Lions released TE Eric Ebron

flyguy1609

19 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

You only make this move if you know you have a good shot at a player like Suh. You don't dump one of your best weapons for nothing if you don't have a damn good shot at using that cap space to get a great player. Something better be lined up. 

I also guess this means we won't see much from the TE position unless a good TE falls to like the 5th round. 

One of their best weapons? He’s inconsistent, can’t block has to many drops and I put him behind Jones, Tate, Golladay and Riddick. He just isn’t worth the money.

We shall see about them going after a big player. Don’t you think it’s more likely they simply sign players that represent improvement at multiple positions rather than a splash signing?

It did cross my mind that a trade might be in the works. Perhaps AA or Riddick and picks for a dlineman. Then draft a RB. 

1 hour ago, diehardlionfan said:

He’s inconsistent, can’t block has to many drops

This isn't true. His blocking was much better, he had some of the most consistent production among TE's in the NFL, his production was among the best in the NFL after his wife had his first child (lifting a lot of the stress get was under), and he had one of the best drop rates among TE's in the NFL last year. He was their 3rd most dangerous weapon last year behind two very good WR's in Golden Tate and Marvin Jones. Golladay barely played because of injuries and Riddick was barely used compared to previous years. You're letting your frustration that he didn't live up to the 10th pick cloud your judgement. He isn't Odell, he isn't Donald, he isn't Lewan, he isn't Martin, but that doesn't mean he sucks. 

I expect a "splash" signing because they need starters at DT and LG. Starters at those spots command big $ in free agency typically. 

I don't agree with almost any of that. Sure his draft status was unfortunate, but there is a reason a guy like Fells saw so much action last year. Ebron was almost never a good player for us, outside of a couple of short stretches... the longest of which was the most recent.

Ebron came on big the last quarter of the season. Before that, he might have improved on his drop rate, but he still had several drive killing drops.

I'm surprised to see him dropped for nothing, and without an apparent plant to replace him. 

4 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

This isn't true. His blocking was much better, he had some of the most consistent production among TE's in the NFL, his production was among the best in the NFL after his wife had his first child (lifting a lot of the stress get was under), and he had one of the best drop rates among TE's in the NFL last year. He was their 3rd most dangerous weapon last year behind two very good WR's in Golden Tate and Marvin Jones. Golladay barely played because of injuries and Riddick was barely used compared to previous years. You're letting your frustration that he didn't live up to the 10th pick cloud your judgement. He isn't Odell, he isn't Donald, he isn't Lewan, he isn't Martin, but that doesn't mean he sucks. 

I expect a "splash" signing because they need starters at DT and LG. Starters at those spots command big $ in free agency typically. 

While better his blocking wasn’t good enough. What you’ve described is inconsistency. He did reduce his drops but I expect he will regress.  Riddick caught the same amount of balls as Ebron. Which was the same amount he caught in 2016. His yards from scrimmage were within 2 Of the previous year so I don’t understand how he was barely used. Golladay battled injury but that didn’t stop him from having impact and having a 17  yard per catch average. You rank him much higher than I do.

You suggest I’m letting my frustration cloud my judgement. I disagree and I would put it to you that it’s likely your Ebron crush is manifesting itself. ?

Time will tell. We will see what type of offer he signs. 

Archived