idea of vets after seeing their performances in the NFL and how I can fit them into my team. The Lukic method is one that I feel like I can work better to my advantage. I've been aggressive in my trading for vets this year and so far it's paid off pretty well. 

Approve the trade, please. 

2 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

You do you man...If you feel the value was worth it, that's really all that matters.  Is a first and third a lot to give up, I suppose it is in this sim but the lack of quality in the fa is why I gave a 3rd for Coleman.  Its a highly valued position in this sim with a limited number of quality players.  If you don't have at least one high tiered back in this sim, then you aren't running the ball well if at all. 

Having Gordon and Giovani Bernard really strengthens his offense and gives him options, while weakening his competition.  I'm sure this was factored into the trade negotiations as Sydney traded their starting running back, not the back up but the starter where the rest of the season unless they find better, is David Johnson with no real depth behind him.

I guess I don't value my draft picks as highly as others. For me, very few of my good players right now have been acquired via my drafting. I've acquired the majority of my core players via inheritance, FA, trades, or waivers. People will post their draft histories and there'll be one or two starters from each class. And that's from people who know what they're doing way more than I do. I spent literally hundreds of hours scouting just WRs and interior O-line this offseason and I still couldn't get it right. 

Lack of quality players is a huge part of it. In this league, you're holding on to your bell cow until the wheels fall off. I haven't seen a 3 down, bellcow, RB in FA by choice, ever, in this league. I'm sure there's one I'm forgetting but I can think of a lot of QBs that have become available. Even WR or CB has a better chance of hitting FA IMO. 

• Like 1