Irving gets 2nd Round Tender

textaz03

3 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

What makes youthink they wont resign him long term after this year? I dont get why you say that. Considering how disruptive he can be, why wouod they not invest in himif he continues to show improvement this year and remains out of trouble?

They don’t trust him to stay out of trouble, RKG, all that crap. 

He’s gone after this year.

I agree with those saying there’s no way this team signs Irving long term, but it sure would be nice to get Martin and Lawrence locked up so that we have the ability to tag Irving next year should he go out and put together a full season of the kind of dominance we’ve seen from him in stretches.

If they don’t feel comfortable signing him long term, though, it’s probably unlikely that they’d be able to stomach one year of him on franchise tag money.

10 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

How are you so sure?

Well for one the title of this thread speaks pretty loudly. Just read between the tea leaves a little bit.

And we’ll see. There are a lot of smart teams out there, I fully expect him to sign an offer sheet with a team picking in the later half of the 2nd. We won’t match.

31 minutes ago, DalCowboyzRule said:

They don’t trust him to stay out of trouble, RKG, all that crap. 

He’s gone after this year.

If that were the casw, why not go with a lower tender and bait a team into a late pick compensation, or just let him go entirely? 

I get RKG, but this isnt a woman beating, drug peddling, drug abusing criminal - this is a dude who made a mistake with a substance and hasnt had much of a history of behavior like that. I can see them.letting him ride the year out, seeing him stay clear of mistakes, and paying him well if he continues to show he can be what he has shown he can be.

13 minutes ago, DalCowboyzRule said:

Well for one the title of this thread speaks pretty loudly. Just read between the tea leaves a little bit.

And we’ll see. There are a lot of smart teams out there, I fully expect him to sign an offer sheet with a team picking in the later half of the 2nd. We won’t match.

Well I agree with you that the FO has lost at least one of two of its balls and don't pony up for great players. But them staying cheap is nothing new these last few years. H3nce the Twill resign instead of heading to FA to get a new 2nd. 

2 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

If that were the casw, why not go with a lower tender and bait a team into a late pick compensation, or just let him go entirely?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the 2nd round tender is the lowest they can go and still get something in return if he signs elsewhere.

And they aren't going to just let him go because he's a good player making peanuts.

I don't believe they trust him enough to give him a long term, big money deal, which is what it's going to take to keep him after this season. That's it.

Just now, Calvert28 said:

Well I agree with you that the FO has lost at least one of two of its balls and don't pony up for great players. But them staying cheap is nothing new these last few years. H3nce the Twill resign instead of heading to FA to get a new 2nd. 

The guys available last year were not very good and all got overpaid. 

Everyone has a love obsession with Jeffery, but he did similar stats to Dez on a similar payday and everyone wants Dez gone. The other guys available would have a lot to learn coming here, and those who didnt, gor paid far more and put forth much less.

I hate Williams. I always was against what he brings. But i understood the signing solely for how he fits what we are trying to do with him - block, make tough inside grabs, and occassionally eat an outside target or two. But he got even sloppier after he got paid, and I said it last year and Ill say it again - cheap or not, it was too big of a payout for someone who has never shown an ability to be consistent at any level of his play.

Just now, DalCowboyzRule said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the 2nd round tender is the lowest they can go and still get something in return if he signs elsewhere.

And they aren't going to just let him go because he's a good player making peanuts.

I don't believe they trust him enough to give him a long term, big money deal, which is what it's going to take to keep him after this season. That's it.

Honestly im not sure. Im mkre the scout and coach type. Ill let you FO types answer that one :P

1 minute ago, DalCowboyzRule said:

There's an "original round tender" which is lower than a 2nd round tender, but since he was an UDFA that wouldn't have netted us anything.

But still much cheaper, yeah? So we could have paid him much less and maybe got nothing back...why not pay him much less if we dont have plans for him in the future?

1 hour ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

You and I can agree that his value - given the position - easily warrents a first.

But let me ask this. If you are convinced Dallas does not trust him enough to ever sign him long term and sooner (next year) rather than later he will walk. What would you prefer:

Keep him for a year and get a 3rd round comp pick in 2 years (assuming we don't sign anyone comparable).

Let him walk for a 2nd this year.

Now this is only in the condition that we really don't feel like keeping him long term.

I can still franchise him next year. Things can change quickly, especially for a guy that very well could be an all-pro next year.

There are two reasons, and two reasons only, that I don't try everything in my power to keep a guy like this for the long-term: 1) If the guy is so toxic that he can't function in and NFL lockerroom a la Greg Hardy, or 2) they think his head issues are permanent. Neither of those things seem to be the case.

10 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

But still much cheaper, yeah? So we could have paid him much less and maybe got nothing back...why not pay him much less if we dont have plans for him in the future?

I mean, if they thought a team would give up a 2nd round pick for him, why would they tender him lower than that?

Also, there is a giant chasm between not wanting to sign a guy for the long-term and wanting to give him up for free.

1 hour ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

It's not really that dumb.   Think about it.   If he gets a 1st round tender, it's likely no one offers him a contract.    If he agrees to a contract with someone now,  it's more likely he signs a shorter deal, whereas if he had another good year,  he would be looking for a 5-7 year huge deal.    Stephen Jones can get a peak into how other teams value him. 

Why would I want someone to offer him a contract? I don't want to lose my stud pass rusher.

Archived