Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Eh, maybe the language is different, but in most cases teams don’t move on from QB’s that quickly if they can play, which Cousins can.

The first two years AT LEAST are essentially guaranteed anyway, one more isn’t crazy imo.

Correct on the years part, but the $84 million part with the guarantee is potentially groundbreaking. 

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What about the guarantee do you mean?

The part where the entire $84-$86 million, whichever it is, is fully guaranteed. 100% of the contract.

I imagine Aaron Rodgers will double down on this precedent, only ask for 5 years when he hits the open market.

I imagine every other "Franchise QB" will then double down on this as well.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The part where the entire $84-$86 million, whichever it is, is fully guaranteed. 100% of the contract.

Sure, but the length of the contract allows for that.  Most of the top QB’s contracts are all guaranteed completely In practicality if they play well, Cousins gets the actual guarantees, but forgoes the extra years, which for him should be a win.

I imagine Aaron Rodgers will double down on this precedent, only ask for 5 years when he hits the open market.

Maybe, but 5 years is a lot different than 3.  I’d image 3 years is the upper end of where teams will feel comfortable with this.

I imagine every other "Franchise QB" will then double down on this as well.

Perhaps, it’s definitely possible. 

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This is essentially what happened with Cousins, they didn’t think he was worth all that money.

Alex Smith came significantly cheaper.

Well, looking at the contracts they both received, I would have gone with Kirk all the way. I don't know what the Redskins are doing over there. I like Alex, but he's due for a drop off very soon and already wasn't as good as Kirk. Of course there is much less guaranteed for Alex, as he is getting 23 per year for 4 years and cousins is getting 28 per year for 3 years. The hundred percent guaranteed is groundbreaking and all, but I'll take Kirk + 5 mil all day over Alex Smith, and I really like Alex Smith. Minnesota is going to be terrifying next year.

1 minute ago, NudeTayne said:

Well, looking at the contracts they both received, I would have gone with Kirk all the way. I don't know what the Redskins are doing over there. I like Alex, but he's due for a drop off very soon and already wasn't as good as Kirk. The of course there is much less guaranteed Alex is getting 23 per year for 4 years and cousins is getting 28 per year for 3 years. The hundred percent is groundbreaking and all, but I'll take Kirk + 5 mil all day over Alex Smith, and I really like Alex Smith. Minnesota is going to be terrifying next year.

All Minny has to do is draft for their o-line.

1 minute ago, NudeTayne said:

Well, looking at the contracts they both received, I would have gone with Kirk all the way. I don't know what the Redskins are doing over there. I like Alex, but he's due for a drop off very soon and already wasn't as good as Kirk. The of course there is much less guaranteed Alex is getting 23 per year for 4 years and cousins is getting 28 per year for 3 years. The hundred percent is groundbreaking and all, but I'll take Kirk + 5 mil all day over Alex Smith, and I really like Alex Smith. Minnesota is going to be terrifying next year.

Cousins my not have played in Washington for the same deal though.

How much of a “discount” did Minny get as a contender?

3 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

All Minny has to do is draft for their o-line.

Yep. In Minnesota seems to have the right needs for the right draft. Interior offensive line is super deep, and a player like Isaiah Win 4 will Hernandez will be sitting there when they draft.. But I wish them the best. I like the Vikings. I like their fans too, so I can't really hate on them. Also, they need defensive tackle and cornerback. Both of those are very deep in this draft. What a time to be a Minnesota Vikings fan. They are set up to compete for years.

Cousins my not have played in Washington for the same deal though.

How much of a “discount” did Minny get as a contender?

We'll never know, of course; However, with a top quarterback available in free agency and the advantages that go with that, I am willing to guess that it was about a wash between taking advantage of the open market and going where a quarterback can win as far as money was concerned.

Also, Smith’s cap number this year is “only” 17 million.

That’s a top tier free agent or a couple solid vets.

Doesn't that mean that his cap in year 2 and or 3 will be super high? Now I'm curious about how the Kirk Cousins contract will be. I wonder if it will be the same as Alex's, or if Alex is rob Peter to pay Paul. It would be kind of ironically funny if Alex Smith's second and third years of his contract we're essentially 28 million apiece like Kirk's.

Archived