2017/18 EPL Thread - City Champs

UKTexans

10 hours ago, The LBC said:

I just speak from the position as someone who played at a high level and both won and conceded a fair amount of PK's.  I found it hilarious listening to Lee Dixon (I love Lee, but he's like Dan Fouts calling Chargers games when he calls Arsenal matches - though I think in fairness to him it's because he just flatly expect a much higher standard out of the club) and then later to the Robbies in the studio quibbling over how you couldn't really be sure if it was enough force to bring Hazard down.  I've made those kind of kicks and I've taken those kind of kicks... trust me, if an upward kick to the sole of the foot is enough to bowl you over the way Hazard went down, the entire leg of your contacted foot is going to fly up and away from the contact - Hazard's barely moves, just a little jerk upward and he collapses like his plant leg just gave out on him.

Yep, I've played as well, in defense. I've booted the bottom of someone's boot before trying to clear a ball and all that happened was I broke a toe, and he carried on like nothing happened. It's frustrating, but I don't know what the answer is. Even the blatant penalties, where they have fouled in the box, is met with amateur dramatics. 

10 hours ago, marky mark said:

Holding and Chambers aren't good enough. Morata should've had a hat-trick lol.

Very impressed with Maitland-Niles though.

Holding was awful. Not going for headers, not blocking crosses and shots. Fortunately, it looked like his man was Bakayoko who's even worse.

54 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Maybe because I didn’t watch it on TV, but it’s from what I saw he didn’t give the ball away like he has done in quite a number of games. So in what aspect? 

You didn't watch? Well then....

His positioning was all over the place. He wasn't forming a shied in the MF 3, defensive workrate was almost none-existent. It was so easy for Arsenal to bypass the midfield with only 2 out of 3 in position. He was wasteful with two chances, as well. For a big cart horse type player, he's very easily dispossessed. If he was brought in to be Matic's replacement, then it's a bad result.

29 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

You didn't watch? Well then....

His positioning was all over the place. He wasn't forming a shied in the MF 3, defensive workrate was almost none-existent. It was so easy for Arsenal to bypass the midfield with only 2 out of 3 in position. He was wasteful with two chances, as well. For a big cart horse type player, he's very easily dispossessed. If he was brought in to be Matic's replacement, then it's a bad result.

I watched it at the Stadium. I think that’s by design, that’s why I asked in what aspect because Conte seems to have him further forward. Not necessarily due to defensive awareness. Otherwise you just have Hazard and Morata up by themselves. If he was asked to be deployed deep then fine I get it but I think he was intended highest upfield of the three. Wasteful, I can’t remember the second one but the first one was not wasteful. It wasn’t easy and it’s on his weaker side. See yesterday his ball retention was fine. But it has been a problem in a number of other games. He isn’t a Matic replacement because they aren’t the same player. 

2 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

I watched it at the Stadium. I think that’s by design, that’s why I asked in what aspect because Conte seems to have him further forward. Not necessarily due to defensive awareness. Otherwise you just have Hazard and Morata up by themselves. If he was asked to be deployed deep then fine I get it but I think he was intended highest upfield of the three.

He's part of the three, and as such, has defensive responsibilities. Even if he is asked to be more advanced. There was hardly any presence or closing down. Neville also mentioned this

2 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Wasteful, I can’t remember the second one but the first one was not wasteful. It wasn’t easy and it’s on his weaker side. See yesterday his ball retention was fine. But it has been a problem in a number of other games. He isn’t a Matic replacement because they aren’t the same player. 

If it didn't go in, it's wasteful. He wasted a chance.....

15 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

He's part of the three, and as such, has defensive responsibilities. Even if he is asked to be more advanced. There was hardly any presence or closing down. Neville also mentioned this

If it didn't go in, it's wasteful. He wasted a chance.....

Wasteful is missing a chance you’re supposed to score. That’s being wasteful.

Never said he didn’t have defensive responsibilities. If Ozil is coming deep to collect the ball, there’s nothing he can do there. And closing down is a united effort not one player. If he closes down and vacates even more space than it’s just “wasteful”

1 minute ago, Kip Smithers said:

Wasteful is missing a chance you’re supposed to score. That’s being wasteful.

Never said he didn’t have defensive responsibilities. If Ozil is coming deep to collect the ball, there’s nothing he can do there. And closing down is a united effort not one player. If he closes down and vacates even more space than it’s just “wasteful”

Didn't say it wasn't a team effort. He wasn't contributing to team effort. Did you not see Cesc get annoyed at him, given you were there?

He's been a disappointment, and you know it. You're just being your usual contrarian tedious self. Find me a good performance in a CFC shirt. 

5 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Didn't say it wasn't a team effort. He wasn't contributing to team effort. Did you not see Cesc get annoyed at him, given you were there?

He's been a disappointment, and you know it. You're just being your usual contrarian tedious self. Find me a good performance in a CFC shirt. 

Lol I’m being contrarian? That’s funny. If I was saying he was great you’d have a point but you’d quickly realise that I have never said that. I saw Cesc get annoyed at it for not controlling a good pass. So no I did not see Cesc complaining about his defensive positioning. If you have watched Chelsea you would know that he had a good start to career and has tailed off since then. And then in these past couple of weeks he a stretch of games where he was playing well. So to answer your question yes he has had a good performance in a Chelsea shirt. Has he been disappointing? Yes. I expected him to be better but that will come 

14 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Holding was awful. Not going for headers, not blocking crosses and shots. Fortunately, it looked like his man was Bakayoko who's even worse.

Chambers was the worst of the 3 imo. Mustafi was at fault for Chelsea's 2nd goal. Just awful defending overall.

1 hour ago, marky mark said:

Chambers was the worst of the 3 imo. Mustafi was at fault for Chelsea's 2nd goal. Just awful defending overall.

On the topic of defending, Christensen is an absolute stud. After Toby and VVD, I don’t think there is a better CB than him.

Archived