Jaguars Free Agents/Free Agency thread

.Buzz

So...what exactly are they making all this cap space for?  Has anyone figured that out yet?  Or is it just going to sit, unused?

Are we going into this year of our contending window with slightly damp powder, because they want to roll over space into next year?

17 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

So...what exactly are they making all this cap space for?  Has anyone figured that out yet?  Or is it just going to sit, unused?

Are we going into this year of our contending window with slightly damp powder, because they want to roll over space into next year?

With the Hurns/Cedes/Telvin moves, it puts us at $22M in cap space.

you have to believe they are gonna roll it over into next year. It also gives them flexibility to make another “Dareus” type move mid-season.

25 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

With the Hurns/Cedes/Telvin moves, it puts us at $22M in cap space.

you have to believe they are gonna roll it over into next year. It also gives them flexibility to make another “Dareus” type move mid-season.

Flexibility is all well and good, and obviously helping create some room to retain guys down the road is nice too...But this year is quite possibly our best shot at a Super Bowl.  While we have a bunch of key guys on absolute steal rookie deals.  It gives us the opportunity to put that extra bit of money into more weapons or playmakers and talent to really push things over the top.

The window on an elite defense isn't long.  A bit of rollover cap space might help retain some guys after this year, but it's going to become massively more difficult to keep the group together and at a sustained elite level of play regardless.  Gonna have to keep a steady flow of high-end talent via that draft (outperforming the average) either way, and make tough choices in letting good players go...just to have any chance at maintaining a high level.

There's being smart and cautious with the cap, and then there's going into a season half-cocked, with a team that isn't as good as it could be, because you're "saving for the future".  When the future is very likely right now.

Saving for the future just seems like a weird top priority, in a year where there should be legitimate contender aspirations.

35 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Flexibility is all well and good, and obviously helping create some room to retain guys down the road is nice too...But this year is quite possibly our best shot at a Super Bowl.  While we have a bunch of key guys on absolute steal rookie deals.  It gives us the opportunity to put that extra bit of money into more weapons or playmakers and talent to really push things over the top.

The window on an elite defense isn't long.  A bit of rollover cap space might help retain some guys after this year, but it's going to become massively more difficult to keep the group together and at a sustained elite level of play regardless.  Gonna have to keep a steady flow of high-end talent via that draft (outperforming the average) either way, and make tough choices in letting good players go...just to have any chance at maintaining a high level.

There's being smart and cautious with the cap, and then there's going into a season half-cocked, with a team that isn't as good as it could be, because you're "saving for the future".  When the future is very likely right now.

Saving for the future just seems like a weird top priority, in a year where there should be legitimate contender aspirations.

I get what you’re saying. They obviously have an eye on the present and the future.

Obviously they are going to have to give Jalen ($20M per year?), Yannick, Myles (if they are confident he will play at a high level for a long time with them knees), DFJ (still on the fence with this one) new deals.

I peaked ahead to 2020 and I don’t expect many of the guys on defense still being around by that time. Dareus, Campbell, maybe Malik, Church and Gip. They should definitely start looking for replacements at the DT/S positions.

Bortles: 18M saved, Dareus: 14.6M saved, Calais: 16M saved, Malik: 13.75M saved, Church: 6.75M saved, Gip: 7.8M saved

As of now, we have $171M tied up to 20 players in 2020. That doesn’t include the youngins mentioned above.

Releasing the guys mentioned above (if they did it after the 2019 season) frees up $77M in cap room.

Yannick/DT?/DT?/Smoot 

Myles/Telvin

Ramsey/FS?/SS?/Bouye/Slot?

No doubt are best chance to compete for a SB will be in 2018 and 2019 but I feel like with the young talent we have, we are going to be competitive for a while. Just gotta keep drafting well. 

7 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

I get what you’re saying. They obviously have an eye on the present and the future.

Obviously they are going to have to give Jalen ($20M per year?), Yannick, Myles (if they are confident he will play at a high level for a long time with them knees), DFJ (still on the fence with this one).

I peaked ahead to 2020 and I don’t expect many of the guys on defense still being around by that time. Dareus, Campbell, maybe Malik, Church and Gip. They should definitely start looking for replacements at the DT/S positions.

Bortles: 18M saved, Dareus: 14.6M saved, Calais: 16M saved, Malik: 13.75M saved, Church: 6.75M saved, Gip: 7.8M saved

As of now, we have $171M tied up to 20 players in 2020. That doesn’t include the youngins mentioned above.

