2018 NFL Combine (measurements in OP)

goldfishwars

53 minutes ago, CalhounLambeau said:

Not surprised at all with Orlando Brown's numbers. We knew he was sluggish with an odd body. The 40 was always going to be bad. He's naturally powerful and was never a weight room guy. I didn't figure he would bench press much. The video tells you what he is. Nothing new here. People can make it into whatever story line they want. 

His low bench score is whatever. I don't think it really tells you much about their strength.

But, I heard a former NFL personnel guy say that teams look at low bench scores for offensive linemen as more of a red flag for work ethic than strength, because if a guy is going hard in the weight room they will put up respectable numbers at least. And, that personnel guy who said that was Bryan Broaddus who was the first employee hired by Ron Wolf and was instrumental in some very good drafts.

That isn't the type of player you want anywhere near your team.

I want players that are gonna give everything they have.

Saquon Barkley who while training for the combine after finishing his workout would go and find other guys who hadn't finished and would complete their workout with them just so nobody outworked him. That is a guy who is a top 10 pick at worst with nothing to prove, but still goes the extra mile.

Orlando "What the Zeus?" Brown followed up on his 14-rep bench-press by waddling a 5.86 in the 40-yd dash, with a 2.00 10-yd split:

• Oklahoma’s Orlando Brown ran an unofficial 5.86. He’s one of the best offensive linemen in the class, but most lineman ran in the early 5.0s in 2017. Mike Mayock called it a “historically bad time.”

-Scouts made use of a new technology to get the most accurate read possible for Orlando's sprint:

Image result for sun dial

31 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Orlando Brown's performance might be the best thing for him. The things that he has going for him is his size and really good film. He needs a good trainer, a better agent he'll probably end up in a good situation where he can work on those things. I just think he still has upside. Play at 325, lean up and work on his knee bend, he could easily be a 8 -10 year starter in the right system.

It really could be a blessing in disguise for him. He needs work and so far he's shown he still has a long way to go on improving his body to be ready for the NFL

33 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I think deadlifts would be a significantly better measure for the combine vs bench press. 

Bench press 225x15 times? Nice. I'll let you know if I need to move a couch. Deadlift 315x15 times? OK, let's get your jersey sized for you.

Overhead squat and cleans >>>

32 minutes ago, Danger said:

More of a concern than the poor combine results is his character at this point. Not someone I want on my football team if he's going to behave like that.

lol Matt Miller admitted he doesn't know the guy, he has no business judging whether or not Brown is trying. Marcus Mosher with the insight of the year: NFL coaches yelling at player during a drill. I'll share a secret with you, those coaches are yelling at everyone there. Pathetic those guys would jump on Brown and try to drag him over nothing. They're just jumping on the new narrative being creative by his poor bench and run. There are absolutely zero character issues with Orlando Brown. 

34 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

A guy who’s been as heavy as 365 showing off laziness at the combine is absolute worst case scenario for him. I still don’t see him making it out of the top 100 but the day has just begun and he couldn’t be hurting himself more than he is.

He was over 400 in high school. Calling him lazy is incredibly lazy

3 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

lol Matt Miller admitted he doesn't know the guy, he has no business judging whether or not Brown is trying. Marcus Mosher with the insight of the year: NFL coaches yelling at player during a drill. I'll share a secret with you, those coaches are yelling at everyone there. Pathetic those guys would jump on Brown and try to drag him over nothing. They're just jumping on the new narrative being creative by his poor bench and run. There are absolutely zero character issues with Orlando Brown. 

Neither of them dragged him......

Miller just made an observation and Mosher just noted what happened.

It's not like they said that this shows he's lazy and doesn't care.

C'mon man.

24 minutes ago, Da_Ducktator said:

My biggest concern with Orlando Brown's workout is he just looks sloppy. The guy looks like he has barely trained for this day. Have to wonder what he has been doing the last few months to get ready for this. At least his former teammate Du'Vonta Lumpkin, has been working out with Verne Troyer.

He's been working with Jammal Brown for a while now

Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

Neither of them dragged him......

Miller just made an observation and Mosher just noted what happened.

It's not like they said that this shows he's lazy and doesn't care.

C'mon man.

They're singling him out by portraying a dishonest image about him. Everyone is getting yelled at but it's only a negative narrative for Brown. He "looks like he's not trying" even though Miller has no way to know what it looks like when he's trying or not. Other guys are moving slow but there isn't a negative narrative being made about them. They're both clearly trying to jump onto the bandwagon of dragging him over nonsense. 

Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

He never should've been over 400 lbs in high school unless there were some circumstances to justify that weight gain.

He was a kid being fed a lot of food. That was the circumstance that led to that. Now he's an adult on a disciplined diet and lost a lot of weight. Look at you criticizing soemone for being overweight as a teenager.

The Urlacher comparisons look better now that we know he's actually that big. Interesting. He's almost identical to Edmunds, who everyone says is some huge, athletic, transcendent prospect. LVE is more refined. Will be interesting to watch them test side by side.

Archived