Packers Sign Kyle Fuller to Offer Sheet

Packerraymond

2 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

Yeah I have to think Gutey and Ball are privy to some other information or did something sneaky here bc I can’t believe they think they can just straight up sign him from the bears without being matched. 

Gotta be another plan and not as cut and dry as thinking we can just sign him, right?

Until we have a better idea of the contract, and more importantly the structure of the contract it's really a guessing game.   I'm not confident that the Bears won't match, especially to a divisional rival.  But I also don't think the Packers would have hamstrung themselves.  Can anyone confirm if the offer sheet ties up part of our cap?

2 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

Yeah I have to think Gutey and Ball are privy to some other information or did something sneaky here bc I can’t believe they think they can just straight up sign him from the bears without being matched. 

Gotta be another plan and not as cut and dry as thinking we can just sign him, right?

Something weird is probably going down, but I get the distinct feeling that Gute somehow caught them with their pants down. Whether that's straight up acquiring Fuller or just ******* with their cap, will be interesting to see play out. 

46 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Good point.  Can someone who knows for sure clarify on this? 

I believe (and don't quote me on this), the tender doesn't count until he signs the tag.  So if he sign his transition tender, then it counts against the cap.  I'd ASSUME that if he sign an offer sheet he had to have signed his tender at some point.  Whether that was now or earlier this offseason I couldn't tell you.

1 minute ago, Kepler said:

Something weird is probably going down, but I get the distinct feeling that Gute somehow caught them with their pants down. Whether that's straight up acquiring Fuller or just ******* with their cap, will be interesting to see play out. 

It's not worth it to try to mess with a weak sister division rival. We just really want Fuller which makes sense to me. I thought he was theost attractive FA in this class.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

It's not worth it to try to mess with a weak sister division rival. We just really want Fuller which makes sense to me. I thought he was theost attractive FA in this class.

I think the bears will threaten to match and the Packers might end up sending them a middle round pick if it comes down to it.  I don't see Fuller returning to the Bears.  

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

Interested to see the details on the offer sheet. 

CHI does have a good amount of cap space, and likely would match unless GB was able to structure it in a way that would prohibit CHI from doing so.

Putting the chances of GB getting Fuller at less than 20% pending contract structure

Putting the odds on the 20% being completely arbitrary at 100% ;)

1 hour ago, Slinky said:

I'm pissed at my guy tho. The last info he gave me never came to fruition. Ha. We were interested in Melvin tho. It just didn't work out for us.

He also told me we were interested in Graham right away, but the interest wasn't "real strong"/ Maybe that was the case and something changed.

Honestly, I don't really pay much attention to "insiders".  They're good nuggets to chew on for a while, but I don't put any stock into them.  No offense.  As for Jimmy Graham, I don't think the Packers were really viewed as the favorites for Jimmy Graham until Schefter or Rappaport (or whoever it was) reported that Graham and the Saints had hit a snag in discussions.

Just now, Kepler said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transition_tag

According to this wiki page poison pills were done away with in 2011. So I guess Gute can't go that route. 

He could offer him a one-year deal with a guarantee there will be no TAG applied. Also, what is the definition 'poison pill'? With Hutchinson the Seahawks guaranteed he'd be the top paid guard for several years if memory serves me correct. 

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

He could offer him a one-year deal with a guarantee there will be no TAG applied. Also, what is the definition 'poison pill'? With Hutchinson the Seahawks guaranteed he'd be the top paid guard for several years if memory serves me correct. 

No.  Hutchinson's clause was that unless he was the highest paid OL on his team, his contract would be fully guaranteed.  I don't what the NFL officially calls a poison pill, but I'd imagine it'd negates any kind of random kind of clause that triggers stuff.  If the Packers want to poison pill, it has to come via structure.

2 minutes ago, Golfman said:

According to the CBA 

"No Offer Sheet may contain a Principal Term that would create rights or obligations for the Old Club that differ in any way (including but not limited to the amount of compensation that would be paid, the circumstances in which compensation would be guaranteed, or the circumstances in which other contractual rights would or would not vest) from the rights or obligations that such Principal Term would create for the Club extending the Offer Sheet (i.e., no 'poison pills')."

Just now, CWood21 said:

No.  Hutchinson's clause was that unless he was the highest paid OL on his team, his contract would be fully guaranteed.  I don't what the NFL officially calls a poison pill, but I'd imagine it'd negates any kind of random kind of clause that triggers stuff.  If the Packers want to poison pill, it has to come via structure.

No tag guarantees are part of contracts. Nate Solder was a free agent because his contract had one in it. 

Just now, Golfman said:

No tag guarantees are part of contracts. Nate Solder was a free agent because his contract had one in it. 

That's not really a poison pill though.  It's very possible that the Packers offered a big 1 year deal with the promise not to tag clause.  That's just forcing Chicago's hands.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's not really a poison pill though.  It's very possible that the Packers offered a big 1 year deal with the promise not to tag clause.  That's just forcing Chicago's hands.

It means the kid only plays one more year in Chicago at most. 

Archived