The Lions Den: Visiting Free Agents

X_Factor_40

4 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I would have liked to have gotten Hyde for what the Browns paid for him. Draft a RB and see what you can get for Abdullah on the open market. 

I'm okay with waiting for free agents spots to dry up and getting deals. But there are fans on there demanding the Lions sign Suh or Le'Veon Bell. One guy went on a rant about the Lions needing LBs, as if they haven't signed 2 FAs and re-signed one of their own. Another one said the Lions needed to sign a CB or a DB. As if DB doesn't include CB and they didn't re-sign Lawson and Wilson already. Just ignorant. 

I deleted my Twitter account a while ago. Just too much going on to keep up. There is also far too much time wasted with people that dip their toes on a variety of subjects with zero background knowledge. Twitter fans are the equivalent of nearly every Patriots fan.

There have been a few deals where I have wondered why we didn't make a move on it. Hyde would be one of those. Not sure why he chose the Browns over us but we also might have really undercut him in comparison. I don't like the looks at Gore... unless you're bringing him in a Ridley-type deal where you're throwing 5 guys at 3 spots and seeing what sticks.

Bell is never going to happen. Suh is a maybe but it would only be because he is willing to take a paycut. I highly doubt it so it's probably not going to happen.

We still need another LB but I do think that Kennard, Jones and Bellore (+ Davis and Maybin) mean we don't HAVE to take one rd 1/rd 2. We could still bring in Evans or Landry at 20 but we aren't forced to. I think they're looking at a starting CB opposite of Slay, which I can agree is still a need. However there's still a lot of time to resolve that in FA and the draft.

3 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I deleted my Twitter account a while ago. Just too much going on to keep up. There is also far too much time wasted with people that dip their toes on a variety of subjects with zero background knowledge. Twitter fans are the equivalent of nearly every Patriots fan.

There have been a few deals where I have wondered why we didn't make a move on it. Hyde would be one of those. Not sure why he chose the Browns over us but we also might have really undercut him in comparison. I don't like the looks at Gore... unless you're bringing him in a Ridley-type deal where you're throwing 5 guys at 3 spots and seeing what sticks.

Bell is never going to happen. Suh is a maybe but it would only be because he is willing to take a paycut. I highly doubt it so it's probably not going to happen.

We still need another LB but I do think that Kennard, Jones and Bellore (+ Davis and Maybin) mean we don't HAVE to take one rd 1/rd 2. We could still bring in Evans or Landry at 20 but we aren't forced to. I think they're looking at a starting CB opposite of Slay, which I can agree is still a need. However there's still a lot of time to resolve that in FA and the draft.

I agree with almost all of this, I don't mind the look at Gores though. Our run game really is that horrible. 90 yr old Frank Gore would still be an upgrade. If we could sign him to a 1 yr prove it deal and draft a RB. I wouldn't mind. We need all the help we can get in that area and even his declining ability is better than what we've had at the position for years. 

2 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I agree with almost all of this, I don't mind the look at Gores though. Our run game really is that horrible. 90 yr old Frank Gore would still be an upgrade. If we could sign him to a 1 yr prove it deal and draft a RB. I wouldn't mind. We need all the help we can get in that area and even his declining ability is better than what we've had at the position for years. 

I would have preferred J-Stew over Murray and/or Gore. I wouldn't hate bringing in Gore or Murray as competition. Abdullah, Riddick, Green, Gore/Murray + Rookie.. see what happens.

I might even be more inclined to bring in AP.

I do think that Abdullah will be traded but unless you get value and/or just want to dump him regardless, might as well keep him around.

Dream scenario would be Ebron + Abdullah for Ingram.

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I would have preferred J-Stew over Murray and/or Gore. I wouldn't hate bringing in Gore or Murray as competition. Abdullah, Riddick, Green, Gore/Murray + Rookie.. see what happens.

I might even be more inclined to bring in AP.

I do think that Abdullah will be traded but unless you get value and/or just want to dump him regardless, might as well keep him around.

Dream scenario would be Ebron + Abdullah for Ingram.

Riddick is mostly a receiver out of the backfield. We should move him to the slot. Tion Green did alright, but IMO, it looked good because everything else was so bad. I don't trust him being a solid contributor moving forward. I think this is Abdullah's last chance to show something. 

Draft a rookie RB, sign a vet on a prove it deal, Abdullah last chance, Tion Green or Dwayne Washington just because Zenner is a FA. Move Riddick to slot WR behind Golden Tate. 

QB- Matthew Stafford

RB- Abdullah/Rookie/Vet/depth

TE- Ebron/Roberts/draft pick?

WR- Marvin Jones/??????

LT- Taylor Decker/

LG- ?????????/Joe Dahl

C- Graham Glasgow

RG- T.J. Lang/Joe Dahl

RT- Rick Wagner/

WR- Kenny Golladay/Golden Tate

Slot- Golden Tate/Theo Riddick

Gore is pretty unexciting, but I feel like any veteran RB that the team brings in is going to be there just to keep a rookie from having to completely carry the running game. The Lions aren't signing a guy to give 20+ carries to each week. 

