Possible Worst Case Mitigation Strategy - Sign Kaepernick in 2018?

Woz

Okay, let me preface this by saying I hope that the Redskins wise up and pay Kirk Cousins what he is going to get. That may no longer match what he truly deserves, but they would now paying for the mistakes of the past three years. They had multiple chances to get him at appropriate value contracts. No longer.

However, let's be realistic. In part due to their reticence to pay Kirk, they've kind of insulted him. So there might not be a price at which the Redskins can effectively keep him. So, what do they do going forward?

Option #1: Roll with Colt McCoy and Nate Sudfeld. I think the front office feels that these two could be NFL caliber starting quarterbacks. Personally, if they believe that, I think they're nuts. The only reason you go with either of these two gentlemen in 2018 is if there are no other options and you missed out on every QB in the 2018 draft.

Option #2: Roll with a rookie QB that you drafted in 2018. Yes, this is likely what you would want to do, but you cannot necessarily plan that this will work out. For instance, this year I don't think most people expected the Chiefs to trade up and get a quarterback (and 3 QBs in the top 12?). Yes, next year looks like it should be deeper, but you cannot roll into the draft expecting to get a QB (unless you end up first overall).

Option #3: Sign a veteran free agent. Right now, the available guys are: Jay Cutler (oh god no), RG3 (no, it ain't happening), Shaun Hill (LONG in the tooth), Christian Ponder (ugh), a bunch of guys who never were starting quality (they already have that) ... and Colin Kaepernick. Next year, the following might be available: Drew Brees (highly unlikely he'll be there), Sam Bradford (maybe, but do you spend the money there?), Matthew Stafford (almost assuredly not available), various one year bridge guys like Josh McCown and Chad Henne, a bunch of meh scrapheap guys, and then maybe Teddy Bridgewater and everyone's favorite projection, Jimmy Garoppolo.

I realize that some might hate his political stances or hate that he politicized the national anthem, but let's leave that off the table (PLEASE do not force me to lock this by having it devolve into a political debate). This is solely a question of whether you would sign Kaepernick as the player to be the Redskins starting QB. Would you sign arguably the best available veteran free agent QB (one who will likely come at discount compared to Garoppolo or the one who loses out between Bradford and Bridgewater) with the idea being that you could roll with him semi-long term/be comfortable not reaching for a QB in the draft? Is it ideal? No, that would be signing Kirk. But do you think it is a viable risk mitigation strategy?

Personally I'd rather go full tank if we lose Cousins and try to land a high pick the following year.  That way we could draft our new QB.  Kaep is going to get us somewhere around 6-7 wins.  That isn't bad enough to get us a QB.  

Call this the John Beck strategy.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Personally I'd rather go full tank if we lose Cousins and try to land a high pick the following year.  That way we could draft our new QB.  Kaep is going to get us somewhere around 6-7 wins.  That isn't bad enough to get us a QB.  

Call this the John Beck strategy.

Only problem with that is that likely costs Gruden his job (as much as I might hope for it to be otherwise, I think Allen survives that).

So now, we're scrambling for a new coach with a GM who is quickly garnering a reputation for not dealing fairly and an owner who cannot get out of his own way on top of a rookie quarterback.

I just might have to bail on this team if they sign Kaepernick. The PR nightmare would only get worse and this team can't deal with that much crap. Its bad enough they can't see a franchise QB in their face and not give him the fair market value he deserves. How would they deal with Kaepernick and this fan base considering Kaepernick has a lot of development things he still needs to work out and his only call to fame was with a defense that beasted out the year they went to the Superbowl.

Kaepernick is the absolute worst thing which could happen to this team. I would rather work with Sudfeld at the helm and deal with that nightmare than to have Kaepernick on the roster. I would take Sam Bradford over Kaepernick. At least with Sudfeld we could actually lose quite a bit, see what we got in Sudfeld, then draft if we need it. 

50 minutes ago, mike23md said:

I just might have to bail on this team if they sign Kaepernick. The PR nightmare would only get worse and this team can't deal with that much crap. Its bad enough they can't see a franchise QB in their face and not give him the fair market value he deserves. How would they deal with Kaepernick and this fan base considering Kaepernick has a lot of development things he still needs to work out and his only call to fame was with a defense that beasted out the year they went to the Superbowl.

Kaepernick is the absolute worst thing which could happen to this team. I would rather work with Sudfeld at the helm and deal with that nightmare than to have Kaepernick on the roster. I would take Sam Bradford over Kaepernick. At least with Sudfeld we could actually lose quite a bit, see what we got in Sudfeld, then draft if we need it. 

I completely agree with the bolded.

For the record, this was me just throwing an idea out there. As far as I know, there are not even hints of rumors that they are planning this. Whereas in most years there are no real viable free agent quarterbacks, 2018 might be doable between Bradford/Bridgewater and Garoppolo. However, Kaepernick has the most experience and the least injury issues of that crowd. I don't know if it would work (I'm a bit dubious to be honest), but as I said, this was "oh crap now what do we do?!" planning.

Colt McCoy, a rookie & Sudfeld if Kirk is gone next year. Kap is just a slightly better version of RG3. He doesn't fit our offense and unlike what I thought when Gruden was hired, it doesn't seem he's going to change his offense and cater it to a player. He wants players on the team that fit his system.

Archived