The Jarvis Landry Thread

DreamKid

I just remembered the Jarvis Landry domestic violence incident. There's even a video of him pushing the mother of his child with force against her will into a car, dude ain't coming near Baltimore. The Ravens have eased up lately with some of the character concern players they'll take on, but a player who was accused of domestic violence and the incident or one of them is one video? Forget it. 

The financial issues of giving him 14 mill are enough to turn most fans off but this should be the nail in the coffin. I'm sick of all this restructuring nonsense anyway, it'd be nice to go out from under the cap and not make it a yearly issue. We have some big contracts looming and we need to be in position to make the best decision for our team, not handcuffed one way or the other.

15 hours ago, DreamKid said:

As I mentioned earlier I don't think Landry would be a target for us because of his DV run in and video, but check out this crazy post done by a Bears fan about Landry. Really paints a picture about what he could bring to our offense. 

http://www.bearsfansonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12180&p=194547&hilit=vintage+jay#p194547

We don't have the luxury at this point on passing up players with maybe a history of DV (I'm not super familiar with his DV case). Landry is a rare talent, and to pass that up because we're scared of the PR (when in reality, it doesn't seem to be stopping any other teams) would be stupid IMO. 

1 hour ago, Darth Pees said:

We don't have the luxury at this point on passing up players with maybe a history of DV (I'm not super familiar with his DV case). Landry is a rare talent, and to pass that up because we're scared of the PR (when in reality, it doesn't seem to be stopping any other teams) would be stupid IMO. 

Agreed... Nobody is even talking about the DV situation except us and to be honest there is a big difference between forcing ur ole lady into a car and knocking her out in a public elevator. In this particular situation he either leaves her and is looked at as abandoning her on the street or do what he did and be viewed in a negative light... either way this is no ray rice situation and after joe mixon last year I think the entire league believes in redemption 

The 14 mill bothers me more than the DV incident, it just a matter of how the team feels. The league is full of morally reprehensible people by normal standards, and people who have seen nothing in their life but dysfunctional relationships since they've been children. When those people then have millions of dollars, you have to accept that the opportunity for those dysfunctional relationships to be replicated has multiplied greatly, and flare ups will occur.

The grey area of Landry's situation and how tame it is compared to other case closed violent DV incidents in the NFL, might allow us to bring him in free of issue, but the Raven fanbase is in a state of turmoil right now and kicking the nest so to speak might be too loud a move for the FO to make as they get closer to signing him. Then again they might feel the prospect of winning more games could erode any negative fan sentiment. 

As a player he would be a great addition and a rock for our core foundation at WR, he would bring many of the things Anquan did to our offense and more, and he's built to play for us. 

Landry isn't going to be a Raven. Someone is going to offer him more than the Ravens can afford, and that's where he'll go. Browns, Colts, 49ers, Jets and Titans all have between $50million and $110million in cap space for the coming year. The Redskins and Bears have over $40million. And most of those teams have the combination of a good young QB (or the prospect of drafting one) and the need for more offensive pieces.

34 minutes ago, Mancunian Raven said:

Landry isn't going to be a Raven. Someone is going to offer him more than the Ravens can afford, and that's where he'll go. Browns, Colts, 49ers, Jets and Titans all have between $50million and $110million in cap space for the coming year. The Redskins and Bears have over $40million. And most of those teams have the combination of a good young QB (or the prospect of drafting one) and the need for more offensive pieces.

There's a cap on what he legitimately can get though. He's asking for 14 mill a year, it's not like teams with more money are going to keep driving that figure up until he gets 22 mill a year or something crazy. The Ravens are a better organization than all the teams you mentioned and have a long history of being a premier destination for FAs, WRs especially. Very rarely has there been a free agent we couldn't get if we really went at them.

On 2/18/2018 at 9:45 AM, Mancunian Raven said:

Agreed. I think he’s going to look for a heavy weight top contract. And some team will be foolish enough to overpay to that degree. So combined with what he’ll ask and his domestic violence situation, I think the Ravens will choose to pass on him for other options.

5 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Only reason I said "might" is because it technically hasn't happened yet.  There is definitely no way anyone would pay the price a franchise tag entails for Landry

Except the Dolphins ? 

Well I’m glad. Didn’t want him anyway. My target hasn’t changed. Jimmy Graham, let’s get a talented veteran. That’s what we’ll need on an offense that will likely have many young components to it after this draft, he fits the bill.

Damn. I thought we really had a good shot at Landry. I guess now, Jimmy Graham is the #1 target for this team. 

I’m all for it...and signing an under the radar WR like a Jordan Matthews, Albert Wilson, Donte Moncrief, or Marqise Lee. 

Bring back Wallace on 1 year deal and be aggressive and target the best WR you love in this class by any means necessary in the 1st round.

Archived