Rival Talk 101

Lionized

2 hours ago, Rockcity2 said:

Exactly he has issue in traffic. So why not use him on the outside..screens slants.

He's a matchup guy

Not defending anything just think we could/should of been more creative with him. Not just run out routes every time he's out there. 

He would run the wrong routes to the point where Stafford wouldn't even look his way when he was wide open and would drop nearly everything thrown his way. He wasn't a strong blocker either. He absolutely made some plays towards the end of the season, however he wasn't worth the $8.25M price tag for us. I would have expected $4.5 - $5.5 on a 3 year deal for a team banking on the fact that a) we didn't use him properly (I disagree) and b) he's young and has a lot of upside (TBD). It's shocking that the Colts are paying $7.5M for the guy. Luke Wilson is a great grab for us at 1/3 of the cost. Local kid, improved blocking from a guy that can still make some plays. This will allow us to address other positions of need.

3 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

He would run the wrong routes to the point where Stafford wouldn't even look his way when he was wide open and would drop nearly everything thrown his way. He wasn't a strong blocker either. He absolutely made some plays towards the end of the season, however he wasn't worth the $8.25M price tag for us. I would have expected $4.5 - $5.5 on a 3 year deal for a team banking on the fact that a) we didn't use him properly (I disagree) and b) he's young and has a lot of upside (TBD). It's shocking that the Colts are paying $7.5M for the guy. Luke Wilson is a great grab for us at 1/3 of the cost. Local kid, improved blocking from a guy that can still make some plays. This will allow us to address other positions of need.

Ya I get the money thing.. And is the reason I too would let him go. Not sure your point..

You apparently don't think he can get better or be used differently 

6 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I'm out of likes for today so I'm quoting this to like it because it needs to be seen. 

Why is there a limit on "likes" especially this time of season with so much activity? 

4 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

Ya I get the money thing.. And is the reason I too would let him go. Not sure your point..

You apparently don't think he can get better or be used differently 

I'm not sure if he could have been used any differently or better. We'll have to wait and see on that. If the Lions were totally sold on him, there's no way that he's winding up in another uniform next season. If he's Rob Gronkowski or Jimmy Graham (in his prime), we would likely be giving him a 4-5 year contract. You don't let guys like that walk if you can work out a deal that is a win-win for both sides.

I think both sides needed to go their separate ways. Ebron was never going to live up to his draft selection (not his fault) but his play and attitude were hardly going to help him either. He could wind up as a solid Tier 2 TE and have success with the Colts. I'm just glad that the Lions aren't paying the hefty cost to see how things go with him in his development.

9 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I'm out of likes for today so I'm quoting this to like it because it needs to be seen. 

Why is there a limit on "likes" especially this time of season with so much activity? 

No worries my man. I'm not too sure how this works with the likes. Maybe you'll have to reserve them for things that are REALLY good?

5 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I'm not sure if he could have been used any differently or better. We'll have to wait and see on that. If the Lions were totally sold on him, there's no way that he's winding up in another uniform next season. If he's Rob Gronkowski or Jimmy Graham (in his prime), we would likely be giving him a 4-5 year contract. You don't let guys like that walk if you can work out a deal that is a win-win for both sides.

I think both sides needed to go their separate ways. Ebron was never going to live up to his draft selection (not his fault) but his play and attitude were hardly going to help him either. He could wind up as a solid Tier 2 TE and have success with the Colts. I'm just glad that the Lions aren't paying the hefty cost to see how things go with him in his development.

Do you think Wilson and roberts produce more?

Without bringing up money bc again I know

16 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

Do you think Wilson and roberts produce more?

Without bringing up money bc again I know

I think they're going to bring in another TE - either a FA or someone in the draft. Ideally I'd like to see us get some extra picks (trade or trade down) and bring in Mark Andrews, Geisicki or one of the other TE prospects. A 3rd - 4th round guy can likely develop into what Ebron was offering at a fraction of the cost.

I don't know if Wilson, Roberts and whatever other TE combination will produce the same as with Fells/Ebron. However we have 2x1,000 yard receivers already on the roster and a young stud in Golloday that is looking to take the next step. Golloday can definitely pick up some of the load from Ebron's departure.

18 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

Neither are known for being blockers

We need to actually bring our passing game down a tad and increase our rushing attack. The offense has been far too off-balance as it is. The improved blocking will help our rushing attack and in turn help the offense improve overall. I don't know about Roberts but Wilson is known for his blocking and being able to contribute in the passing attack as well.

Ebron was drafted as a one-dimensional field-stretching TE that could develop as a blocker. He was expected to help take pressure off of Calvin in the middle of the field. He wasn't producing as a receiver like he was expected to and his blocking was average at best. The Colts are paying for the guy who was playing the last half of the season... not the guy that we've seen on the field since he was drafted.

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I think they're going to bring in another TE - either a FA or someone in the draft. Ideally I'd like to see us get some extra picks (trade or trade down) and bring in Mark Andrews, Geisicki or one of the other TE prospects. A 3rd - 4th round guy can likely develop into what Ebron was offering at a fraction of the cost.

I don't know if Wilson, Roberts and whatever other TE combination will produce the same as with Fells/Ebron. However we have 2x1,000 yard receivers already on the roster and a young stud in Golloday that is looking to take the next step. Golloday can definitely pick up some of the load from Ebron's departure.

Ya so now let's spend a pick when we just did on roberts...what the hell  they/you looking for.. If we spend a pick on a te before rd 5 I'm gonna flip

Btw you didn't answer the question. 

Will Wilson and roberts out produce one Ebron next yr

Archived