8 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

Gore is pretty unexciting, but I feel like any veteran RB that the team brings in is going to be there just to keep a rookie from having to completely carry the running game. The Lions aren't signing a guy to give 20+ carries to each week. 

Most people just want the big names. Whatever name is currently being discussed is the guy Lions fans want at the moment. 

I thought Hyde was good value at the money he received. Wouldn't mind bringing in a few more guys (Jamaal Charles, Jeremy Hill, C.J. Spiller, etc) just to see how they look and sign one to a prove it deal to back up Abdullah/rookie

5 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Most people just want the big names. Whatever name is currently being discussed is the guy Lions fans want at the moment. 

I thought Hyde was good value at the money he received. Wouldn't mind bringing in a few more guys (Jamaal Charles, Jeremy Hill, C.J. Spiller, etc) just to see how they look and sign one to a prove it deal to back up Abdullah/rookie

Agreed on the name value.

You mean Riddick/rookie*

I know that you're advocating for him to be our slot guy but I think his value is where he is at RB. He's a reliable pass-catcher out of the backfield which is important. We can also have him run on occasion which at least forces the defense to question if this is the 1 out of 5 times he's going to run. You lose that (minor) element of surprise if you stick him solely in the slot.

I would actually prefer to bring in Hill (thanks for the reminder) than Gore or some of the other aging guys. He's young, he's big and still has stuff to prove. He has shown he can play in the league and should come very cheap. Gore/AP, Hill, Riddick, Green + rookie could be a decent mix. We're not going to be keeping  5 RB's but I'd like to see competition going into camp.

13 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I would actually prefer to bring in Hill (thanks for the reminder) than Gore or some of the other aging guys. He's young, he's big and still has stuff to prove. He has shown he can play in the league and should come very cheap. Gore/AP, Hill, Riddick, Green + rookie could be a decent mix. We're not going to be keeping  5 RB's but I'd like to see competition going into camp.

I think the Lions are specifically looking for an true veteran RB who will act more as a player/coach then going after another young RB. Lions will draft a RB and this will give them Ameer 24, Tion 24, Dwayne 24, Rookie 20-22, Riddick 26. Adding someone like Frank Gore who is mature, has lots of experience, is still productive can both add a boost to the run game and help mold the younger players and create a culture on the team. This is most likely why they have brought in Murray, Stewart, Gore for visits and not Hyde and Crowell. 

We've turned over our roster so much with draft picks, that I think we forget how young some of these groups really are. I believe that's why they spent money on veteran FA OL last season to pair with young draft picks in Decker/Glasgow/Swanson/etc. We re-signed a S like Wilson when we have Killebrew and Diggs there. We might go after an older DL to pair with A'Shawn/Ledbetter/Zettel/draft picks. I think veteran leadership is an aspect of the game that gets overlooked by fanbases but is quite valuable to teams. 

3 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I think the Lions are specifically looking for an true veteran RB who will act more as a player/coach then going after another young RB. Lions will draft a RB and this will give them Ameer 24, Tion 24, Dwayne 24, Rookie 20-22, Riddick 26. Adding someone like Frank Gore who is mature, has lots of experience, is still productive can both add a boost to the run game and help mold the younger players and create a culture on the team. This is most likely why they have brought in Murray, Stewart, Gore for visits and now Hyde and Crowell. 

We've turned over our roster so much with draft picks, that I think we forget how young some of these groups really are. I believe that's why they spent money on veteran FA OL last season to pair with young draft picks in Decker/Glasgow/Swanson/etc. We re-signed a S like Wilson when we have Killebrew and Diggs there. We might go after an older DL to pair with A'Shawn/Ledbetter/Zettel/draft picks. I think veteran leadership is an aspect of the game that gets overlooked by fanbases but is quite valuable to teams. 

I agree with you there. Too often as fans we look at names and stats without factoring in the intangibles that can make a huge difference on the field and in the W column.

I personally view Hill as an upgrade over Green or at least one with more upside. His market seems pretty quiet so far which is why I wouldn't mind bringing him on a 2 year deal with Gore. Riddick is the only RB spot that really is solidified. Otherwise Green, Washington and Abdullah could all be somewhere else come August.

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

I agree with you there. Too often as fans we look at names and stats without factoring in the intangibles that can make a huge difference on the field and in the W column.

I personally view Hill as an upgrade over Green or at least one with more upside. His market seems pretty quiet so far which is why I wouldn't mind bringing him on a 2 year deal with Gore. Riddick is the only RB spot that really is solidified. Otherwise Green, Washington and Abdullah could all be somewhere else come August.

I agree with you there, which is why I've been keeping an eye on him. IMO, no one should be safe from a unit who performed as badly as they did. Anywhere we can upgrade, we should be open to it. 

8 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Don't know how true the rumor is, but on Twitter word is around 8 teams are trying to sign Suh, he said he'll go to highest bidder, and Lions are reportedly one of the teams. 

I would love Suh back in Detroit, but I hate that its all about money.  Doesn't seem like he cares about winning much as long as he gets paid.

Archived