2017/18 EPL Thread - City Champs

UKTexans

10 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

What a GAME.

Morata was dreadful and really let us off the hook. But yet another soft penalty given against us, getting ridiculous now. 

Pretty much.  If there were points awarded for Entertainment Value to a Neutral Fan, we'd be right up there with City this season.

The penalty was certainly soft, but I don't think there's any denying there was contact.  My bigger issue with it is that there's both clear contact AND a blatant simulation by Hazard.  There's a part of me that feels like the laws of the game need to be revisited to at minimum book the offensive player in that instance with a yellow even if he does win a free kick.  Effectively puts the simulation and "making a meal of things" in the hands of the players; you want to embellish and overact to try and ensure drawing the penalty (i.e. influence the referees decision versus just letting the officials make the call) you run the increased risk of picking up a yellow and putting yourself one poor challenge or accidental foul away from being sent off.

I think what makes the penalty awarded to Hazard much less palatable is that it's light contact and the same amount of contact (i.e. contact that really wasn't enough to bring the player down they way they went down) was made on Maitland-Niles in the box  by Moses in the first half and wasn't awarded a penalty.

20 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Pretty much.  If there were points awarded for Entertainment Value to a Neutral Fan, we'd be right up there with City this season.

The penalty was certainly soft, but I don't think there's any denying there was contact.  My bigger issue with it is that there's both clear contact AND a blatant simulation by Hazard.  There's a part of me that feels like the laws of the game need to be revisited to at minimum book the offensive player in that instance with a yellow even if he does win a free kick.  Effectively puts the simulation and "making a meal of things" in the hands of the players; you want to embellish and overact to try and ensure drawing the penalty (i.e. influence the referees decision versus just letting the officials make the call) you run the increased risk of picking up a yellow and putting yourself one poor challenge or accidental foul away from being sent off.

Would potentially open a can of worms for when players genuinely are injured or in pain. Refs would need to be able to read acting as well as the game. I agree though, I hate simulation. But they simulate to ensure the penalty/FK.

20 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I think what makes the penalty awarded to Hazard much less palatable is that it's light contact and the same amount of contact (i.e. contact that really wasn't enough to bring the player down they way they went down) was made on Maitland-Niles in the box  by Moses in the first half and wasn't awarded a penalty.

Exactly. This needs to change. If they don't go down, they don't get the pen. Broken.

3 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Would potentially open a can of worms for when players genuinely are injured or in pain. Refs would need to be able to read acting as well as the game. I agree though, I hate simulation. But they simulate to ensure the penalty/FK.

Exactly. This needs to change. If they don't go down, they don't get the pen. Broken.

I just speak from the position as someone who played at a high level and both won and conceded a fair amount of PK's.  I found it hilarious listening to Lee Dixon (I love Lee, but he's like Dan Fouts calling Chargers games when he calls Arsenal matches - though I think in fairness to him it's because he just flatly expect a much higher standard out of the club) and then later to the Robbies in the studio quibbling over how you couldn't really be sure if it was enough force to bring Hazard down.  I've made those kind of kicks and I've taken those kind of kicks... trust me, if an upward kick to the sole of the foot is enough to bowl you over the way Hazard went down, the entire leg of your contacted foot is going to fly up and away from the contact - Hazard's barely moves, just a little jerk upward and he collapses like his plant leg just gave out on him.

Archived