Releasing the guys mentioned above (if they did it after the 2019 season) frees up $77M in cap room.

Yannick/DT?/DT?/Smoot 

Myles/Telvin

Ramsey/FS?/SS?/Bouye/Slot?

No doubt are best chance to compete for a SB will be in 2018 and 2019 but I feel like with the young talent we have, we are going to be competitive for a while. Just gotta keep drafting well. 

I just look at that Denver defense as a little peak into the potential future for us.  I feel like it was similarly built to ours in terms of some young stars but with a healthy dose of impact veteran help brought in as well.  As guys have aged out (or been forced out due to $$$), they've slipped from an absolutely Elite defense, to just a solid one...in a pretty short timeframe.  As long as we have guys like Jalen, Yan, Telvin, etc., they're hopefully going to keep our defense in reasonably okay shape as the core.  But maintaining that same elite level seems unlikely.

When you break our defense down like that for the future...it's possible that they continue to draft well and replenish talent as it ages out, but there are only so many picks to go around (and obviously the offense needs work, and continued replenishment as well).  We're talking about replacing 2 of our top 5 players on the team essentially, along with effectively the entire back end of our awesome secondary and a collection of other pieces.  Plus trying to build the offense.  All within roughly that sort of timeframe.  That's a colossal undertaking.

Whereas right now, this unit is one of, if not the best unit in the league.  Which is why i'd like to see them capitalize on that by moving more chips to the middle of the table for 2018, and 2019.  Rather than keeping a bunch in reserve to slightly help deal with the problems that are still going to crop up down the road anyway, with the salary cap and young star players coming off rookie deals, key players (including our best player) aging out, etc.

But it certainly appears that they're keeping a fairly significant amount of their cap resources in reserve, presumably to roll it over for next year.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

I mean, we haven't really released anyone in the past few days that hurts our chances contending. I like Hurns and Lewis but the releases make sense as hard as it hurts us as fans. 

There's still some solid FAs out there too so we'll have to wait and see if they are eyeing anyone else.

17 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I agree

We are clearing all this cap space but why? Unless we extend some people we basically made our roster worse now with no help towards the future 

No help towards the future? If we aren't signing people this is all about the future as it points to opening up $$ for Jack/Ramsey/Ngakoue etc.

Hurns wasn't worth a $7M cap hit with his injury problems/falling behind the young guys at WR. Marcedes wanted a pay raise due to ASJ making more than him and was threatening to sit camp. He is still a solid blocking TE but brought little in the receiving game. Neither guy is putting that much of a dent in our team for next year. I love 'em both, but we gotta be realistic on what each has brought the past couple years and how old they are (this is more about Marcedes, he had his best year in a while last year but he's also 32/33 years old).

For all we know they also may be looking at guys that are out there still too. Impossible to know. But if Hurns resisted a pay cut and he was clearly behind our top 4 receivers (which I sort of feel like he was/our new regime wasn't high on him), than I'm not sure what the point of having a 5th WR making $7M is besides if an injury comes up. Better off drafting a guy for something like that though.

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

No help towards the future? If we aren't signing people this is all about the future as it points to opening up $$ for Jack/Ramsey/Ngakoue etc.

Hurns wasn't worth a $7M cap hit with his injury problems/falling behind the young guys at WR. Marcedes wanted a pay raise due to ASJ making more than him and was threatening to sit camp. He is still a solid blocking TE but brought little in the receiving game. Neither guy is putting that much of a dent in our team for next year. I love 'em both, but we gotta be realistic on what each has brought the past couple years and how old they are (this is more about Marcedes, he had his best year in a while last year but he's also 32/33 years old).

For all we know they also may be looking at guys that are out there still too. Impossible to know. But if Hurns resisted a pay cut and he was clearly behind our top 4 receivers (which I sort of feel like he was/our new regime wasn't high on him), than I'm not sure what the point of having a 5th WR making $7M is besides if an injury comes up. Better off drafting a guy for something like that though.

I dont think you get what i mean. Cutting Hurns now instead of next season is a waste if we dont use that money to extend those guys now because if we cut him next year we’d have him for a year and then have the money. 

28 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I dont think you get what i mean. Cutting Hurns now instead of next season is a waste if we dont use that money to extend those guys now because if we cut him next year we’d have him for a year and then have the money. 

Roll over cap.

And as KYDI said, we can't extend those guys until after their third season.

Archived